Why become a member? ×

Acoustic basses

Chienmortbb

A couple of questions. I need to get an acoustic for acoustic open mic nightS.

I have tried Ibanez and Martin(could not afford that though) both had necks like. boat oars.
It seems that Fender and Washburn make bases with necks like electric bass guitars so has anyone experience of either the Washburn AB5 or Fender CB-100CE.

Also can anyone recommend good acoustic strings.

Edited by Chienmortbb

Completely agree with the above. I've never owned one but all the open mics and 'jam' sessions I've been to that have had one, it's always a cheaply-built one like the Fender CB100 or Ibanez models. The sound board is (obviously!) not big enough to project properly like an upright, is made from cheap laminate wood so sounds bad acoustically and you inevitably end up plugging it in, at which the acoustic properties (if any) of the instrument goes straight out the window and you then rely on the cheap, crappy preamp which just sounds like a bad electric bass with the added hassle of feedback...

I just can't see where they can be useful these days. I've played a Michael Kelly once which was beautiful and actually built from decent materials and well-constructed but again, needed plugging in. The only bass I've played that I would consider would be one of the fretless Rob Allen Deep basses. Sonically it was the only bass that offered something different in an acoustic setting that would've been worthwhile.

Edited by skej21

I agree it is more for the aesthetics and also agree that they are of little use acoustically. However the Washburn Equis preamps are great if my acoustic 6 string is anything to go by. The PA at the OM is massive featuring 15" Mackie/RCF tops and subs and the ore-amp in the bass will DI nicely. Those acoustic musos get frit by a big bad black Fender bass. No need for my amp/cab and I can go on the bus and have two beers.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1476040163' post='3150757']
A couple of questions. I need to get an acoustic for acoustic open mic nightS.

I have tried Ibanez and Martin(could not afford that though) both had necks like. boat oars.
It seems that Fender and Washburn make bases with necks like electric bass guitars so has anyone experience of either the Washburn AB5 or Fender CB-100CE.

Also can anyone recommend good acoustic strings.
[/quote]
Cheapie fender phosphor bronze work well, amazing sell them cheaply

I have one and I take it to OM nights. The only thing it's good for is playing something to show someone (i.e. With someone JUST listening), forget playing along and being heard, even over an acoustic guitar

You can't demonstrate with an electric bass unamplified in a corridor . Guy I work with, we pick something random on a whim and throw it together in the corridor, maybe playing it twice before we go on, acoustics are good for that, but I always pick up a precision before we go on

Edited by Geek99

I went with the 'stealth' approach to my local acoustic OM. Turned up with a Bass Uke and a MarkBass 801 and after a few weeks then ditched the Bass Uke and took along an Electric (but semi acoustic) Bass namely a Warwick Star Bass. Have now got an Ibanez Artcore Bass which does not upset the purists...!
Oh, and I stick Flatwounds on too.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1476042562' post='3150798']
Completely agree with the above. I've never owned one but all the open mics and 'jam' sessions I've been to that have had one, it's always a cheaply-built one like the Fender CB100 or Ibanez models. The sound board is (obviously!) not big enough to project properly like an upright, is made from cheap laminate wood so sounds bad acoustically and you inevitably end up plugging it in, at which the acoustic properties (if any) of the instrument goes straight out the window and you then rely on the cheap, crappy preamp which just sounds like a bad electric bass with the added hassle of feedback...

I just can't see where they can be useful these days. I've played a Michael Kelly once which was beautiful and actually built from decent materials and well-constructed but again, needed plugging in. The only bass I've played that I would consider would be one of the fretless Rob Allen Deep basses. Sonically it was the only bass that offered something different in an acoustic setting that would've been worthwhile.
[/quote]

I forgot about the bleedin' feedback issues! I've even got a Schaller 411 mag pickup on my upright bass :yarr:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1476044497' post='3150830']

I forgot about the bleedin' feedback issues! I've even got a Schaller 411 mag pickup on my upright bass :yarr:
[/quote]

For the amount of hassle they cause (and I even forget to mention that they are hard to find gigbags/cases for AND take up more space than an electric!) I honestly can't see what the offer to make it worthwhile.

