Why become a member? ×

I love this bass! Jow.

karlfer

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1475931025' post='3149851']
I agree it looks very odd, but perhaps there is a 2 pickup version to come? I get that it's Gibson meets Fender but why only Fender type body colours, this would look good with more of a Gibsonesque Tobacco Sunburst or may be a natural finish, assuming the wood is half way reasonable and not a lump of cardboard. White with a black scratch plate would be good too and probably more easily achieved.
[/quote]

A major point (to me) is that it is the single pup, with chrome cover, similar to what The Ox and others have used. SEE LINK in post # 21
There are plenty of two pick p TBirds around, even a few non reverse with 2 pups, but, outside of original, or custom luthier build, I have not seen an affordable single pick up job.
Very niche, but I know a few folk like this DIFFERENT kind of bass.

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1476007074' post='3150335']

A major point (to me) is that it is the single pup, with chrome cover, similar to what The Ox and others have used. SEE LINK in post # 21
There are plenty of two pick p TBirds around, even a few non reverse with 2 pups, but, outside of original, or custom luthier build, I have not seen an affordable single pick up job.
Very niche, but I know a few folk like this DIFFERENT kind of bass.
[/quote]

I've never seen JE playing a single pickup Tbird. I don't doubt that he probably owned several though!
I agree though, an affordable single pickup bird is sorely needed.

[quote name='LZD56' timestamp='1476034826' post='3150667']
Well, as the original suggestion for sonic blue with tort guard was mine & now there may be the possibility of a jazz neck then I'm more than just interested. Dots or block inlays on the neck?

:gas:
[/quote]A bit of binding would look good on mine! :)

As with all these bassists (Chowney/Konig/Whitley etc) getting their ideal basses made for them, to their spec, in China, it's unlikely to end up as a massive corporate business for them.

The $/£ rate is now a massive issue as well (today I've seen an American STANDARD Jazz, £1700 :o :o new on FEEBAY).

The only way prices can be reasonable is through economy of scale SO I think it's unlikely there will be a lot of scope for them to arrive at your door custom specced.
I personally think if Jow managed half a dozen Sonic Blue in both 5 and 4 string, even that's a risk for him. It's him that's having to fork out his money with no guarantee of sales.

My personal spec would be Sea Foam Green 4 with J neck profile and a maple board.
In a way I wish I hadn't started this because I've put Jow in an almost impossible position trying to please everybody. There are perhaps half a dozen folk stating an interest, but all with slight variances.

Couple of observations. 40 years ago some of us were slagging Japanese off as poor copies.
Quite a lot of folk, over the last few years, have been waxing very positively about Chinese made Fenders, especially CV stuff.

Sorry Jow :blush:

[quote name='LZD56' timestamp='1476034826' post='3150667']
Well, as the original suggestion for sonic blue with tort guard was mine & now there may be the possibility of a jazz neck then I'm more than just interested. Dots or block inlays on the neck?

:gas:
[/quote] My supplier assures me he can do all your mods. :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1475922160' post='3149761']
Needs the extra string though for me or I'll never play it, I'm guessing that's not going to be an option?
[/quote]Yep, I can do that for you.
[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1476041526' post='3150775']
As with all these bassists (Chowney/Konig/Whitley etc) getting their ideal basses made for them, to their spec, in China, it's unlikely to end up as a massive corporate business for them.

The $/£ rate is now a massive issue as well (today I've seen an American STANDARD Jazz, £1700 :o :o new on FEEBAY).

The only way prices can be reasonable is through economy of scale SO I think it's unlikely there will be a lot of scope for them to arrive at your door custom specced.
I personally think if Jow managed half a dozen Sonic Blue in both 5 and 4 string, even that's a risk for him. It's him that's having to fork out his money with no guarantee of sales.

My personal spec would be Sea Foam Green 4 with J neck profile and a maple board.
In a way I wish I hadn't started this because I've put Jow in an almost impossible position trying to please everybody. There are perhaps half a dozen folk stating an interest, but all with slight variances.

Couple of observations. 40 years ago some of us were slagging Japanese off as poor copies.
Quite a lot of folk, over the last few years, have been waxing very positively about Chinese made Fenders, especially CV stuff.

