Why become a member? ×

Old Czech Double Bass advice

guntherbuffalo

Have been looking at maybe taking the plunge buying my first double bass and thought I would seek some advice before going for it -

https://www.gumtree.com/p/double-bass/czech-double-bass-3-4-size-great-beginner-intermediate/1191168533

I am looking for something to play jazz/blues/folk style playing. The bass is unbranded but has a "Made In Czechoslovakia" sticker. Looks to be 1980's all plywood. Hardware etc looks similar to that of the Boosey & Hawkes Excelsior or similar.

Price seems very good to me so would leave me a bit of dosh for a half decent setup, pickup and maybe some nice strings.

Thought I would run it past the basschat experts first though to see if there was anything anyone saw that my novice eyes can't see!

Just want something that sounds nice for pizz playing that isn't so hard to play it will put me off! THanks!!

Looks pretty good.

The only thing that I noticed is that the string silks at the tail piece end are extending over the bridge...

The scale length he lists looks right for a 3/4 and the bridge appears to be roughly in the right place so I'm guessing either the tail piece wire is too long or he's got some odd strings on there. They look like Spiro Mittles to me though...

Either way it's probably a good deal if it plays alright. I wouldn't have thought it'd cost much to sort the tail piece out.

Yes, looks good. There's extra banding on the ribs that I don't usually see on Czechs (someone correct me?). The strings are SpiroMitts but the tail silks look unfeasibly long. There is a bit of scope to shorten the tail wire so the tailpiece sits lower on the body. That could help the silks to clear the bridge. Bit strange though. Are the strings 4/4 by any chance?

A possibility! Thanks for the help!

Also looking at this one. A bit further away and pricier, but appears in better condition.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172361544003?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I don't know whether B&H Excelsiors were chinese or czech made in the 80's or whether it would be laminate top. Not sure which one would be best.

Cheers!

That's a good price for what you're getting, but as above, it will need the tail-piece wire shortening and may probably need a good set-up as well (probably hasn't already been done) to make the playability easier - even with that extra added cost it is still worth buying!

I bought a 60s Czech ply bass for a similar amount from a professional who used it for a Buddy Holly musical.

It was great, but then I took it to a luthier (Martin Penning in Frome) and £500 later and the bass is incredible.

When I started I didn't realise two things:

1) How much string a and a pro art up costs (mine needed more work than a set-up, I had a new bridge, fingerboard shot).

2) The difference a pro set-up made. Before I had a wonderful sounding bass that played ok. After I had a beautiful instrument that plays amazingly.

The other thing was that I didn't realise my bass needed work until my teacher talked me through the instrument.

I'd recommend you get lessons and get a teacher who can help you with this. Mine helped me select the right strings, find a luthier and get he set up for my playing style.

If you're anything like me you'll love the instrument, but take it slowly and enjoy it... I'm still barely scratching he surface of it.