Why become a member? ×

NBD: Tonight Matthew I want to be Rick Danko

Cat Burrito

Okay so it isn't the original Ampeg bass but don't fret (or in this case add 20 of them) clearly it's based on the model made famous by the likes of Rick Danko. It probably came to my attention via The Black Crowes with Johnny Colt playing his one on the Remedy video shoot. Mine of course is the Eastwood guitars version. I opted for Sunburst and frets.

[url="http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Tim_73/media/IMG_0100_zps9abt7qin.jpg.html"][/url]

My early assessment is that it sounds good. It sounds very good. I'll probably lose the stock roundwound strings and stick some flats on it (why I'm entertaining this with a "probably" is beyond me, I always wind up doing it!). I really like the headstock and the fact that you can look through the bass (cat model: Sneaky Pete).

[url="http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Tim_73/media/ampeg_zpsobweoxcw.jpg.html"][/url]

If I were to pick nits with it, the body is smaller than I had hoped (I'm 6ft3) and the barely visable but great sounding pickup looks more like a late 70s aftermarket modification. The bridge and control knobs are standard Precision type and the balance and finish is great. I currently have a 50s RI P-bass and a Hofner verithin so I thought this would be a great retro themed third bass.

Oh and I bought it from Reverb (via directly from Eastwood guitars - bizarrely £30 cheaper than just going direct to the guitar company). Reverb seem like a decent alternative to EBay and the like... although I base that of course on just one purchase.

[quote name='Mariner72' timestamp='1475003301' post='3142256']What sort of a band are you using this with, and what are you going to run it through?
[/quote]

An originals band, the rockier side of Americana (I guess) - somewhere between Dylan and the Stones. I have an Ampeg Portaflex fliptop rig.

I've since noticed Eastwood shipped it without the chrome bridge cover and I will be wanting that too.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1475050012' post='3142523']
I've since noticed Eastwood shipped it without the chrome bridge cover and I will be wanting that too.
[/quote]

I think it would look nicer with a something like Gibson EB-style pickup cover instead of the P-bass bridge cover they supply.

Squarer, and more kinda Ampeggy.

A bit like this, if it covered the bridge... [url="http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/images/large/EBAC-C.jpg"]http://www.guitarpar...arge/EBAC-C.jpg[/url]

Edited by KK Jale

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1475051471' post='3142544']
Weight?
[/quote]

They did other songs! :rolleyes: Nah, it's a fairly average weight. I thought it'd be light because of those hugs F holes but it's a mahogany body so the F holes balance it out nicely.

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1475066903' post='3142750']Is the bridge screwed down on top of the guard, as reputed?
[/quote]

It is indeed. Strings loading through the back rather than through the body.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1475069265' post='3142768']And.. is Sneaky Pete clean now? ;)
[/quote]

He's a law unto himself that one!

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1475071629' post='3142797']
Damn it, I'd forgotten these existed, and now I want one (but without all those pesky frets)
[/quote]

A couple of you mentioned the fretless versions and my good lady said last night I should have got the fretless. I have an upright so I guess I was just anticipating being lazy!

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1475345833' post='3145286']What's the neck like? I've wanted one (preferably fretless) for a while, but I heard the neck is a bit of a treetrunk.[/quote]

I prefer a thicker neck ever since I started playing upright bass and I like this one. It's probably not to your tastes but not the thickest I've had.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1475353421' post='3145370']
I prefer a thicker neck ever since I started playing upright bass and I like this one. It's probably not to your tastes but not the thickest I've had.
[/quote]

Thanks. Funny thing, I find thicker necks much less of an issue with fretless than with fretted. So I'm still trying to stave off the GAS... :D