Why become a member? ×

Bizarre Load-Out Experience

MrDaveTheBass

I had a very strange load-out after my gig last night in the centre of Leicester. We were first on, so we were all done and dusted by 9:15pm. As it was a Wednesday, I was keen to get home and take advantage of the early finish, so soon after we'd come off stage, I was wheeling my 4x10 on its trolley down the road to my car which was parked just a little way down from the venue.

The street was surprisingly busy for a Wednesday night, and I had to weave my way through a crowd of students, slightly merry but not pissed enough to be beligerent.

When I got to the car, I opened the boot and turned around to lift my 4x10 into it. As I did so, someone ran past me on the pavement shouting, "I'm 'avin that!", opened the door and plonked themselves down in the front passenger seat!

I put down my 4x10, walked round to the front of the car and pulled the passenger door open.
Sitting in the front of my car was the exact stereotypical Daily Mail personification of a ne'er do well: Baggy grey tracksuit, hoodie, baseball cap, the lot. He was also clearly and obviously completely off his tits. I cleared my throat and politely explained that I wasn't a taxi, and would he please exit my vehicle. He replied with what I can only describe as a stream of authentic urban gibberish, and tried to pull the door closed again.

I stood next to the door to stop him from closing it, completely at a loss at what to do next. I grabbed his arm and tried to drag him out, but he managed to wedge himself in under the dashboard. I let go and took my phone out of my pocket. Despite my new friend's protestations of "Don't do it bruv, I'm warnin' ya, don't do it!", I called our singer, who fortunately looks a whole lot meaner and more intimidating than I do. Thankfully, he answered straight away, and after what seemed like a rather a long and awkward couple of minutes, was standing next to me by the car. He took a very friendly approach, introduced himself and shook the guy's hand.

Strangely, my gangsta chum suddenly professed a hankering for a chicken burger from the fine establishment we were parked in front of, and staggered uncertainly out of the car. Muttering something about what a huge gangsta he was, and how lucky we both were that he hadn't "put a cap in yo ass", he wobbled away into the burger shop. We threw the 4x10 into the boot, and decided that it would be a good idea to move the car around the corner before I loaded the rest of my gear.

It still seems rather unreal, but I've learn't the following things:[list]
[*]It pays to keep your wits about you on load-in and load-out.
[*]If the guy had been a proper 'gangsta' and had wanted to hijack my car, I would have been competely stuffed.
[*]A calm, friendly approach was able to diffuse the situation more effectively than threats or violence. (But it helps to have at least one scary looking member of the band!)
[*]I now know when to use the third button on my car key-fob, the one that opens the boot but leaves the side doors locked!
[/list]

Wow - what a weird thing to happen! Glad it all worked out OK in the end and you didn't get a cap popped in yo ass...

My particular favourite at load out is when pissed punters are surprised by, 'No, sorry, you can't have a lift home in the band's van';

Or, the only 10 people left in the pub are all filling the doorway, love that one. Having to say, excuse me / watch your backs please, every time you go back and fore.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1475162421' post='3143626']
Or, the only 10 people left in the pub are all filling the doorway, love that one. Having to say, excuse me / watch your backs please, every time you go back and fore.
[/quote]

Almost every gig, what is it with drunk punters and doors!!! :(

[/quote]

As I'm usually carrying the drums, I tend to find after the first time the hardware coffin rolls over their toes or clatters into their shins they tend to move pretty sharpish!

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1475164151' post='3143656']

Almost every gig, what is it with drunk punters and doors!!! :(
[/quote]

Loading the van after a posh wedding gig a few years ago I pleasantly shouted "Gangway!" as I approached with a large speaker cab to the usual clump of folk in the corridor after everyone else has left, I'm not sure if they were not familiar with the term I used, I thought it was a common one? or in their drunken state they may have thought I shouted "get out the way!", either way it ended with a toe to toe confrontation in the car park!

the only 10 people left in the pub are all filling the doorway, love that one. Having to say, excuse me / watch your backs please, every time you go back and fore.
[/quote]

You should buy my book "101 Creative ways to accidentally injure punters with a speaker cabinet"

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1475170015' post='3143752']
Playing a dodgy rock pub a lifetime ago I politely asked 3 young men to step aside so I could park in the nearest, empty parking space.

I didn't know they had slashed one of my tires until I was driving home.
[/quote]

:o That certainly puts my weird tale into perspective - at least though it was only your tires that they slashed.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1475189181' post='3143969']
You should buy my book "101 Creative ways to accidentally injure punters with a speaker cabinet"
[/quote]

I tend to say "excuse me" the first once or twice, and then just carry on bumping into them after that until the penny finally (usually) drops.