Why become a member? ×

EBS Reidmar 750 vs EDEN WT800 - gig test

doc40hz

Been using a WT800 for a while, but recently got myself a Reidmar 750 which has performed great at the past few gigs. I had to play in a massive, undefiled hall on friday and I was using my Reidmar through 2 x BIG BABY II Cabs. The amp was loud, very loud, up about half way but I couldnt get a good sound at this volume. However, the room was cavernous and not very full with reflective surfaces everywhere. Not a good sound in general.

I wasn't sure if it was the room, or my amp being pushed which resulted in the unsatisfactory sound. So for yesterdays gig, I set both my amps up and decided to switch between the two. I know the Class D debate has been raging for a while, and I've been a firm believer that Class D amps sound just fine. However, I couldn't help but thinking my Eden would have sounded better on the big stage. I used WT800 at an outdoor gig recently and my was reliably told by musician friends that the bass sounded fantastic.

And the better sounding amp last night was............the Eden.

The Reidmar does sound brilliant. It is a great sounding, and portable amplifier. I did the first half of the gig using it, and I thought that it sounded great and didn't think I needed anything else. How much better could a bass rig sound thought I?
I finished one song and quickly switched over to my Eden.

Pretty much flat EQ and an immediate fatness was noticeable off the bat. Chunky. When I dialled a bit more bass in, it was just heaven. I was using a passive bass for the gig, my Yamaha 2025x. We're a classic rock band with one guitar. I am a pretty dynamic player, using all styles and playing all over the neck. The Eden just killed. I run it bridged at 4Ohms, so 1100 watts into my two BBII cabs.

In this limited and not very scientific comparison, I would say that the old, heavy amp out performed the new light weight Class D head. Not by a great amount, but noticeable I would happily gig with the Reidmar - it does sound good. But the WT800 just sounds killer. And its not too heavy, can lift it with one hand. I'll keep the Reidmar as my back up amp.

Hard to say if its just personal preference for the sound, but the Eden seemed to have more clout/heft/girth (ugh, sorry, choose your cliche)

I think what you're saying is true..

I have a Reidmar 750 and while I think it's a superb amp, I think I get a fuller sound from my Thunderfunk. Again, there's not an awful lot in it and I'd happily gig the Reidmar anytime at any venue. I bought the Reidmar as a backup initially but, if weight becomes an issue, (I can walk to some gigs) the Reidmar works just fine.

Slightly related point: I also use a Barefaced one10 with GK MB200 for rehearsals and smaller, quieter gigs. I love this tiny rig and it sounds wonderful. The other day I swopped the MB200 for my Walkabout with the one10 and was pleasantly surprised at how much better the Walkabout sounded. At the same volumes the Walkabout is just richer and more full sounding - far more complex.

Frank.

• 3 months later...

I suspect that the colouring of the Eden may have had an influence. They're a little scooped in the mids like SWR but not to the same degree. Technically they fantastically versatile amps, stereo, biamp, bridges mono, it can do almost anything apart from 16 ohm cabs. They fatten up brittle sounding basses nicely too.

I don't know these amps very well, but the WT800 was a basic ingredient in many touring bands for years. I don't understand how Eden could have dismantled that legacy so comprehensively.

IME emphasising the mids and low mids in bad rooms can get you a better sound rather than trying to push more low end.

IMO even in good sounding rooms the mids especially low mids will make the bass sound "better".

I'm not surprised by your findings, it's what i would expect having owned a WT-550 and a Reidmar250 in the past but i wouldn't put it up to the class-D issue.

Eden amps have a built-in colour that's very bottom heavy, mid-scooped and clear highs as the Reidmar is more open with lot's of mids and harsh highs. That's the reason i moved on from both those amps, i couldn't have a clear sound with the WT, it just muddy(ed?) the stage and i had no note-to-note definition. With the reidmar i could hear the notes being played but i found it too hissy and harsh.

It's the nature of the beasts, i'm sure a lot of people will use them at great results achieving their desired tone and a good marriage with the rest of their gear. The reidmar got returned to the store 2 weeks after the purchase and replaced by a cab and the WT was replaced by a Thunderfunk andi found tone heaven!

Now you've got me sellers remorse... i'm happy with the Shuttle9.2 but i wish i still had the Thunderfunk for outdoor gigs... anybody wants a trade for my rack with alembic f1x and 1000W poweramp? Oh, the GAS...... :)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1485945446' post='3227840']
I'm not surprised by your findings, it's what i would expect having owned a WT-550 and a Reidmar250 in the past but i wouldn't put it up to the class-D issue.

Eden amps have a built-in colour that's very bottom heavy, mid-scooped and clear highs as the Reidmar is more open with lot's of mids and harsh highs. That's the reason i moved on from both those amps, i couldn't have a clear sound with the WT, it just muddy(ed?) the stage and i had no note-to-note definition. With the reidmar i could hear the notes being played but i found it too hissy and harsh.

It's the nature of the beasts, i'm sure a lot of people will use them at great results achieving their desired tone and a good marriage with the rest of their gear. The reidmar got returned to the store 2 weeks after the purchase and replaced by a cab and the WT was replaced by a Thunderfunk andi found tone heaven!

Now you've got me sellers remorse... i'm happy with the Shuttle9.2 but i wish i still had the Thunderfunk for outdoor gigs... anybody wants a trade for my rack with alembic f1x and 1000W poweramp? Oh, the GAS...... :)
[/quote]You have nailed it. I am old enough to remember Solid State amps starting to come in and lots of people said they did not sound as good as valve amps. They carefully forgot the poor valve amps. Oh how I long for my linear concord http://www.chambonino.com/work/work1.html