Why become a member? ×

Peavey Max 115 Combo

Stealth

I have one of these it's a great litte box. Here's the quandary it got the same amp as the head 300w into 8ohms 500w into 4ohms. So if the combo is putting out 300w I assume an 8ohm driver. So why no ext speaker socket ? Can I just wire one in parallel ?

Don't assume anything. Which version of this combo do you have? I have just Googled the user manual for your description and it gives the output as 60 watts RMS into 4 ohms. It could be there is no extension outlet because the internal speaker is 4 ohms to get the maximum from the amplifier.
It may also be because the amplifier section will overheat if you add an extension speaker.

Looking at the separate head first;the power requirement printed below the mains supply inlet says 160 watts and the photos appear to show a cooling fan ventilation aperture. The combo states 74 watts and doesn't appear to have any ventilation slots for either passive or forced (fan) cooling. I would guess therefore that the same power section can work fine at 8 ohms 300 watts without being fan cooled but when running at 4 ohms 500 watts needs a fan to avoid overheating.

Quite a lot of combos are aimed at smaller applications such as practice, small venues etc and competitive price points. If Peavey had designed the fan plus venting plus output socket into your combo it would probably have made it uncompetitive within its target market. Whilst most will only use this as a stand alone combo they wouldn't need that or want to pay the extra. Peavey have been around a long time and know the market well.

Edited by Sparky Mark