Why become a member? ×

Signed up to my university's jazz orchestra, what have I done?

Deerhunter1331

Hello,

Yesterday I signed up to my university's jazz orchestra, simply because I would like to have a chance to play with others and improve my bass playing. But, I have never been a part of a jazz orchestra, and I haven't played with anyone else. They don't have any auditions for it, but I'm still nervous whether I'm going to be up to scratch to keep up with everyone else. Should I just not bother and wait until improve my bass playing, then join?

To quote an old noir game from the late 90's .... I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings.

Use this as your motivator , to improve , the very worst thing that can happen to you is they ask you to step out practice hard ... devote some time to your reading and hopefully enjoy it .

[quote name='Deerhunter1331' timestamp='1475327494' post='3145071']
Should I just not bother and wait until improve my bass playing, then join?
[/quote]

Fortune favours the bold, as a Canadian character in a video game told me once.

Good luck !

Edited by ahpook

There's a way of justifying just about any note played, by explaining patiently that it's a contrapuntal inversion using the Lydian mode derived from the Minor of the flattened 13th. Those that [i]don't [/i]know will be impressed; those that [i]do [/i]know will nod wisely, as they've been doing the same for years, and don't want the bubble to burst. Get stuck in, enjoy the pain and grow. Grow fast. We all know what the best fertiliser for growth is, don't we..? :happy:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1475330322' post='3145112']
There's a way of justifying just about any note played, by explaining patiently that it's a contrapuntal inversion using the Lydian mode derived from the Minor of the flattened 13th. Those that [i]don't [/i]know will be impressed; those that [i]do [/i]know will nod wisely, as they've been doing the same for years, and don't want the bubble to burst. Get stuck in, enjoy the pain and grow. Grow fast. We all know what the best fertiliser for growth is, don't we..? :happy:
[/quote]
Very wise words

[quote name='Deerhunter1331' timestamp='1475335697' post='3145160']
Thanks! Lets just hope that I can at least keep up with the rest of them.
[/quote]

Are you the only Bassist signing up? If not, sit in on a couple of sessions and watch, if you are feeling nervous.
That way you can judge if you think you are up to scratch with the rest of them, and above all, handle the arrangements sight reading wise.

[quote name='Deerhunter1331' timestamp='1475329007' post='3145090']

To be honest, I'm not sure. I can read sheet music without a problem, but I have never tried to sight read
[/quote]

You should be able to get the sheet music in advance and take it home. You'll find that a hell of a lot of it will just fall under your fingers. As long as you know your scales and chords the notes will be fairly obvious.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1475342687' post='3145244']

Are you the only Bassist signing up? If not, sit in on a couple of sessions and watch, if you are feeling nervous.
That way you can judge if you think you are up to scratch with the rest of them, and above all, handle the arrangements sight reading wise.
[/quote]
I saw someone sign up who can play bass and guitar, and quite a few people were signing up, so I doubt I'm the only bassist

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1475351487' post='3145344']
Don't be afraid. It'll be the best introduction to playing jazz and you'll get a lot of enjoyment/satisfaction from the experience. You're very welcome to PM me if any problems come up, or something you need better understanding of.
[/quote]
Thanks for the offer, I will surely keep it in mind. 😊