Why become a member? ×

Gibson try again for the nth time

neepheid

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1487603161' post='3241089']
They might turn out to be decent quality, but I doubt that those models will turn out to be on many people's wish lists.
[/quote]

And this really is the problem. There will be the odd endorser here and there, but the only model they're really going to sell in spades is the Thunderbird, it's the most recognisable and has been used by a fair few famous names. If it were me, I'd go with that, and making the standard Epiphone Tbird available in more than one colour would be a good start..

Nothing wrong with that IMHO, Fender have been doing it with 2 Bass models since the 60's. Musicman/EB with the Stingray. Sure there have been other Fender Basses and other EBMM Basses, but it's those models that have always been on the production line, regardless of what else might be....

I think you've hit the nail on the head. There's a few exceptions but when was the last time you saw a player you looked up to with a Gibson bass? Especially compared to their 6 strings, I'm struggling to think of many players with even the T-Bird which I'd guess is the most abundant model. Caleb Shcofield (Cave In) and his Grabber and John Curley (Afghan Whigs) and his T-Bird are the 2 main ones for me but even Caleb switches between that and a P. If the classic models were more widely used and maybe just easier to get hold of then more people would use them.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1487609270' post='3241185']
There's a few exceptions but when was the last time you saw a player you looked up to with a Gibson bass?
[/quote]

Well for me, about half of my favourite bands in 70s. And the other half were playing Rickenbackers.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1487610962' post='3241203']
I'm a child of the 80's, I just missed out! It was all pointy headstocks and Steinbergers when I were a lad.
[/quote]

I think it also depends on the genres you were into at the time.

For me the 80s was all, Aria Pro II, Ibanez, Wal and Overwater.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1487604206' post='3241107']
And this really is the problem. There will be the odd endorser here and there, but the only model they're really going to sell in spades is the Thunderbird, it's the most recognisable and has been used by a fair few famous names. If it were me, I'd go with that, and making the standard Epiphone Tbird available in more than one colour would be a good start..

Nothing wrong with that IMHO, Fender have been doing it with 2 Bass models since the 60's. Musicman/EB with the Stingray. Sure there have been other Fender Basses and other EBMM Basses, but it's those models that have always been on the production line, regardless of what else might be....
[/quote]
They could do something with the Thunderbirdy - maybe a deluxe model with binding which exudes quality.
An Explorer (though Hamer did one).
Maybe a 5-string only, designed from the ground up, rather than a 4-string with an afterthought.
A doubleneck bass/lead.
Seems like they have no imagination.

I think you're doing Gibson a disservice here. It doesn't look that different than a Fender Dimension bass and I don't recall anyone complaining that was generic, derivative or even a copy of an EBMM - which it clearly is in some ways 18v electronics screams Bongo but that is in a whole different league.

Remember two of the greatest bass players to walk the planet, Jack Bruce and Andy Fraser both made their names with the thicker sounding EB3 (Precision and Jazz were thin sounding things by comparison) and although weren't famous for putting generic bass on pop records (as session players) but providing bass on some of most jammers, rockers, bluesers and general muso's favourite songs - certainly the bass heavy ones.

So give em a break guys. I'm no Gibson fan but I do worry that players on forums are too tied to the ubiquitous Fender models which are ok, adequate or even great in very skilled hands - but remember the main reason they waned in popularity for some players until the 'retro is king' era starting in the mid 90s - players were saying 'ok I can play Schooldays but it sounds crap on my Precision'. Not sure how it would sound on this Gibson either but it looks to have a whole lot more capability for varied sounds than a P bass to me (for those who want to play a bit more than generic vanilla bass, that is).

I'll try one if I see one!!

I love Fenders btw - just haven't believed they were the last word in bass since the late 70s!!

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1487616179' post='3241254']
Anyone remember the E2 Explorers? Binding and nice wood? A Tbird or even better an Explorer bass in that...lovely... :blush:

[/quote]
Chris Glen has put on some weight...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoA2vudHFi0

While I favour Thunderbirds, Gibson really missed a trick limiting them to (primarily) sunburst, black or ivory finishes, or the odd walnut or cherry ones (let's not talk about the gold monstrosity), especially considering the variety on the six string front. I have a mate who owns a Yamoto Thunderbird in sapphire blue and it is gorgeous.

