Why become a member? ×

Opening Number

grumpyguts

Different position for us, we do instrumental funk, 7 piece band, in pubs and small festivals.

We st team 70's soul funk and classic soundtracks for the time it takes to set up.

We open with a forty minute long medley with segues between tracks. It starts off very very quite and moody and goes through a whole series of ups and downs and dynamics but never stops grooving hard.

Goes down brilliantly...

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1475942078' post='3149971']
I played Sultans of Swing 486 times with my last band - each time the set opener. Settled us down if nothing else, and everyone knows it.
[/quote]

We open with this more often than not. It's a nice loosener to get warmed up. Not too much of a strain on the vocals, gets the fingers twiddling a bit and always goes down well

We have had the situation where playing pubs, you get folks leaving to go somewhere else or coming in from somewhere else. You don't want to waste your best numbers on a small crowd when you know it's gonna get busier later. I have even resorted to the old " we've had a request to do this one again" trick. It's a bummer if someone sits all night and moans that you are repeating. It can be annoying " wasting" a crowd pleaser on a small crowd.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1476089481' post='3151040']
We have had the situation where playing pubs, you get folks leaving to go somewhere else or coming in from somewhere else. You don't want to waste your best numbers on a small crowd when you know it's gonna get busier later. I have even resorted to the old " we've had a request to do this one again" trick. It's a bummer if someone sits all night and moans that you are repeating. It can be annoying " wasting" a crowd pleaser on a small crowd.
[/quote]

There's not a lot of room for 'filling' in a two hour set. Every number should be a strong number.

I've never had any negative feedback over playing the same song twice, although it's not really necessary if you've got 30-40 songs to draw from. I think if the first number goes down really well, there's no harm in playing it again.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1476044528' post='3150831']

I quite fancy trying a country band actually, as long as the outfits weren't stupid
[/quote]

Nothing too crazy unless you want to go nuts.
We have two outfits, black shirts and trousers with hats optional for the more casual gigs or white shirts with fancy waistcoats for the more formal ones.
Collar tags, bootlace ties and fancy belts are optional.
It really makes the transition from gear lugger/rigger to performer.
I never thought I'd do anything like being in a Country band, being an old rocker at heart, but the audiences are very knowledgeable and appreciate people making an effort to meet their expectations on a night out.

Edited by NickRiffed

Designing a set that starts with a bang, dips a little in the middle, then builds to a last number that will leave the audience wanting more, is something that needs thinking about and planning.

On the last set you need to keep 2 strong numbers back for an encore. If you're on a curfew, always stop early enough so you can fit the encore in without running over.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1475962853' post='3150169']

Our BL would never call the same song twice.

Blue
[/quote]

There are occasions, when you may have learned a new song. You want to play it as a big song, but the pub is quiet, so you try it out to see how it goes and you know the audience will most likely change and grow later, so you can play it again. It's hardly short changing the people if most of them never heard the earlier rendition.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1476092544' post='3151087']
Designing a set that starts with a bang, dips a little in the middle, then builds to a last number that will leave the audience wanting more, is something that needs thinking about and planning.

On the last set you need to keep 2 strong numbers back for an encore. If you're on a curfew, always stop early enough so you can fit the encore in without running over.
[/quote]

I always found if you have the first 2 songs as very strong upbeat tracks, it'll hold the punters. Keep that slow section to nearer 2/3 into the set. Finishing with a great song is a good way to get repeat punters & bookings.

We've recently been starting with "Jailbreak", count 4 off the last beat and into "Breaking The Law". Once they're done and we've got rid of the hen parties, we'll know what direction we're heading with tonight's audience. :)

As above, we do keep most vaguely danceable things for the second set, with a couple of tasters in the first to gauge what people are expecting, and how dancy they're likely to be. The setlist for the second set can then be adjusted and tweaked at break-time.

What's a BL, by the way? :)

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1476906621' post='3158428']
Weddings - 'Dance the Night away' (Mavericks)

Pubs - 'Bad Case of Loving You' (Robert Palmer).
[/quote]

We used to play bad case years ago. It was actually written by Moon Martin and the original is a great version

We were forced to rejig the set on Saturday as the singer was on the tail end of a cold so some of the more immediately high stuff (rock & roll etc) had to go.

Opened with Johnny B Goode, which I would never have thought of and the place went mad for it. Possibly a lucky combo of a fab crowd with just the right amount of beer but it just got them up and they didn't sit down again for the whole gig.

Best gig in absolutely ages, and the new second set 80s cheese section (here I go again, gold, footloose, hungry like the wolf/dangerzone and so on) also worked like a charm. Hope they're all like that from now on!

Andy

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1476767661' post='3156997']

There are occasions, when you may have learned a new song. You want to play it as a big song, but the pub is quiet, so you try it out to see how it goes and you know the audience will most likely change and grow later, so you can play it again. It's hardly short changing the people if most of them never heard the earlier rendition.
[/quote]

Agreed, that's hardly short changing the audience.

My point was merely that our band leader would never call the same song twice. And in the US bar bands play 4 hour shows.

Blue

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1477348980' post='3161701']
At the moment, we seem to starting with "I got a feeling" But with another band, Money for nothing. The intro guitar needs some oomph behind it but people know that intro and when the drums and bass kick in it gets all the heads bobbing.
[/quote]

We opened with Money for nothing on friday, we had played the same venue a month ago so we wanted to change it round. Its a good start song.