Why become a member? ×

So I finally gigged with a Fender!

molan

Played a small pub gig last night and thought I'd try my recent acquisition - a Mexican made Flea Signature.

At the break I was thinking how nice it seemed to sound on 'stage' (I was using a Jule Monique Dove Cage and Demeter power amp through a Bergantino 2x10 so had a decent backline which would always help).

The realisation then hit me that I'd never actually gigged with a Fender before!

I own a 63J a pair of 68J's and a 64P and have owned several US and Japanese J's and P's. All have been played a fair bit and rehearsed with but never taken out live (well, not by me anyway).

I've gigged plenty of 'Fender style' basses from Sadowsky, Alleva Coppolo, Celinder, Lull, Modulus etc.

No idea why I've never grabbed one of the Fenders before, maybe just not my #1 basses at the time.

Anyway, it was fun to play, no worries about batteries, stayed more or less in tune and sounded pretty good to me and to the two bassists in the audience apparently.

Must do this more often 😂

There's a whole anti-Fender snobbery on forums but a good bass is a good bass regardless of make. The trick is to play what feels right whether it is a Harley Benton or a Warwick. It stands to reason plenty of us are happy with fender, regardless of custom shop or MIM status.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1475429951' post='3145848']
Was Harley Benton a person, or people, or just a made-up name?
[/quote] [color=#221E1F][font=Verdana, Arial][size=3]Lasse Thernøe,the fella in charge of the HB guitars and basses hinted it was thought of at a drunken party.[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1475427629' post='3145830']
There's a whole anti-Fender snobbery on forums but a good bass is a good bass regardless of make. The trick is to play what feels right whether it is a Harley Benton or a Warwick. It stands to reason plenty of us are happy with fender, regardless of custom shop or MIM status.
[/quote]

There's also a lot of pro-fender snobbery on forums as well... :D

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1475439337' post='3145958']
Literally cannot remember how long ago it is since I gigged with anything other than a Fender bass.
[/quote]

I think my last non-Fender gig was about 9 years ago, and was a Gibson Les Paul Bass.

[/quote]

I admit to have once been a bit anti-Fender myself. Then I got a Fender MIM P bass. Then I smiled and understood. And you can tear it out of my cold dead hands. :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1475423884' post='3145784']
Played a small pub gig last night and thought I'd try my recent acquisition - a Mexican made Flea Signature.

At the break I was thinking how nice it seemed to sound on 'stage' (I was using a Jule Monique Dove Cage and Demeter power amp through a Bergantino 2x10 so had a decent backline which would always help).

The realisation then hit me that I'd never actually gigged with a Fender before!

I own a 63J a pair of 68J's and a 64P and have owned several US and Japanese J's and P's. All have been played a fair bit and rehearsed with but never taken out live (well, not by me anyway).

I've gigged plenty of 'Fender style' basses from Sadowsky, Alleva Coppolo, Celinder, Lull, Modulus etc.

No idea why I've never grabbed one of the Fenders before, maybe just not my #1 basses at the time.

Anyway, it was fun to play, no worries about batteries, stayed more or less in tune and sounded pretty good to me and to the two bassists in the audience apparently.

Must do this more often
[/quote]

Try a P next time ;)

I don't think I've ever gigged a Fender.

I've owned 3 I think. A Miller jazz, a jap P and my current Urge2.

When I gigged with 4 strings it was an Aria, then a Status. Then when I moved to 5 strings it has been Marleaux, Dingwall, EBMM.

I do have bad gas for a Precision at the moment though.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1475437864' post='3145933']
[color=#221E1F][font=Verdana, Arial][size=3]Lasse Thernøe,the fella in charge of the HB guitars and basses hinted it was thought of at a drunken party.[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Similar thing with the James Nellist stagg acoustic guitar, the rep told me he was an accountant for stagg. :rolleyes: :lol:

There's a whole anti-Fender snobbery on forums but a good bass is a good bass regardless of make. The trick is to play what feels right whether it is a Harley Benton or a Warwick......
[/quote]

Indeed :)

Personally, I was off Fenders for a long time. That was until I discovered their Roadworn basses. Bought a Jazz, from a fellow BC'er and instanty loved it. I also have a P, also from a BC'er and that's fabulous too. Though I've gigged with several different basses over the years, now I gig with them all the time. If I'm playing a bit of a "dodgy" venue - I use my Squier CV P.

