Why become a member? ×

Occasional Volume reduction Yamaha Bb1025

mrmcgoo1964

Hi have a Yamaha bb1025 with an intermittent fault, occasionally when the tone pot is adjusted output is drastically reduced then by turning the tone pot it comes back. Please excuse the ignorance is this just a matter of sourcing a pot and if so is it a suitable time to upgrade I have seen some discussion re changing from 250 to 500 pots.
My soldering skills are good so would anticipate tackling this myself
Thanks in advance

Sounds like the pot. Or maybe even a loose connection on the pot.
Open it up check the connections to the pot. Take multiple pictures of the electrics so you know where the wires go!.
Re solder the connections or find the value of the pot and buy the same value and type of pot. If the value isn't written on you can either find a schematic or take the pot out and test it with a multimeter to find its value.

Regarding upgrading from different values it depends I've found with actives its best to go with the same value of the original as it can throw some active electrics off a bit, but not always.
If its passive then its a matter of if you want to change it and you can experiment more freely. If you search 250k vs 500k etc then there will be loads of discussion one this.

When buying a pot its always best to get a decent quality one too.