Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced Two10 (update: x2!!!, post 64)

mcnach

I didn't have time to do much apart from unpacking it, putting my LM3 through it and try it with a Stingray, Maruszczyk Jake P/JJ and a Jazz for about 20 minutes.

I have to say it looks soooo much better than previous BF cabs. They should really consider using this finish in the rest of the range.

There's plenty of treble for my taste, nothing to worry about. Much deeper than the TKS S112 but the lows seem tight. One thing I had with the Compact/BB2 was that they could get a little too big and boomy. It sounds like this one is much better in that respect, for my liking.

But it's early days, let's wait and see. I ordered the cover from RoqSolid at the same time I ordered the cab, last week, and I don't have the cover yet, so I'm not taking it out yet since I haven't decided whether I'll keep it and I want to keep it pristine. However the first impression was good.

Don't fight now, kids ;)

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1475695623' post='3148098']
Oddly, when I order my One or Two10 I'm going to *demand* (hehehe) the same finish as in the Super Compact, I prefer it for life going in and out of vans :)
[/quote]

ha! :)

The thing is I don't think the other finish is that durable. I was careful with my Compact and the two BB2 I had, and they got a couple of small chips each despite my best efforts. Easy to retouch but... you'll need a cover regardless (I used covers on mine!).

I have an odd midweek gig later tonight, some promotion at one of the usual music bars in town (Stramash, if anybody is in the area and fancy some Sea Bass Kid ;)) taking advantage of the influx of students back at University... I'd love to take the Two10 but it's impossible to park by the venue and I don't want to risk marking it by using the trolley without a cover, in case I decide not to keep it... AND IT'S TORTURE!

I arrived home from work about half an hour ago and I've been playing a bit more with it, this time with the Streamliner 900, as the LM3 is already packed in the car ready to go... I'm really liking it. I know I cannot judge it at the kind of volumes I'm playing in this small room... but it truly is a LOT different from the BB2, and clearly THIS is a lot closer to my kind of sound.
I want to try it side by side with the TKS S112s. I think the Two10 has a bigger bottom but it's probably tight and manageable at higher volume, and it's very promising. I love the TKS S112s, but they are a little limited in volume/bass at times. Not often, but enough to worry me a bit that one day someone else is going to use them and crank the bass and volume and damage them... and the Two10 could offer a cool alternative, maybe (getting another one)...

The label on the side... I wish it were a corner/diagonal logo instead so that it worked in vertical and horizontal configuration, but not a biggie.

Here it is next to the TKS S112s for comparison. The Two10 is almost the same width and depth, just a tiny bit wider, and taller. I should still be able to put two of them in my boot ;)

Looks good - I'd be [b]very[/b] tempted to replace the grill (and logo) with something else if it was me; buy a nice bit of metal grill, cut to size, paint it a nice colour & even spray a design on it if you wanted - easy & you don't have to worry about the sideways logo or the odd non-perforated grill bits!

[quote name='Marty Forrer' timestamp='1475806918' post='3148912']
The point is that not a single one of the punters paying to see you play gives a rats about the grill and logo. It's the sound and your groove they care about.
[/quote]
. . . . that also goes for the guys you play with.

That is brand new information!

Seriously though; we all know that but we are creatures of lust that have an inherent need to spend money which is why we all buy ourselves nice stuff. If it was just about tone/groove we'd all be using P-basses & sending everything DI'd through the PA.

Edited by Lw.

[quote name='Marty Forrer' timestamp='1475806918' post='3148912']
The point is that not a single one of the punters paying to see you play gives a rats about the grill and logo. It's the sound and your groove they care about.
[/quote]

you choose the colour of your bass because you like it or because you think someone else out there may care?

Aesthetics matter. Would a logo (size, orientation or even design) be a deal breaker? Not to me. But do I have a preference? Of course I do. Does it matter enough to me to do something about it? Well, it's not on my top 10 things to do this weekend ;)

You seem to have a very utilitarian and black-or-white point of view. Function matters most, no doubt. But aesthetics are an important factor to me for sure too.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1475831099' post='3149004']
That is brand new information!

Seriously though; we all know that but we are creatures of lust that have an inherent need to spend money which is why we call buy ourselves nice stuff. If it was just about tone/groove we'd all be using P-basses & sending everything DI'd through the PA.
[/quote]

We'd still find something to argue passionately about :P

I've had my pair of 210s for well over 18 months. I thought the logo thing would bug me at first, but it doesn't - Nobody ever sees them due to my fat a**e and legs being in front of them anyway.

I rarely play mine on their side - I much prefer the extra whoomph from them being horizontal, and rarely need to use both. Most of my gigs are more than covered by a single 210.

Welcome to the club McNach, I really enjoy mine. The peeling Tolex on the edges of the rear access panel is still frustrating, but they more than make up for that in sound!

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1475831099' post='3149004']
If it was just about tone/groove we'd all be using P-basses & sending everything DI'd through the PA.
[/quote]

That is what I thought in 1974 and it's what I think now.
Pity I spent so much time and money in the intervening 42 years proving to myself that I was right in the first place. :mellow:

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1475831833' post='3149015']
I've had my pair of 210s for well over 18 months. I thought the logo thing would bug me at first, but it doesn't - Nobody ever sees them due to my fat a**e and legs being in front of them anyway.

I rarely play mine on their side - I much prefer the extra whoomph from them being horizontal, and rarely need to use both. Most of my gigs are more than covered by a single 210.

Welcome to the club McNach, I really enjoy mine. The peeling Tolex on the edges of the rear access panel is still frustrating, but they more than make up for that in sound!
[/quote]

Were yours early production ones? I hope they sorted their glue issues by now! :blink: Other makers manage just fine!

I still haven't taken mine out of the house... the cover will be here anytime (looks impatiently at the watch). Tonight's and tomorrow's gigs will be done on the pair of TKS S112 'though as I don't feel like experimenting on these. But next Wednesday I have another midweek odd gig, the same student promotion deal in town. This time it's with "Radge Against The Machine", so I will use the Two10 there for sure, especially considering Tim C uses these cabs now :lol: Not that it play any role in my decision to try them, but my guitarist is excited about it. It's probably the second time in all my time playing that a guitarist cared about what cabs I use :P

I have to say I like the sound it makes at home with the Streamliner 900. The LM3 remains in its "ready-to-go-to-a-gig" case and I've been too lazy to fetch it and set it up. Maybe tomorrow afternoon I will have some time before I get on my car for my gig in Dundee.

I like a lot of definition in my sound, and the lows present but tight. That's something I loved in the TKS S112 and everytime I get the chance to use them in anger I end up smiling a lot. The only thing is their output is limited, so in some occasions that is not ideal. Most times it's absolutely fine, but when it isn't it's a bit sad. I'm getting the feeling that tonally I will not like the Two10 more than the TKS S112, but it may be close enough and sound good enough (in fact it may even sound VERY good, from what I'm hearing!)... and it'll be a lot louder and with more 'oomph' yet the low end seems reasonably tight, unlike the Compact/BB2... (not that they were bad, but this is more my thing)...

I just want to stop typing and go use the damn thing. I'm only here out of frustration while I wait :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1475832312' post='3149021']
That is what I thought in 1974 and it's what I think now.
Pity I spent so much time and money in the intervening 42 years proving to myself that I was right in the first place. :mellow:
[/quote]

Don't worry... one day you'll find the Stingray and it'll be worth it :P

woohoo! the cover was sent earlier today! So the Two10 will see action next week for sure. First the Wednesday gig... and on Saturday I play at the O2 in Glasgow so it seems like a great opportunity to see how it behaves on a decent stage :)