Why become a member? ×

Headless bridge help

MacDaddy

As you can see from the pick, the bridge tuner for my D string has a screw sticking out.

It was not like this when I restrung a couple of weeks ago, but now the D string tuner is almost impossible to turn.

Is sorting this as simple as detuning, screwing the screw back in, then retuning?

Undoing the strings at the headstock is not possible as they are clamped and cut.

Yes,I think so. Looks similar to the Hohner Steinberger ones. If it is still very stiff to turn, it is worth fully unscrewing that tuner and lubricating the thread with grease. Actually, it's well worth doing that with all the tuner threads anyway.
Not sure if yours is just the same as the Hohner in construction, but the body of the tuner is aluminium, and softer than the steel screw, so wears out more readily.
I've fixed several by using a stainless steel thread insert (called a Helicoil). Doesn't take long to do, but you do need a kit, or know someone who has access to one :)