Why become a member? ×

gig bag recommendations please.

bigd1

I'm thinking of getting a gig bag, problem is I haven't looked at gig bags for years.
As my basses are quality instruments, I need something that will offer ultimate protection.
It will be used to move instruments from house to car, car to rehearsal/gig venue. No public transport travel, or even walking very far. I would like shoulder straps please.
So words of experience, reviews good and bad, tales of woe or the best thing since sliced bread will be greatly appreciated.

All replies on the left wing of a dead dodo please :i-m_so_happy: :biggrin: B)

Ta very glad
BIGd

Mono. They are superb and bomb proof. I have a Mono M80 and would throw my bass on the floor with it and not be worried. I would prefer an SKB hard case in a van though. The best case I've ever had is the Sadowsky hard soft case. Awsome peice of design.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1475340963' post='3145218']
Mono. They are superb and bomb proof. I have a Mono M80 and would throw my bass on the floor with it and not be worried. I would prefer an SKB hard case in a van though. The best case I've ever had is the Sadowsky hard soft case. Awsome peice of design.
[/quote]

Just a shame we can't reasonably get them! Sadowsky quoted me over $400 dollars with shipping and tax.

Everyone raves about MONO, but the thing that worries me is the few reactions their cases have had with nitro finishes. It's probably unlikely, but a risk you take.

Fusion are well worth a look too. Really great cases and a great team.

[quote name='spiltmilk_2000' timestamp='1475339431' post='3145205']
Sorry to hijack but does anyone have any experience of the gruv gear gig blade??
[/quote]
Yep, I've got one!

A very nice gigbag with some good features but not as easy to walk with it over one shoulder as I thought. Still, a good bag.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1475358255' post='3145416']
I've got an iGig515 bag - not light, but offers great all round protection especially if you've got a bass with a 35" scale. Mono Vertigo (lighter bag) is also a good bag - have got one of those as well.
[/quote]
Is it still possible to get iGig bags in this country?? I've got the double bag that has done hundreds of gigs and still going strong. Great bag with loads of storage.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1475336201' post='3145173']
https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_premium_gigbag_e_bass_br.htm

I've had these well over a year and they are unmarked so I'd say they are hardwearing.
The price is amazing and don't believe these are cheap crap... far from it.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more - bought one of these following many recommendations in another thread on here. Had mine for around 9 months now and no issues. Highly recommended.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1475368984' post='3145466']
Is it still possible to get iGig bags in this country?? I've got the double bag that has done hundreds of gigs and still going strong. Great bag with loads of storage.
[/quote]

I don't think so - mine came from Bass Direct when they used to stock them about 5 years ago. Agree with your comments about them, would definitely buy another one if mine ever wore out.

I've used a mono M80 for years - it is built like a tank, looks like new after many gigs and provides lots of protection. I recently added the double Mono M80 too and that's great too (if slightly heavy but 2 basses are always going to be heavy!). I also recently bought the SKB Bass safe, a hard bass case into which you put your bass in its gig back (a mono M80 just fits) which provides LOADS of protection - I'm going to check it on a plane. If you get an SKB Bass safe try to get the later ones with the strap and lock rather than the flight case locks as these were prone to coming open.

I really like the Body Glove case I have - don't see too many of them about unfortunately. I'm seriously considering making Lozz an offer for his Protection Racket case but I already have too many cases and would prefer to offer something other than cash...

Which ever one you decide on go and try with your bass and everything else you want to put in it first. I have a Mono M80. It's a fantastic case from a protection PoV (although only a bit lighter and not a lot smaller than a Hiscox LiteFlite hard case), but it is probably the most uncomfortable gig bag I've ever worn. Fine if you're only going to need it for a couple of minutes walk to and from the car, but horrible for carrying your bass any distance. However whether or no you have a problem very much varies from person to person, which is why I recommend that you try before you buy. I certainly wouldn't get another £30+ gig bag without being able to try it first.

Also the zip on mine has developed a fault on the bottom edge despite having less use than normal (due to being so uncomfortable to wear) which means I can no longer fully open it just in case I can't get it closed again - I've had one tricky moment when it looked as though the zipper wasn't going to pass over the damaged teeth at a recent rehearsal. On the basis of this I couldn't really recommend a Mono case.

Edited by BigRedX