Why become a member? ×

Why did you choose your luthier?

BassApprentice

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1475276134' post='3144765']

I had to read that twice. I was wondering why you were going to a lazy luthier!
[/quote]

Haha,no she isn't lazy at all I took the bass in without a appointment after finding what could have been a serious problem and she had it sorted for me to collect the following Saturday. Very good service from Helen at Tim Toft violins, credit where it's due :)

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1475262983' post='3144604']
Are "Luther built" basses any better than those produced by larger manufacturers? I wouldn't necessarily expect a guy in a backstreet garage to build a better car than a well known manuacturer in a multimillion pound factory.
[/quote]

Some luthiers certainly are... by a country mile, IME

I chose a zoot bass for a number of reasons. Firstly I like to support my local businesses. If you don't use them you lose them! Secondly I'd had mike do some set ups and repairs and while at his workshop had always marvelled at the instruments he was building, his attention to detail and the immense knowledge of the guy. So when I decided I wanted a bass combining the best of my vintage instruments with something a bit more modern I knew where to go. I loved that I could choose everything from my woods, number of frets, headstock and body shapes, hardware, pick ups, neck profile, exact measurements of my compound radius etc etc. I have loved the fact I've been able to go to the workshop to oversee the exact shaping of the body contours and neck profile and make sure it all feels perfect and comfortable for me. It's not yet finished but if it's not all I hoped for (it will be!) I guess it's only me to blame! One example of the kind of attention to detail is the way mike went through all the neck woods he had to find one that rang a perfect 5th above the body to ensure the neck and body really sing together. I guess the only downside of such a build is its so specific to me I doubt it'll have much of a 2nd hand value but I'm certainly not planning on selling it on!

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1475262983' post='3144604']
Are "Luther built" basses any better than those produced by larger manufacturers? I wouldn't necessarily expect a guy in a backstreet garage to build a better car than a well known manuacturer in a multimillion pound factory.
[/quote][quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1475262983' post='3144604']
[/quote]

I rebuilt my MG midget in a single garage from the ground up over a number of years and I know for a fact that the panel fit is far better than any midget coming off the production line in Abingdon. In keeping with the upmarket bass analogy, I've modified the engine and suspension so it runs and handles better than original and it has a much nicer candy apple paint job. You'd have to pay a car manufacturer an awful lot of money to get your production line motor made that little bit more individual.

Back on topic, I bought my first Alembic from a shop and loved the quality so much there was no question over who would be building my 2 customs. The best bit is, they're a really small outfit and treat every customer like one of the family.

Well I have several ACGs and only one Fender.

I find the individual attention you get from a top luthier, in my case from Alan at AC, is invaluable in providing advice and guidance on the build. I think the back street garage comparison is not really comparing apples with apples so I'll let it be.

It's is of course a very personal thing and many people don't like 'coffee table' basses. I just happen to admire the attention to detail, the craftmanship and the complete dismay of the luthier if the bass is not perfect for the customer.

How to choose?

I would first write down the sound and style of bass I wanted.

Then I would research for a Luthier that made similar basses.

Then, I would call them and see what responses I got. Then I would look at the testimonials and decide.

However, the gamble is the feel of the neck. It's the one reason to be cautious IMHO. If you can play their other instruments then this vastly reduces the gamble.

Davo

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1475079762' post='3142902']
I ordered one from Sei having looked at the market and not been overly impressed with the offerings. MP told me..and showed me, that he would make a far better bass for the money, which at that time was about £1500.
He was correct and altho now his prices are nearly double..and his lead time around a year, I'd still go there for a custom bass.

His build and his workmanship make sure you end up with a unqiue personal custom bass which really works.
Altho he will fine tune his designs with thing like neck profile etc etc ... he has been doing it for long enough to know and advise what works.

