Why become a member? ×

Live bands... oh god...

visog

I'm afraid this is very true: http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/sight-of-band-setting-up-strikes-fear-into-drinkers-hearts-20160930114664

No-one want's to hear a live band now unless they're go on to do a proper DJ set or they're Cold Play?

Possibly not in average pub-goer land, but in proper music venues - and there are many pubs that I consider to be in the latter - live music is flourishing still. It`s the average people who think Coldplay etc are an "on the edge" type band that have these daft thoughts. Leave them to their slacks & G&Ts.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1475258253' post='3144558']
I'm afraid this is very true: http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/sight-of-band-setting-up-strikes-fear-into-drinkers-hearts-20160930114664

No-one want's to hear a live band now unless they're go on to do a proper DJ set or they're Cold Play?
[/quote]

Ha. The Mash go off the boil every now and again. I dip in and out but that's one of their better ones. :D

Live music in general seems to be ok if you go by venues and festivals, except in London where the only people that can afford to go out are Chinese investors who hate all forms of culture - and they don't even live here to begin with - , Russian oligarchs and their prostitutes who prefer shopping and eating foie gras as opposed to listening to music, and people who have inherited their dad's money and prefer to eat fake street food, snort coke and drink cocktails to anything to do with music culture. Elsewhere, young people don't want to hear pub bands and cover bands any more because nobody under 60 cares about those songs any more, and young people don't want to listen to the same songs their parents listen to when they go out with their mates. I don't like live music in pubs either, unless it's jazz. I go to pubs to talk to friends, so a live amplified band playing rock covers would make me pack up and leave immediately. Live venues on the other hand are usually rammed if the band playing is ok. When I was a teenager I went to loads of gigs which were empty, it's not a new thing, it's down to how popular your music is more than anything else. The rest is down to genre, some people prefer electronic music which is much better suited to a night out if your drug of choice is not alcohol. Young people still like a night out and a dance, just like they always have.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1475415640' post='3145722']
Live music in general seems to be ok if you go by venues and festivals, except in London where the only people that can afford to go out are Chinese investors who hate all forms of culture - and they don't even live here to begin with - , Russian oligarchs and their prostitutes who prefer shopping and eating foie gras as opposed to listening to music, and people who have inherited their dad's money and prefer to eat fake street food, snort coke and drink cocktails to anything to do with music culture. Elsewhere, young people don't want to hear pub bands and cover bands any more because nobody under 60 cares about those songs any more, and young people don't want to listen to the same songs their parents listen to when they go out with their mates. I don't like live music in pubs either, unless it's jazz. I go to pubs to talk to friends, so a live amplified band playing rock covers would make me pack up and leave immediately. Live venues on the other hand are usually rammed if the band playing is ok. When I was a teenager I went to loads of gigs which were empty, it's not a new thing, it's down to how popular your music is more than anything else. The rest is down to genre, some people prefer electronic music which is much better suited to a night out if your drug of choice is not alcohol. Young people still like a night out and a dance, just like they always have.
[/quote]

Welcome to Basschat :lol: :lol:

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1475415640' post='3145722']
I don't like live music in pubs either, unless it's jazz. I go to pubs to talk to friends, so a live amplified band playing rock covers would make me pack up and leave immediately.
[/quote]

I'm the same (apart from the jazz bit) - if I want live music I'll go to a gig, if I want to go out for a drink with my mates I don't want to listen to a band playing crap versions of songs I hate while we're trying to talk. If I'm in a pub & a band (or a solo performer for that matter) starts setting up then that's my cue to leave.

Up in Leeds, landlords can not get enough bands, except rock and blues, people do not turn out for rock and blues unless they are really good.
General good atmosphere covers bands are packing the pubs, tills are full of cash and the beer flows as fast as they can pull pints.
For every band type pub they are 50 you can sit in a corner and talk quietly in an empty room to your mates.

The pubs with the good bands are packed, they must be doing something right.

In the south live music is coming back even there are lots of pubs that had to be closed, we played close to 45 gigs last year and something like 35 this year. We need to support live music in all it's forms, I sometimes go out to watch bands whether their skill level. It's about supporting an art form, I know some people don't consider playing covers an art form but at the end of the day it is good promotion for songs that sometimes you would never had payed attention to, I know because i has happened to me before with a lot of songs.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1475258253' post='3144558']
I'm afraid this is very true: [url="http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/sight-of-band-setting-up-strikes-fear-into-drinkers-hearts-20160930114664"]http://www.thedailym...-20160930114664[/url]
[/quote]

Made me laugh. I'm totally in that band.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1475668236' post='3147740']
That's why we only play ticketed events - the punters want us to be there.
[/quote]

Ticketed events in my area really only work for national signed acts. Local bands that attempt ticketed events means no crowd.

Blue

We always make sure there are posters up at the venue in advance, the posters say who we are, when we are on and include a list of a cross section of the artists we cover in the design. Other than the visually impaired I can't see how anyone could be remotely surprised if they stayed around for us to start playing if they had bothered to look at the information supplied. Quiet game of draughts in a silent room? pick another pub or the same one on a different night.

Obviously the article is satire, The Mash being a satirical news site. However, they're quite often very close to the point.

Why does the band have to be so loud!?

Obviously I enjoy live music and play in a fairly loud band but I've had to leave some pubs at half time due to the volume. We're often rebooked along with comments along the lines of "You're not like a lot of the bands we have in, you can play at a sensible volume."

Surely there should be somewhere in the pub you can stand and chat and still hear the music without alienating your audience?

Sensible positioning of (and experience with) a good PA is key here. Should be possible to focus it so you have an area where its loud enough for those that want the experience to get it but it won't be overwhelming round the corner in another part of the venue. I can't recall us ever being asked to turn down indoors, though it did happen bizarrely at an outdoor gig in August but I think that was a complete over reaction by the guy with his little meter needing to be seen to be doing something useful. No one in the audience directly in front of the PA moved away or complained and some had very young kids with them.