As above, an acoustic bass won't hold its own unplugged against other acoustic instruments. I almost get away with it with a gentle octave mandolin player friend of mine, but if he digs in I'm lost. I do like mine though, and with a bit of amp support it's OK... a bugger for feedback though. Bearing in mind mine is a fretless, it's wearing D'Addario Black Nylons and I really like the thump they give.

I'm not sure that you can get the sound of an acoustic bass using a solid body, so if that is important, you need to factor it in. Also, acoustic basses are lighter than solid basses, so if you do long sets, or have shoulder/neck problems, they can help.

As commented by others, you will need an amp to accompany anything louder that a nylon-stringed guitar.

I bought a 5-string acoustic bass and I rarely picked up the solid bass after that - it produced the sound I was looking for.

David

On the recommendation fo a friend I got a Michael Kelly fretted Dragon fly 5 string acoustic bass recently and it sounds great. Like others have said it's not loud enough to use backing another instrument without amplification. Whilst I have only used it at home for ease of practice I do have some gigs coming up in the future that I plan to use it for.

When I went the acoustic bass route I tried out loads of them and found just one that could hold it's own unamplified, the Tacoma Thunderchief. The bad news is that Tacoma no longer exists so you'll have to try and find one second hand and very few owners seem to part with them.

By "holding its own" I usually play it in sessions or with morris teams so couple of squeexboxes, couple of fiddles, assorted other instruments. It struggles when the squeezebox count gets over four but can cope with any number of guitars, mandolins etc. I've never used it amplified.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1476044198' post='3150821']
I went with the 'stealth' approach to my local acoustic OM. Turned up with a Bass Uke and a MarkBass 801 and after a few weeks then ditched the Bass Uke and took along an Electric (but semi acoustic) Bass namely a Warwick Star Bass. Have now got an Ibanez Artcore Bass which does not upset the purists...!
Oh, and I stick Flatwounds on too.
[/quote]

This, I tried many an acoustic bass but didn't enjoy the gigs because I wasn't happy with the tone and basically, I didn't like playing with a deep acoustic body which I found very uncomfortable. When I wasn't using my EUB (option?), I then started taking my D'Angelico semi acoustic which looked the part, sounded great, felt comfortable and I started enjoying the gigs more.

OK I have taken in all you have said and decided on a hollow body. All three of my basses are P/J types and so I am looking at this http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Greg-Bennett-Royale-RLB-4-Bass-Guitar-Black/1BIZ

It looks like a Les Paul ( secret guitard coming out) and it's active so should be able to go straight into the desk (hopefully) . Comments? Remember the main reason is for Open Mic and quiet practice at home.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1476098706' post='3151178']
That is true. Acoustic they might be, but without an amp you won't hear it across a bar.

Nice gig though. Worth a watch. :)

My personal opinion is if you're going to have to plug in, then why fool yourself that it's playing acoustic?
[/quote]

Where do you draw the line though? Even classical soloists use piezos or microphones then go through the PA.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1476122947' post='3151557']
Where do you draw the line though? Even classical soloists use piezos or microphones then go through the PA.
[/quote]

NO!!!! That's disgusting!!! :o :D
You're right, of course. I guess the pros align the amplification of the bass along with the fact that there are mics on everything else. So why not amp up the bass?
But, where DO you draw the line?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1476123109' post='3151562']

NO!!!! That's disgusting!!! :o :D
You're right, of course. I guess the pros align the amplification of the bass along with the fact that there are mics on everything else. So why not amp up the bass?
But, where DO you draw the line?
[/quote]

Oh my line went ages ago, my upright has a mag pickup and a 900 watt amp with a 2x12 cab under it :D