Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster - any good?

Funky Dunky

I have the original RM800 head, and I did a review here: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/268064-ashdown-rm-800/page__view__getnewpost

My thoughts haven't changed really. I love it, but I also now have an ABM500 EVO which I also love and would say the ABM has a bigger bottom (ooooh errrr) if that's your thing.

I think the "woolly" thing comes from those who genuinely like that type of sound, and Ashdown amps will do that particularly well, so that`s the sound they set up on the amps, which then get labelled as that`s all they do. But it`s not all they do. Our very own Bassix has a Rootmaster head - think its the 500 - and when I heard his band, Skurvi, play, his tone was anything but woolly. Great sharp punky tones. Additionally both Bruce Foxton and JJ Burnell use Ashdown amps, and neither of those are famed for indistinct woolly sounds. Def let your ears make the choice.

I've tested a number of ashdown's and owned a abm evo iii 500, In combo and head form. Also a few of there cabs.
There certainly not crap the mag and the rootmaster series is alright gear nothing wrong with it but its more workman like shall we say. The rootmasters seem to be a bit better than the mag series it replaced.
I also had a mag 4x10 cab of late and liked it.

The abm series is a step up in class.
However I struggled to get a well defined top end which is maybe where the woolly thing comes from and I didn't like the eq much. The valve drive control worked well though.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1475314778' post='3144927']
A quick search for Ashdown on the forum has turned up some pretty scathing opinions on the brand - the words 'wooly' and 'crap' come up frequently. Nonetheless, I will let my ears be the judge.
[/quote]

Do let us know how you get on - I've used ABMs a few times and straight away I've been reaching to cut the low end. Personal taste of course, but an Ashdown with a more 'tamed' low end sounds like a good thing.

IMO the woolly thing is exacerbated by the cabs. Not that I am dissing them but if you pair an ABM or RM with a BF Super Compact or two you will be able to make any sound you want really.

I don't dislike the cabs but I don't necessarily rate them in the way I love their amps.

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1475330052' post='3145108']
You need to try one. I've found Ashdown have a sound of their own. I'd be interested to hear about the ABM600 and if it's an improvement over the ABM500.
[/quote]

Its a massive improvement/difference (delete as necessary) - i had an ABM500 evo3 and sold it after a few months as it was too "woolly" strangely enough. Couldn't get any top end sizzle or get rid of the pillowy bottom end.

Tried a Rootmaster and it was ok but not just didn't have enough about it for me to spring the cash - sales guy then said i should try the ABM600 regardless of my previous experience.

Bought it 20 minutes later. It just had so much more slam to it than the Rootmaster and as long as you are happy to do some extreme eq'ing (i.e don't gently tweak some eq points, turn them right up or down - which can seem a bit weird till you get your head round it) you can get some very unAshdowny sounds going on. And it will rearrange your intestines when its cranked up - thats what the Rootmaster didnt seem to have.

Set without the preshape it can seem a bit dead but if you run the preshape - which sucks the mids right out and i think is unusable as it is - and cut the bass dial back to about 11o'clock then stuff loads of mids back in with the eq it comes alive. Also push the high end right back up and you can get it nice and zingy. it doesn't respond to subtle very well. I don't use the compressor or sub thing. Run the valve drive below noon to add some Ampeggy flavour or turn it off to sharpen things up a bit.

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1475336402' post='3145177']

Its a massive improvement/difference (delete as necessary) - i had an ABM500 evo3 and sold it after a few months as it was too "woolly" strangely enough. Couldn't get any top end sizzle or get rid of the pillowy bottom end.

Tried a Rootmaster and it was ok but not just didn't have enough about it for me to spring the cash - sales guy then said i should try the ABM600 regardless of my previous experience.

Bought it 20 minutes later. It just had so much more slam to it than the Rootmaster and as long as you are happy to do some extreme eq'ing (i.e don't gently tweak some eq points, turn them right up or down - which can seem a bit weird till you get your head round it) you can get some very unAshdowny sounds going on. And it will rearrange your intestines when its cranked up - thats what the Rootmaster didnt seem to have.

Set without the preshape it can seem a bit dead but if you run the preshape - which sucks the mids right out and i think is unusable as it is - and cut the bass dial back to about 11o'clock then stuff loads of mids back in with the eq it comes alive. Also push the high end right back up and you can get it nice and zingy. it doesn't respond to subtle very well. I don't use the compressor or sub thing. Run the valve drive below noon to add some Ampeggy flavour or turn it off to sharpen things up a bit.
[/quote]

Cheers mate. It sounds like a big step forward over the 500. I'll have to find a stockist and try one. I just couldn't get a finger sound I was happy with when playing in my band. No problem with a plectrum though.

Ive had the MAG 300, the superfly and now a ABM evoii 15 with 2x10 ext cab.

What i found is the Ashdown's sound on its own is never great. When i have found a great rich deep sound at home after a lot of tweaking then took it to practice it has completely disappeared into the drums. Revert back to the Ashdown pre shape and it cuts through fantastic.

My advise would be to test one, and see if it has enough tone shaping for you and headroom before breaking up. If possible test alongside a drummer or drum machine to set a good tone against that. Start with all the eq flat then tweak from there.

By far and away the best amps for band use in my opinion - ive never liked the sound on its own, but never sounded better in a band scenario - which is weird!

i have the mag 300 and the original RM800 (like Merton) and run them through a mag 4x10. never had a woolly sound at all and ahve plenty of bottom end with the RM with headroom to spare.Cuts through in our band no problem. And conversely i like the sound of them on their own and in the band. Maybe playing a more modern sounding bass makes a difference compared to fenders, i dont know.