Look, while there's some lacklustre basses in this year's range, it's not like you can't pick up a Gibson bass; there's always availability.

So 2018. What would I like to see? In the unlikely event that the 20/20 will reappear(!), then a faithful Thunderbird II reissue, using the nitro 60s custom colour palette. Two part bridge, oversized headstock, chrome. F*ck it, relic it if necessary.

What do I know?

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1487619613' post='3241293']

Chris Glen has put on some weight...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoA2vudHFi0
[/quote]

Y'see that's not even a Gibson... :/

And yeah, he's erm, chunked out a bit... :/ :)

I think there is a lot they could do with regards to heritage basses.

Decent reissues of the T bird, also in non reverse, with nickel hardware, two part bridge etc.
Release an EB-3/SG bass with varitone switch. Maybe an SG with the 60s body but with 70s pick up positioning, also as an EB-0.
The previous design EB bass (2012?) could have been released in a one pickup config, like the G&L L1000. Perhaps some new colours, sparkling burgundy?
Reissue the Les Paul signature bass.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1487673683' post='3241646']
it's not like Gibson are going out of their way to advertise or promote the new EB Bass. Although a couple of people are sat with it, it's not mentioned in the Gibson USA 2017 New Model Year video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1aIPdOdXdI
[/quote]Says it all really, a bit embarrassed to have it in their line up. However reading through this thread it does begin to sound like we're all suffering from a bad case of nostalgia.

Edited by Grahambythesea

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1487673683' post='3241646']
it's not like Gibson are going out of their way to advertise or promote the new EB Bass. Although a couple of people are sat with it, it's not mentioned in the Gibson USA 2017 New Model Year video.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1aIPdOdXdI"]https://www.youtube....h?v=v1aIPdOdXdI[/url]
[/quote]

I'm not one for dissing on anyone's ability, we all have to start somewhere, but for the love of god couldn't Gibson have gotten someone/anyone [i]better [/i]or perhaps more[i] adept [/i]than Noah Sierota (from Echosmith) to play that EB? It doesn't actually look to bad in that clip. Christ on a bike. Fender = Geddy Lee, Yamaha = Billy Sheehan, MusicMan = John Myung. I could go on. They could have flown me and Neeph over. At least we've been buying and playing their instruments for a while.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1487678712' post='3241713']
I'm not one for dissing on anyone's ability, we all have to start somewhere, but for the love of god couldn't Gibson have gotten someone/anyone [i]better [/i]or perhaps more[i] adept [/i]than Noah Sierota (from Echosmith) to play that EB? It doesn't actually look to bad in that clip. Christ on a bike. Fender = Geddy Lee, Yamaha = Billy Sheehan, MusicMan = John Myung. I could go on. They could have flown me and Neeph over. At least we've been buying and playing their instruments for a while.
[/quote]

I don't think I could be trusted not to knock some peoples' heads together if they flew me over to Nashville ;)

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1487680678' post='3241735']
I don't think I could be trusted not to knock some peoples' heads together if they flew me over to Nashville ;)
[/quote]

It might do the company some good though.

Every time I get the hankering to buy something from Gibson or one of their sub-brands I just need to remind myself what they did to Opcode and the feeling goes away.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Tee' timestamp='1487665151' post='3241535']
I think there is a lot they could do with regards to heritage basses.

Decent reissues of the T bird, also in non reverse, with nickel hardware, two part bridge etc.
Release an EB-3/SG bass with varitone switch. Maybe an SG with the 60s body but with 70s pick up positioning, also as an EB-0.
The previous design EB bass (2012?) could have been released in a one pickup config, like the G&L L1000. Perhaps some new colours, sparkling burgundy?
Reissue the Les Paul signature bass.
[/quote]

All of these, and maybe some of the long-scale SG models? I know the 30" model is more iconic, but reissuing something like the SB-400 or the SG-Z might open up a market with a lot of modern players who won't plump for anything shorter than 34". Nowadays it seems the only long-scale SG type you can get hold of is the Epiphone copy (which I still like, admittedly).

Incidentally, I don't know whether anyone else has popped their head round the "Thunderbirds!" thread nearby, but it seems it's fallen to Epiphone to try and recreate the original '60s-style T-bird pickups, rather than Gibson themselves.