Why become a member? ×

33" B-G strings set recommendations?

mr.noisy

Hey guys,
I have a custom 33" bass for a few years now. I used to have it in E-C but I have changed to the standard tuning a while ago because of the requirements of the stuff that I am playing right now. I found that most of the B strings are problematic because the taper starts way too far and I need to put the string to the tuner post in it's full size and it usually breaks on the post. Most of the time somehow I managed to make it work anyway but sometimes I just have to bin the strings and replace it with another one hoping that it won't be too bad. Anyone had similar problems? What strings do you use on your 33" fivers?

I've been playing 33" basses for a long ol' time now and I've not really run into problems with any strings manufacturer I've tried.
The only issue you can get is the taper starting a bit late, which can look a bit odd, but shouldn't effect how the string plays or sounds as that's determined by the bridge and nut.
As mentioned above, Newtone will wind you custom strings in any length and gauge. All they'll need is the measurement from where the string anchors on your bass at the bridge to the nut. They do make lovely strings too :)

Eude

thank you very much for your response guys. I am not really into ordering custom stuff and would rather find some readily available strings that would suit my bass better. I made a couple of pictures to show you what's going on on my B string at the tuner post.

So, basically the tapering at the end when the string gets thinner is way too far from the post and it creates a big problem. First - if I trim the string, it is almost impossible to fit it into the tuning post as the string is too fat, and when I somehow manage to fit it, it breaks (you can see this kinda spring-like effect) and when I am trying to tune it up to the correct pitch, it is just dropping down. Sometimes I manage to tune it to the B, but I had a couple of strings that snapped right at the post before I managed to tune it to the right pitch. I guess I could try the lighter gauge strings, but still, I'd rather have an option for a medium scale 5 string set that I know will work fine than playing an expensive game of hit and miss. So far every 5 string set I have seen is for a long scale bass.

Wow, those must be some super-long strings!
Are you leaving 2 inches of string after the post, before you bend it to create the bit to poke into the tuner? I've never ever come across this in nearly 10 years of playing 33" basses!
If this is a brand specific problem, here's the strings I've used over those years with no issues whatsoever >>

Rotosound
D'Addario
DR
Picato
Elixir
Fender
Newtone (non custom length ones)

Cheers,
Eude

Oh, also, medium scale strings wo't necessarily work, as 33" is longer than what's considered medium by the bass industry, which is 32".
Seriously, I've never had an issue with long scale strings on a 33" bass.

Eude

Currently the bass is strung with Warwick strings. I had two sets - one red label and one black label. The B string is actually from one set and the rest from another but I can't remember which, but one of the B strings broke at the post so I used one from the other sets and it almost did the same thing

Cheers, I think I used Dunlop Superbrights before and didn't have that problem, but not 100% sure as it was last year just to check if I would like B-G on it and then went back to the E-C. I used D'Addario's but only with E-C set-up.
Just to clarify, you have your 33" bass set up B-G?

Yup, I've never tuned in anything but B to G.
As it happens, I have had Dunlops too, which were fine length wise, although I found them a bit too floppy on the shorter scale, I imagine they're lovely on a regular bass though.

Cheers,
Ewan