[/quote][quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1476041526' post='3150775']

[/quote] No worries, I've learnt a lot from it. Mainly my supplier can do more or less what I want. This as give me the idea of starting a custom bass & guitar website so I don't have to carry large amounts of stock. All knowledge is good - Budda or Yoda probably said that, and they were right :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Jow has really gone all out to take his un-asked for market research onboard :i-m_so_happy:

For years I've wanted something this different, yet retro. The cost has always been prohibitive. To get one with a jazz neck, single chrome covered pup, in the colour/plate/ board I want, for around the cost of a used Mex Standard Precision.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO, Hell yeah!

Already counting the days until my Sea Foam Green turns up :party:

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1477345006' post='3161663']
Well, Jow has really gone all out to take his un-asked for market research onboard :i-m_so_happy:

For years I've wanted something this different, yet retro. The cost has always been prohibitive. To get one with a jazz neck, single chrome covered pup, in the colour/plate/ board I want, for around the cost of a used Mex Standard Precision.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NO TO, Hell yeah!

[/quote]

Looking forward to reading your report of it!

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1477345561' post='3161668']
[/quote]

You'll be waiting a while.
Jow's is a micro business in it's very early stages. He will need to be careful with cash flow so it's going to be a patience gig for buyers.
I recently acquired a Squire CV 50's Precision, made in China. It's frankly astonishing.

That is one of the reasons I've just said sod it (as I know at least 2 others have).
The good thing is Jow is a well respected session and live bassist who knows what bassics we need to be right. If they are right, I can do the rest myself.

You just KNOW a bass like this will court interest at a gig :D .

Karl thanks for starting a thread. I'd saw the site a couple of weeks back but forgot to bookmark it or write down the name :blush:

Been driving me nuts trying to remember :) With me being nuts about Peaveys it's unlikely I'll be buying one but I think it's great we have another
fella in the UK starting up.Chinese manufacture doesn't bother me in the slightest,well impressed with my Retrovibes so can't see these being any ldifferent.

Bookmarked the page now and will keep an eye out for occasions when I can give them a plug.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1477346592' post='3161682']
Karl thanks for starting a thread. I'd saw the site a couple of weeks back but forgot to bookmark it or write down the name :blush:

Been driving me nuts trying to remember :) With me being nuts about Peaveys it's unlikely I'll be buying one but I think it's great we have another
fella in the UK starting up.Chinese manufacture doesn't bother me in the slightest,well impressed with my Retrovibes so can't see these being any ldifferent.

Bookmarked the page now and will keep an eye out for occasions when I can give them a plug.
[/quote]

My pleasure Davie, you've done plenty for other folks on here, that's for sure! :i-m_so_happy:
[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1477348646' post='3161695']
So Jazz neck, solid colour body - what sort of price? And can you either match headstock colour to body or leave it unpainted to match the neck?

Anyone able to give me an idea of how this would sound compared to what I know, which is precision and jazz?
[/quote]

Go to post #1, click on the link for Adam's (JOW) website. There are short videos for both the long scale 34" and shortscale 30" on there. As far as sound is concerned, you should be able to get a great deal of tones out of it, between amp, pedals, technique. Although it is quite gritty on the vids, due to pick use, I would be very surprised if there isn't some lovely smooth stuff in the bass, for finger style, clean amp sound bassists.

Specs, prices, well contact Jow through pm on here or directly through his website.

I don't expect this bass to be of the quality of a Shuker but I would expect it to be a thoroughly usable gigging machine that looks different.
That's why he got them made for himself originally.
I'm so glad he did :D

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1477345006' post='3161663']

LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO, Hell yeah!

[/quote]
[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1477345561' post='3161668']
[/quote]

And it then appearing in the Basses For Sale section shortly afterwards... ;)

[size=3](sorry Karl, somebody had to say it!)[/size]

[quote name='tony_m' timestamp='1477398460' post='3161950']
And it then appearing in the Basses For Sale section shortly afterwards... ;)

[size=3](sorry Karl, somebody had to say it!)[/size]
[/quote]

I really hope not Tony.
The specs I've asked for are, shall we say, niche.
The bass is also niche.

I VILL MAKE ZIS WERK :ph34r: :lol: