Why become a member? ×

EMG PJX vs PJX-CS

Dood

I'm trying to find reviews and quality video/audio clips of these sets of pickups to actually hear the difference.

The only descriptive offerings I can find so far talk of 'added warmth' and 'headroom', which is pretty meaningless. Needs review videos :)

I've a set of 'non-X' PJ's in a bass as a starting point and would love to know how these compare.

I have a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 which came with MEC PJ pups. I swapped these out for an EMG PJ-X set, hoping to find a bit more bottom, more punch and the elusive "warmth" that you refer to. Unfortunately I didn't find any of these and after about 6 months changed these for a standard EMG PJ set. Comparing the PJ-X to the standard EMG PJ, the X series J is a lot lower in output and very neutral in character - no extended bass or highs, just flat and boring. The X series P is a louder than the J but still not as big or as full as the standard P, it's a little brighter than the standard one but lacks its punch and heft. Overall I'd say the standard series is a lot more compressed and "full on" than the X series which to me sounded weak and unexciting by comparison.

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1475777192' post='3148731']
I have a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 which came with MEC PJ pups. I swapped these out for an EMG PJ-X set, hoping to find a bit more bottom, more punch and the elusive "warmth" that you refer to. Unfortunately I didn't find any of these and after about 6 months changed these for a standard EMG PJ set. Comparing the PJ-X to the standard EMG PJ, the X series J is a lot lower in output and very neutral in character - no extended bass or highs, just flat and boring. The X series P is a louder than the J but still not as big or as full as the standard P, it's a little brighter than the standard one but lacks its punch and heft. Overall I'd say the standard series is a lot more compressed and "full on" than the X series which to me sounded weak and unexciting by comparison.
[/quote]

Ahhhhhhhhhh! At last! Someone with actual experience! You are a gem! Thank you! Funnily your comments do support my feelings about the non-X versions. I think I'll look out for said PJ set and not worry about the X series.

Cheers!