Why become a member? ×

NGD, sort of

Danuman

A friend of mine found this in the attic of his girlfriend's house.

Looks like it's a Teisco. Plywood body, bolt on neck.

It's not in great shape, but it sounds surprisingly good!
It shows lots of signs of extensive work, so I'm guessing some previous owner used to really love this guitar. (Or hated it, for that matter, but I prefer not to think so.)

As is, it plays like a cricket bat, so I'll have to see whether a new nut might make it play a bit nicer. Not bad for a free guitar. :)

Anybody know anything about these?

Haha, wow, a neck reshape... you make it sound easy. :P

I'm debating whether it's worth sinking some money in this. It seems to be a cheaply but rather well made guitar.
The neck is a bit chunky, but it's quite narrow, which - to my surprise - seems to be working for me. It's light, resonant and well balanced, so I guess I'm just going to start fixing minor issues first and see where I'll end up. :)

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1475962478' post='3150167']
Haha, wow, a neck reshape... you make it sound easy. :P
[/quote]Once you get through the finish, it's surprising how little sanding makes a big difference. It's being confident enough to take the bull by the horns, or should I say, guitar by the neck.

Wow, those gold foils look cool! However, this doesn't seem to be one.

The guitar sounds amazing, though! I took it to a rehearsal earlier tonight, and it just sings. Especially that fugly, sloppily grafted neck pickup sounds killer.

Unfortunately, it doesn't play very well and the vibrato part of the bridge seems to sort of shear off the ball end of the high e string when you go for a big bend. (Nothing extreme, though, say a minor third.)

I wonder if I can get it anywhere near acceptable myself. I doubt the guitar is worth a visit to my preferred luthier (truly great, but expensive), so I guess I'll be learning a thing or two about guitar construction. :)

• 2 weeks later...