Why become a member? ×

Christmas has come early

Count Bassy

To be more exact, my Warwick Rockbass 5 string 32" scale Corvette has come early. Was expecting it on 13th October, but it came last Thursday!

I am currently working through getting it set up how I want it, but first impressions are great.

Absolutely no problem with the low B, which is obviously a concern with a 32", and the neck, although deeper than my Ibanez SRs, is fine (I had heard that Warwick necks could be a bit tree-trunky).

It seemed to have been assembled very nicely, but with no obvious attempt at a 'set up'. Action was way high at both the nut and bridge, and the relief was quite high.
Still, working through it all getting it all set up to my taste, but even with the Just-a-Nut right down I'm going to have to file the nut a bit (at least with a just-a-nut it's not game over if you file it too low.!)

The stock Warwick Red Label strings (Stainless) are way too Zingy for me so I'll probably change them to Nickels when the time comes.

Tone controls seem very effective so, with the pickup panning, I can get a tone I like very easily, including taming the zingy strings.
String spacing is 16mm which is not to everybody's taste, but suits me fine. Spacing is adjustable within limits (but not to 18mm!)

Currently only played it through my Roland cubebass 100, but will try it through something else tonight.

Will do a proper review when I've had it longer, but for now I'd say that Warwick have made a decent quality 32" fiver at a reasonable price.

(PS - I've recently gone back to nickel rounds on the SR506 (was on half-rounds), and loving it)

Edited by Count Bassy