Why become a member? ×

New Strings for Fretless. NOT flat wound or Nylon!!!

zawinul

ok just to bug you bassheads again

looks like I need new strings

Want bright bouncy, funky strings fro my fretless. not flatwound dull ****, or nylon

don;t want my freless to sound like a double bass .... want lots of treble and harmonics etc

OK so currently Rotosound steel=, light gauge, need heavier gauge but think Rotosound not very er um 'refined' ... prepared to spend a bit more cash to get right thing...

So good quality bright strings any suggestions please!!!

cheers for all your help in earlier post much appreciated !!!

I've always used roundwounds on fretless. Currently have Warwick EMPs on my Thumb BO. Never worried about chewing up the board. Always had ebony boards. Does leave a few marks but after a while the marks don't get any worse. Tried flatwounds, halfrounds and tapewounds... but never liked the sound. The bass is there to be played... so go for it.

Half rounds? I recommend the Status ones.

Pressurewounds (SIT Silencers perhaps?) for something a bit brighter.

But if you don't mind grazing your fingerboard and fingertips, roundwound steels will sound pretty lively!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1475101444' post='3143151']
Half rounds? I recommend the Status ones.

Pressurewounds (SIT Silencers perhaps?) for something a bit brighter.

But if you don't mind grazing your fingerboard and fingertips, roundwound steels will sound pretty lively!
[/quote]

I've never used half rounds myself, but was just wondering whether you'd considered them? Might be worth a try?
I recently re-strung a bass with some [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]D'Addario heavy gauge round wounds, and am quite pleased with them.

Good luck with your search, and don't forget to let us know how you get on - particularly if you use half rounds
Maybe one day I'll get round to trying some myself :)[/font][/color]

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1475136636' post='3143255']
I have some on my fretless; ridiculous amounts of mwah with a low action, as smooth as flats but a bit more lively!
[/quote]

Thanks for that Dannybouy. I've heard others say similar positive things about half rounds.
For me, Flats always seem too high tension-wise, and I feel my left hand drag too much for my liking. I've got TI Flats on my fretless, so they're nice & low tension, but still don't feel quite as comfortable to play as rounds...

Let me know what you think re tension Dannybouy - I'd be interested to hear

Cheers