The biggest single mistake in my book is picking unknown combination woods, but since all are active... this is less of a problem.
However, I think the bass HAS to work passively as well, and by that I mean it should great passive and not HAVE to rely of the Elecs 'saving' it..which it probably wont 100%

IMO.
[/quote] I didn't order one but the experience of owning a Sei was pretty amazing. To play and hold it just felt really special. Can't put my finger on it

Part of owning a luthier built bass is that you can own something truly unique that has been hand built from scratch to meet your own needs.
I happen to own two ACG custom spec basses, both of which were 'stock' instruments up for sale on the ACG website.
I had been a fan of ACG for a while, my eyes were sore from reading all the reviews. I just happened to see, what was in my opinion, the most wonderful looking bass I'd ever seen and, after being assured by Alan that if I was in anyway unhappy with it I could send it back, I took the plunge.
I don't have a single regret.

Alan made an offer that I couldn't refuse the other month and I ended up with another one.
They are both very different but have a similar feel, one being a 5 string fretted, the other being a fretless 4.
I will be speaking to Alan in the new year about an Über spec build. This will be something very special for me but will be made to suit my needs at half the price of Fender Master built precision that looks like any other Fender precision to the untrained eye at a distance of about 5 feet.
The options are, to a degree, open ended. Single cut, double cut, 4,5,6 or more strings, fretless, headless, Scale, whatever.
Apart from the res-o-lite tuners everything about an ACG has had Alan's input.
Don't start me on neck and body options... or tops... Jeez!!
Why would I ever consider a high end mass produced bass?
Alan is at the end of the phone or an email and is happy to answer even the most ridiculous of questions.
Service is everything.

I chose Overwater for my 50th pressie for several reasons. They had a reasonably long history that i've followed since 80's and they were getting fantastic reviews at the time i was looking. Another important altho not major factor was they were only 1hrs drive from me. That was more a bonus than a deciding factor.
I did look at ACG at that time as they are also very close to me but didn't appear to have the same history with bass building as Overwater. I hadn't really heard much of them up to that point however i have seen them at Moffat Bass Bash and am very impressed by them.
SEI were a bit too far from me in event i needed to visit the workshop to discuss my requirements and in event anything went wrong after buying.
Because Overwater were so close to me i was able to attend the workshop on several occasions from initial discussion with Chris to determine my needs. Chris was hugely helpful in explaining how the different woods might affect the sound and weight and we agreed on best way forward.
All in all it was an expensive bass but i would have no hesitation in going back to Overwater if i were to buy another custom bass.
I would however look at ACG mainly because i have been quite impressed by them also.

The only minor change i had to make on my Overwater during build was that i like smooth or rounded fretboard edges and Chris made sure it was finished with a rounded edge. All done and sorted.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

I chose my ACG for a few reasons. Although not a custom build but a stock 'prototype' it was exactly what I was looking for firstly short scale, 'real wood', great design and with the excellent comments from customers about Alan on this website it was a no brainer. The other thing is that when asking questions or looking for advice you are speaking directly to the person building the bass and you get the feeling the answers will be in your best interest. Its first class service.
It also feels and plays better than any mass produced bass I have had.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1476253550' post='3152644']
I haven't chosen a luthier yet, I'm far too busy making sure the surfs on my estate have adequate hovels.
[/quote]

Adequate hovels; far too generous sir!

"The best bet is a sort of mass produced custom imo, if the luthier builds a random bass with funny pickup spacing and crap hardware because it's what the customer wants it will be crap but a luthier that has a sort of base model design that the customer works around then everyone wins and the builder has done things like the body cut, neck pocket and headstock/tuner layout many times."

Totally agree with Pete on this. That's the 'Maruszczyk' way, which is why I bought from Adrian. They are a large-batch rather than mass producer and, because they build for stock as well as custom orders, I was able to look at hundreds of photos/specs on their website and then say: "I want you to build me a bass that looks like (quote the SKU reference number) but with the following changes." I had a price/delivery quote within a couple of days - and now I have the bass I wanted with no nasty surprises. Btw, I'm not implying that M are the only ones doing this as I don't know enough about the other options. There are obviously some great luthiers out there and with a bit of research it should be relatively easy to avoid making a costly mistake.

Bernie Goodfellow - his instruments just feel right to my hands... and of course, nobody else has a preamp that sounds like the one in the GBs.

If I ever order another custom bass, it is likely to be a Schack... for similar reasons - nothing sounds like their preamps either.... and again, they are coupled to some beautiful instruments.