Why become a member? ×

I love this bass! Jow.

karlfer

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1475732890' post='3148249']
If you read the wording, the basses are "designed in the UK" He's not a UK Luthier, he's buying them in from China or somwehere like that. Not that it's the end of the world, but you're getting what you pay for.
[/quote]

Yes, like many folk, I can read and I'm fully aware of that.
He's getting them MADE to his spec in China as nothing similar was available in the UK without going custom or self build.
No different to Whitley, Chowney, Konig and others. Or countless others with Japanese basses in the 70's.
And at £300 it seems to me, you are getting a lot of niche market bass/hard case for the money.

Lets say I wanted to build a Precision.
£100 for a reasonable body.
£200 for a good, professional spray.
There's your £300 gone.

Limited appeal bass, limited options BUT SOME may well be interested.

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1475730403' post='3148242']

... yet you play Stingrays, whose scratchplates came straight off a banjo :P ;) :D

I once specc'd up a bass that looked a lot like this from Cataldo and it came to £1600.
Nice one Jow.
[/quote]

Only my classic5 has the banjo one actually, the others are 5 stringers with the even uglier ones,lol.

I think they look good overall, who's going first then?

I like the logo, imo it's a similar style to a few of the 70's Japanese logos.
The scratchplate is very similar to the one on The Ox's original bass. For me, with the sunburst, I'd probably go gold 'plate. Might look ok with no 'plate.

I think for £300, this is a great starting point for this kind of bass. I also think it helps that the original thought behind it was for the chap who wanted one to gig.

The Cataldo's are excellent, but with that comes the price. I guess Lull, John Shuker etc would also sort you.

Might be good anybody close to Wakefield, who is interested, having a word with Jow.

Personally, I'm waiting for the result of Sea Foam Green :lol:

It's early days in the production of a bass I am definitely interested in, so I will follow the progress with a view to buying one in the future.

The only thing stopping me getting one now is the colour and the nut width, I love sunburst but I already have four, and now I really fancy going for something surfy, and as I said earlier, the nut looks about precision size to me, and as much as I have tried, I just can't get on with a wider nut. :unsure:

Fenderbird type instruments aren't really my thing, but it's nice to see the old 'Bird's place in history being nodded to once again.

Looks like a good deal for the money, some of the flavour of the NR Thunderbird of old has been captured (including the (IMHO) daft jack socket position between the pots ;) ), top horns look right, pickguard looks good too (and I know what people are saying about the guard being shaped for a bridge pickup which isn't there - but Gibson did exactly this back in the day - they used the same guard regardless of whether or not it was going on a Thunderbird II (single pickup) or IV (dual pickup).

What bugs me about it (and it took me a minute to work it out) is how cut across the bottom it is - it's almost a straight line, and it looks downright weird to me, like someone took a saw to it. It is probably the literal reversal of the Reverse design body, which makes logical sense but the bottom (bridge) end of the Non-Reverse body is much more rounded than that. Whether this is was intentional as a weight relief measure or just to give it its own distinctiveness (by becoming a hybrid of the top of an NR Thunderbird and the bottom of one of those Greco NRs (which was pretty much a Reverse body, reversed - or an upside down lefty with the right handed controls), or an error in communicating body shape/dimensions is not for me to say, but it spoils it a little for me, as a former owner of an actual NR Thunderbird (albeit the modern, this century reissue).

As a Thunderbird aficionado, first impressions are that it's ugly as sin and the more I look at it, the worse it actually gets. Visually, the bridge looks wrong, the pickup looks wrong, finish looks nasty. (I doubt spraying it green or any other [i]surf [/i]colour will up the ante)...it just looks very home made. Just watched the videos on the website and it doesn't sound very nice either (it always makes me chuckle when people give a URL as W-W-dot too), so there's nothing redeeming in it's tone either.

Horrible!
P

Add: Neeph hit on the subject of a full reverse-reverse - Fernandes did one which was based on one of Nikki Sixx's Spector models:

Here's the photo off the JOW website if anyone needs it:

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1475752242' post='3148430']
It's early days in the production of a bass I am definitely interested in, so I will follow the progress with a view to buying one in the future.

The only thing stopping me getting one now is the colour and the nut width, I love sunburst but I already have four, and now I really fancy going for something surfy, and as I said earlier, the nut looks about precision size to me, and as much as I have tried, I just can't get on with a wider nut. :unsure:
[/quote]
Hi, yes the nut is 42mm. I know what you mean about the Jazz nut. I had a Fender Jap 75 reissue for years and the neck was sweet.

Cheers, Jow

[quote name='Jow Bass' timestamp='1475778978' post='3148751']
Hi, yes the nut is 42mm. I know what you mean about the Jazz nut. I had a Fender Jap 75 reissue for years and the neck was sweet.

Cheers, Jow
[/quote]Hi Jow
Maybe a nice sweet jazz-size neck sometime in the future? :)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1475740068' post='3148288']

Yes, like many folk, I can read and I'm fully aware of that.
He's getting them MADE to his spec in China as nothing similar was available in the UK without going custom or self build.
No different to Whitley, Chowney, Konig and others. Or countless others with Japanese basses in the 70's.
And at £300 it seems to me, you are getting a lot of niche market bass/hard case for the money.

Lets say I wanted to build a Precision.
£100 for a reasonable body.
£200 for a good, professional spray.
There's your £300 gone.

Limited appeal bass, limited options BUT SOME may well be interested.
[/quote]
Yes, I appreciate that. You're right. It's good value for money. It's also I great breath of fresh air that its not yet another regurgitation of the P-bass look.

Thanks for posting it. Sorry for posting the first post. I should have kept out. I apologise.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1475784832' post='3148811']
Yes, I appreciate that. You're right. It's good value for money. It's also I great breath of fresh air that its not yet another regurgitation of the P-bass look.

Thanks for posting it. Sorry for posting the first post. I should have kept out. I apologise.
[/quote]

No you shouldn't, I shouldn't be such a grumbly, sarcastic, old git :rolleyes: :blush: :P

[quote name='grayn' timestamp='1475687668' post='3148004']
Why does it have a scratchplate, that's been shaped for a bridge pickup?

Kinda cool though.
[/quote] I agree it looks very odd, but perhaps there is a 2 pickup version to come? I get that it's Gibson meets Fender but why only Fender type body colours, this would look good with more of a Gibsonesque Tobacco Sunburst or may be a natural finish, assuming the wood is half way reasonable and not a lump of cardboard. White with a black scratch plate would be good too and probably more easily achieved.