Why become a member? ×

Happy being average

Nicko

I'm an OK bass player. I keep decent time with the drums and play covers pretty much as the originals. Its unlikely anyone will ever come up to me and tell me I'm a great bass player. Thats fine with me, as long as they think the band is great.

It might be because II have never excelled at anything in life (except my job which I dont really enjoy and I'm currently unemployed anyway),. I keep telling myself thats because I just haven't found the thing that I do better than everyone else but really I suspect its because I lack the dedication to push myself further and get better.

Is this normal?

I like to think i'm average, but every now and again I start thinking i'm way below as i have absolutely no confidence. Then i dig out one of my old prog demo's and feel better until i remember the reviews we used to get, great drummer/guitarist/singer.....no mention of bass. Ah well, I'm happy.

It`s fine to be "average". Some people have more drive, determination, competetive personalities etc. A guy my Mum went out with when I was in my teens was one of the cleverset people either of us have ever met, yet he did jobs like taxi driver, carpet fitter, bricklayer etc. His views on this were that his aim in life was to be happy, and he was happiest earning a few bob then having a pint/fag/bet with his mates. I`m pretty similar, if I play a game of pool I like playing the game, whereas for some winning is their aim. I`m probably a fair bit cleverer than many of my mates who have gone on to earn pretty high salaries and have high-flying jobs, but I have very little drive or ambition. I`m the same with music really, I`ll learn to play what is needed, and will also learn songs that I like, but I don`t really push myself to learn other styles, hey, it took me 30 years to attempt to play with fingers rather than a pick. To sum it up Nicko, if it doesn`t bother you then what`s the problem, if it does, then the world is your lobster so to speak, set out to do more, but aim for what is achievable.

I've got to the stage where I'm happy with my skill level, I can pick up and play the majority of lines I'm asked to learn or come up with and the rest can be either nailed with some practice or in rare cases, simplified.

I'm still toying with the idea of working my way through "The Evolving Bassist" purely to improve my improv skills but that's about it. I'd rather come up with interesting lines than play in a flashy way 99% of the audience won't care about!

There's a saying which goes along the lines of 'we can't all lead the orchestra'. I was in my 30s before I took up music-making and started off singing (classical). I'm a competent choral bass baritone, I can sight-read to a decent standard and I've sung in some prety prestigious gigs. I sometimes get asked to dep with chamber choirs singing at cathedrals. I'm good at choral singing however, I have no desire to be a soloist.

Roll forwards to my 50s and I decided to take up cello and sax at the same time (more or less). I had done some cello at school. I am nowhwere near as good a player as I am a singer (I'm about G7 on cello and G3 on sax). But I play with various orchestras, bands and ensembles and people pay to hear me play...

Now I'm trying BG. I'm a rank beginner, but last week the swing band I play tenor sax in was short of anyone to play the bass, so I took my bass along and had a go. I simplified the parts, sticking stuff in on the main beat and avoiding trying anythign twiddly.

Some people never try - they sit at home and never play with others because they're 'not good enough'. Both my sax teacher and cello teacher like the fact that I'm prepared to 'have a go' and join groups and play. So many never do.

So, if you play with a group for your own pleasure, there's nothing wrong with that - you're doing a lot more than millions of others. It's infinitely preferable to a night of soap operas and worse.

No matter how good you get there is always going to be someone so much better than you that it's not really worth worrying about.

As long as you can play the stuff you want then no problem.

Edit see thread on eleven year old.

Edited by Cato

I have always assumed I was an average bass player. Recently, I heard a live recording of the band and was quietly impressed with myself.
The whole band was tight and the runs and fills I played complemented the songs well.
The guitarist once told me that I was the best bassist he had ever played with, and several bassists from other bands have complimented my playing.
But still I think I,m average. :)

I have absolutely no drive, competitive spirit or work ethic whatsoever.
I got to the level my bass playing is at now many years ago - to have taken it further would have required far more effort than I wanted to give it.
It's not just bass playing, I'm the same with everything & I have to say it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Edited by RhysP

I think I'm below average (root notes are my favourites and often songs will be simplified) but I'm in three bands, raging from middle of the road pop/AOR to heavy metal, and everyone seems happy enough. I know I should be a lot better (but I don't think I could be better, my ability just isn't there), but I'm happy enough so I've given up stressing about it :)

Depends who you're comparing yourself against to whether your average anyway doesn't it?
I'm piss poor compared to Victor :rolleyes: :lol:
But I don't ever want to be average/mediocre at anything. That's just me. I think it's more of a mindset than a measuring stick though if that makes sense?
That's not me saying i am the best at anything, i'm obviously not. But i'm not willing to "settle" for mediocre.
If i'm into doing something, i always want to be best I can be at it.
Saying this though, there is definitely nothing wrong with going about things your way.
If you're happy, who's to argue?

I'm no mathematician but surely we can't all be average. We need some above and below average players to chip in here so we know what we're measuring ourselves against, although I don't really know how you measure the quality of bass playing.
For me, I just really enjoy playing and I've never been chucked out of a band for being rubbish, and that's all I need really.

I like to play new things. Usually that's original stuff that either I've written, or someone asks me to write a part for. I regularly come up with ideas that I can't actually play, and so have to practise them. Even if it only takes 5 minutes practise to be able to play the idea, it's still progress, and I'm still a better player. If you don't have similar experiences then I guess you're just always playing stuff that's easily within your abilities. There's nothing wrong with that at all! As long as your enjoying yourself!

What worries me is that I've met several players who consider themselves "average and happy" IE not willing to push themselves or practise, and yet they are trying to play beyond their abilities. There are absolutely loads of bands with bassists and/or drummers who can't actually play the material they're trying to play (to a good standard) and are not aware that they're below par. It really winds me up! Obviously you get these buys on other instruments too, but they can kind of get away with it

[quote name='IainS' timestamp='1474987870' post='3142073']
I'm no mathematician but surely we can't all be average...
[/quote]

[pedantry] Well, mathematically, we can. If everyone was the same, any one would be average, as would any other one.[/pedantry]
Not that it matters a jot, of course. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1474988575' post='3142082']
[pedantry] Well, mathematically, we can. If everyone was the same, any one would be average, as would any other one.[/pedantry]
[/quote]

But we're all individuals - except for me, of course!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1474988575' post='3142082']
[/quote]

I'm no mathematician, but what is the chance (or is it probability) of us all being the same? :rolleyes:

You carry on with what makes you happy. If your putting yourself out there with the rest of us weekend warriors then, you deserve respect. I would consider myself happy and average! I'd rather be like that than some players I've seen who have illusory Superiority. Those who over estimate their ability. I'd rather be average and enjoying my playing.