As someone else pointed out, it's nice not to have to worry about pickup batteries etc, and I always find Fender's simple controls get me the sound I want, without having to fiddle around too much with too many knobs & switches.

Glad to hear you liked the sound of the Fender Flea sig Jazz. I've not had GAS for a while, believing that condition to be well & truly gone - but I do like the look of that Flea sig. Nice to hear a good report on it. Cheers

I've never gigged with a Fender .... or ever owned one. and as a disclaimer, I haven't been in a band for the past 5 years either!

The problem I have ... well actually its not a problem, more of a situation, is that I have a Squier CV P that I am A/Bing against MIM and MIA Fender Ps and I'm preferring the CV P every time. It might be because I am used to the CV P but I have to say, the playability, comfort, tone of the CV P have outranked all 3 Fender P basses I have tried it against. The CV P does have upgraded electronics I believe a seymour duncan vintage pickup, I forget the specifics, I bought the bass second hand with the pickup fitted.

The only thing I've never been keep on is the glossy neck but its a minor grievance considering I believe I am getting the performance of a much more expensive bass out of a squier.

I'd love to compare it to a roadworn P at some point!

[quote name='Davebassics' timestamp='1475569639' post='3146911']
..... I have a Squier CV P that I am A/Bing against MIM and MIA Fender Ps and I'm preferring the CV P every time. It might be because I am used to the CV P but I have to say, the playability, comfort, tone of the CV P have outranked all 3 Fender P basses I have tried it against. The CV P does have upgraded electronics I believe a seymour duncan vintage pickup, I forget the specifics, I bought the bass second hand with the pickup fitted.

The only thing I've never been keep on is the glossy neck but its a minor grievance considering I believe I am getting the performance of a much more expensive bass out of a squier.

I'd love to compare it to a roadworn P at some point!
[/quote]

Having owned several US Fenders, and also owning a Squier Classic Vibe P (since P/J'ed & with upgraded pickups) I know exactly where you are coming from. I owned a Squier CV P and sold it - I instantly regretted this, as I liked it so much. So I bought another. I have now played several Squier CV basses, and every one has been absolutely brilliant!

I also own a Fender Roadworn Jazz and P bass. The RW P looks superb, plays wonderfully and is very lightweight (lighter than the Squier) and is very comfortable to play. I find the glossy finish of the Squier is really nice (and I don't normally like glossy necks), much nicer than most other glossy necks - but the Fender RW is more comfortable and feels more "worn in".

Sound-wise, I am confused though - both basses have exactly the same pickups (Entwistle PBXN and JBXN) the Squier seems to have slightly more heft at the bottom end... but the RW does have more definition at the top end. The only real difference is that the pot in the tone control is a different type. Or maybe it's down to the quality / type of wiring - though I can't actually see any physical difference here...

Perhaps it's down to the woods used, or construction? Who knows? But considering the difference in price of both basses when new - there really isn't that much difference. The Squier CV is indeed better than many US Fenders I've played, though I'm sure some would disagree. Having foolishly sold one, I'm glad I bought another, as the Fiesta Red has been discontinued a while, and I'm sure they'll be collectible in future. I definitely own too many basses, but I just can't bring myself to sell the CV again.

Edited by Marc S

Until this week I'd never owned a Fender

I have a '83 Squier JV 64P - does that count?

My other basses are bitsas from Warmoth bodies and Warmoth/Status necks...so while Fender shaped aren't Fenders.

However this week I bought my first Fender badged bass....not a P, not a J either...
It's a T-Bucket 300CE acoustic!!

I almost always gig my GMR 5 because I'm completely comfortable and confident with her. Especially if it's a new venue and I'm nervous. Gigged my Fender Jazz Aerodyne 4 in Nashville twice last month because she was the only bass I had there, and took her to Aynsley Lister's guitar weekend because I'd flown back with her two days before and couldn't take my hands off her.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1475592077' post='3147182']
Until this week I'd never owned a Fender

I have a '83 Squier JV 64P - does that count?

My other basses are bitsas from Warmoth bodies and Warmoth/Status necks...so while Fender shaped aren't Fenders.

However this week I bought my first Fender badged bass....not a P, not a J either...
It's a T-Bucket 300CE acoustic!!
[/quote]How are you finding the T-Bucket?
I am in the market for an Acoustic.