Why become a member? ×

Backing Tracks

cgg199

Firstly, I'm not too sure if this is the right place for this topic, but I'll give this a go anyway...

I'm applying to uni to study music and therefore will need to audition in order to get in. I have chosen some pieces that I think will show off my playing as well as the type of music I'm into. My first piece is a solo bass composition, so in the audition room there will be no problems. However the other piece(s) are songs that I will be playing the bass line to. What you guys do in order to get a high quality backing track (preferably with lyrics, but I can't imagine this is possible) without the bass? The piece in question at the moment is Plastic Cup Politics by Less Than Jake.

Thanks

Try this place. You can customise what you need on the track.
Not sure if they have the tracks you need.
http://www.karaoke-version.co.uk/custombackingtrack/kc-and-the-sunshine-band/keep-it-coming-love.html

I am sure there are plenty of these sites. Someone will come along with more I should imagine.

Edited by lowdown

Where are you applying to ?

When I auditioned I had to play something of my choosing, and everything else was their choice, with them supplying the backing track. I guess this was so everyone was on a level playing field. We were given the chart and had ten minutes to prepare it, then had the audition. There were sections of sight-reading and sections with just chords for me to play my own lines.

Thanks for the help, I'll check that website out!

Leeds College of Music, Hull and BIMM are my main choices. As I've not been offered anything yet I've only got limited information, but so far from what I can find Leeds want me to prepare two pieces. One technical focus and one to show off me. BIMM want one piece to be prepared, again one that isn't necessarily too technical but one that I can really get into. I have been told by a lecturer that I will be asked to show off different techniques, scales and theory aside from the piece(s). I'm guessing I should probably wait to see if anywhere wants me to audition, and until they send further information, it's just that I want to be as prepared as possible.

By the way the courses are all Popular Music if that makes any difference.

Also, at Leeds there is a group section for the audition, where I believe you are put into some form of band to see how you work with others. This doesn't require any preparation, but maybe I'll be tested on charts here? You also get 30 mins of warm up time before the individual section, which seems a lot to me. This could also involve some charts/side Readings?

Edited by cgg199

Karaoke-Version is a great place to get backing tracks, in fact only this week I purchased seven songs to mess around with, for example, I put the drums and vocals into my daw so me and the guitarist from our band can fill in the rest, we are a one guitar band so its great tool for learning new songs, you can even choose to have a count in as well.

Each customised backing track is £1.99 and you can download each song indefinitely in loads of different variations.