Why become a member? ×

killer by seal adamski effect

la bam

Hi all,
We are just in the process of doing a cover of killer by seal / adamski and I'm wondering if anyone knows of an effect or type of effect that can create the really full sound created for the bassline? It's quite a difficult sound to describe but it seems very full with some kind of reverb on?
Any help appreciated.

I just listened to it on youtube and "full" is not a word I'd use to describe it! Almost no bass to it! So I would make sure you're playing in the right octave, get a really fast envelope follower type sound and add a bit of dirt. Either that or a cheap old casio keyboard should be able to do it :)

Thanks. I guess what i meant is that if that bassline (and effect) isnt played, or is played just as a bass guitar sound the song sounds emptyish.

I'll try that fast envelope effect - is there any kind of decent envelope effect pedal that you would recommend (or multi effects)? I can wind up the valve drive on my ashdown abm for the dirt hopefully.

Had to laugh - ive just returned to bass playing after 3 years off and promised myself id use a straight forward set up - 1 song in and im already looking at effects!

Thanks for the help so far.

I have a couple of envelope followers (Q-Tron, BassBalls, Digitech BSW, Boss AW-2) but I don't think any of them would do that sound very well, sorry. Hopefully someone with more squelching experience can recommend one

I think you'll need more dirt than the ABM will give you so maybe a multi-effect is the way to go

To my ears there is two distinct bass notes. A solid hard bass than a layered squelchy thing with each note matched with a thudding kick drum.

I just got my pedal board on the go and beleive it or not my zoom ms60b has a synth in it called zsyn which gets very close! Tone on the bass down, and around 70/30 dry/wet blend gets very close.

I'll try get something similar with just a filter and dirt but I think a cheesy synth pedal will always get you closer.

Nailed it!

The micro synth did a great job, the trick then was to add some low gain distortion and some ambience from the zoom b3 which gave it that nice kick pad sound.

I put it through the Ashdown rig on their own pre shape eq, and it sounded pretty much spot on with the rest of the band.

Thanks for the help!