Why become a member? ×

Ashdown RM-112T- v Barefaced Super compact

Kevin Dean

The Ashdown Cab arrived this morning & I spent several hours A/B ing them Both were put on the floor & eq set flat , I tried them at different volume levels & to be honest there is very very little difference between the two to my ears .Maybe I may have a different opinion after a few gigs ? Together they sound very good also . I could be looking at shifting one of My Barefaced cabs If not both .[attachment=229271:Ashdown12.jpg]

Without even looking at the Ashdown specs and just comparing the retail prices, I'm pleasantly surprised that Ashdown can build a cab selling at £275 that performs as well as a Barefaced Super Compact. Even more amazing when you consider the retail cost, minus the retailers mark-up. :happy:

Frank.

Colour me interested! Am actually considering trading-down on my amp and cabs, having gone to using in-ears, but feeling the need to have a combo or cheaper amp/cab as a 'just incase' we ever have to gig and use someone else's PA rig and in-ears aren't an option..

An ABM1000 and a pair of super compacts seems slightly over the top for 'in case of emergencies'....

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1475589644' post='3147145']
I'm pleasantly surprised that Ashdown can build a cab . . . . that performs as well as a Barefaced Super Compact.
[/quote]

That's quite a leap. . . . given you've only read one person's opinion.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1475592364' post='3147188']
Cool - I look forward a flood of cheap compacts on the for sale forum ..:-)

More seriously, given that [b][u]Ashdown publish no useful specs about the performance of the cab[/u][/b] (although ears are useful) you should wait until you've tried them both out in more situations..
[/quote]

Exactly.

If something seems too good to be true, it usually is. There is no way I'd swap a Super Compact for an Ashdown RM-112T.

Frank.

I'm guessing the Ashdown will be down a couple of db and probably doesn't go as low in the frequency range.
But I don't see why it can't sound just as good although response will be different.
Some people may not need the extra efficiency etc. And some may even prefer the ashdown's tone.

But I see some barefaced owners seem to be getting a little defensive maybe?

Just to answer a few questions , The tweeter has a off /med /high switch , I've just been trying them again at gigging volume , One thing to bear in mind is that I'm using a Ashdown ABM1000 & it has a lot more oomph than , anything else I've had , Mark bass TC , etc I originally got this because I use a Roland GR55 & with synth sounds I thought the Ashdowns tweeter would help if this cab was sat on top of the Barefaced . But I didn't expect it to be as good as it is as a stand alone cab ..The mid range is slightly more pronounced & that suites my plectrum style .Initially I'm very impressed , I'll report back after a couple of gigs lets see if it farts out or falls to pieces ;) , It sits really well on top of the Barefaced super compact so could be a cheaper alternative to those thinking of getting a midget .

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1475605160' post='3147360']
I'm guessing the Ashdown will be down a couple of db and probably doesn't go as low in the frequency range.
But I don't see why it can't sound just as good although response will be different.
Some people may not need the extra efficiency etc. And some may even prefer the ashdown's tone.

[u][b]But I see some barefaced owners seem to be getting a little defensive maybe[/b][/u]?
[/quote]

Haha. You can only really mean me and you won't find anywhere that I've got into a slanging match over Barefaced gear and I doubt you ever will.

Everyone chooses gear that suits them best and I'm not disputing that. If the Ashdown suits better than Barefaced, then that's that. No one will die. :)

Frank.

Excellent to hear that the Ashdown more than competes with the expensive Barefaced counterpart, particularly given how Barefaced advertise they should compete to other 1x12 cabs. Look forward to hearing further comparisons from you in the real world gigging environment!

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1475616793' post='3147486']
Excellent to hear that the Ashdown more than competes with the expensive Barefaced counterpart, particularly given how Barefaced advertise they should compete to other 1x12 cabs. Look forward to hearing further comparisons from you in the real world gigging environment!
[/quote]

I agree Kev. I'll be selling my Barefaced cabs and buying these less expensive Ashdowns myself if they are as "good" in a gigging environment. I can't believe I'm thinking about moving away from Barefaced after 7 years with them but there you go...and I said above that I wouldn't, but I have to be open-minded to advances in technology. :unsure:

Frank.

I'd be surprised if the Ashdown could match the output of the Barefaced when played at high volumes, simply because the sort of drivers that can do that tend to cost more than would seem likely for a cab at this price point. It could still be a pleasant sounding cab though, and looks like good value.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1475621146' post='3147512']
I agree Kev. I'll be selling my Barefaced cabs and buying these less expensive Ashdowns myself if they are as "good" in a gigging environment. I can't believe I'm thinking about moving away from Barefaced after 7 years with them but there you go...and I said above that I wouldn't, but I have to be open-minded to advances in technology. :unsure:

Frank.
[/quote]

I'm in the market for a £200 Barefaced Compact.. As the Ashdown is only £275 new, that would seem to be the new market price :)

Interesting first impressions - it'll be good to hear how you feel about the Ashdown after a few gigs!

I've never got on with Ashdown amps but have used a few of the cabs & they've always been fine - enjoyment of sound is such an interesting one as we all perceive it differently & have different tonal goals (as I found out in my own recent cab search), often the most pleasing cab to the ear isn't the loudest.

Decent handles on the Ashdown too - how much does it weigh?

[quote name='Marty Forrer' timestamp='1475616429' post='3147483']
I trust your testing was done with the cabs in different positions? As in A/B as your pic, then A/B with the Ashdown on the bottom?
[/quote]
As I said , Both were placed on the floor in exactly the same position , as each other when tested on their own . not stacked at all .

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1475657973' post='3147643']
Interesting first impressions - it'll be good to hear how you feel about the Ashdown after a few gigs!

I've never got on with Ashdown amps but have used a few of the cabs & they've always been fine - enjoyment of sound is such an interesting one as we all perceive it differently & have different tonal goals (as I found out in my own recent cab search), often the most pleasing cab to the ear isn't the loudest.

Decent handles on the Ashdown too - how much does it weigh?
[/quote] Weight is 22lbs

When it comes to cost of a product , you have to take loads of things into account , labor , rent , buying new equipment , research ,for larger companies that have a lot of these things in place & they can do high quantity orders of materials & if they are established enough they can sell a product at a loss to get into a market . I'm not affiliated with Ashdown or Barefaced both companies make good products . The only thing I'm not keen on The Ashdown is the Cloth grill . & I will keep the Barefaced in the van just in case ;)

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1475622848' post='3147525']
I'd be surprised if the Ashdown could match the output of the Barefaced when played at high volumes,[color=#ff0000] simply because the sort of drivers that can do that tend to cost more than would seem likely for a cab at this price point[/color]. It could still be a pleasant sounding cab though, and looks like good value.
[/quote]

This...