Why become a member? ×

Acoustic basses

Chienmortbb

Agree with the unplugged sound of acoustic basses - pretty useless for any sort of band activity.
However, I do think they have a place when amplified. My Washburn AB20 does actually sound
'acoustic' when put into a small Bose PA with my duo. I use Elites bronzewound strings and they
do help make it sound less 'electric bass' too I think.
I also use a Countryman bass uke as well, for those 'uprighty' tones (runs for cover.................)

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1476134315' post='3151723']
I got a Faith Titan Neptune bass which sounds nice both unplugged at home and amped. A Feedback Buster soundhole plug keeps the feedback problems to a minimum.
[/quote]
If I could afford it I would have tried the Faith. Their 6 strings are some of the best on the market and although not cheap, way lower priced than the M**t*ns and T*yL*rs. Saying the my Washburn £200 job sounds and plays better than some overpriced orange boxes.

OK the [color=#434649][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][b]Greg Bennett Royale RLB-3 is ordered so look out for n NBD post soon.[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1476136077' post='3151744']

If I could afford it I would have tried the Faith. Their 6 strings are some of the best on the market and although not cheap, way lower priced than the M**t*ns and T*yL*rs. Saying the my Washburn £200 job sounds and plays better than some overpriced orange boxes.

OK the [color=#434649][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][b]Greg Bennett Royale RLB-3 is ordered so look out for n NBD post soon.[/b][/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

I know what you mean. Mine was on a deal at Andertons which basically knocked a third off the price... which, as you can imagine helped... a lot.

That semi looks like a cool little bass though. Will look forward to the NBD review.

I have to say thank you to everyone that commented. I feel comfortable with the semi acoustic, whereas I might have spent a lot on an acoustic. It comes tomorrow (Wednesday 12th October). I will try it on Thursday's Open Mic. I will be interested to see the reaction as they are all expecting me to come in with an acoustic.#excited

Just my tuppence worth.
I've got a Thornbory built by Nigel Thornbory who now runs a very successful strings business.
It has a lovely tone, can be played and heard with other acoustic guitars. I've added a K&K pick up system, and it now sounds fabulous plugged in....not like any electric bass I've played.
BUT its humongous solid top, huge composite bowl type back...nearly 6" deep at its deepest...nearly 17" across! But it sounds wonderful.

I have owned an EKO BA4 since 1981 ish (still using original strings). Used in small scale acoustic operations I have always felt it was not bad (nor great), it is big which helps. With a J bass pickup in the soundhole it was great for trad folk bands. A solid instrument but not the most finessed build quality (if thin finishes allow an instrument to breathe, this bass was suffocated at birth, it never got anywhere near oxygen).

I'm a little late to this one (and the boat has sailed for the OP's choice of purchase) but in defence of an acoustic bass I have to recommend mine - an Ortega KTSM-5

http://ortegaguitars.com/product-finder/acoustic-basses/acoustic-bass/show/Product/ktsm-5/ktsm-5/ (I love that one of it's features is that it's "electrified")

It was mainly motivated by wanting to find an acoustic 5 string for messing about with at home, where writing on practicing with band mates it better done at lower volumes, and obviously I picked the prettiest one (and I have no idea who Ken Taylor is or why he deserves a signature - it seems to largely be a prettier, more expensive version of their standard acoustic bass). Big, deep body so (as mentioned above) plenty loud, to the point that I have to hit the strings quite softly if my neighbours are in, and holds it own against acoustic guitars or electrics through a practice amp in my front room...but I haven't tried it in a busy pub. Also, the size makes it awkward to play standing up, not helped by it being quite neck heavy (in common with other acoustic basses I've tried) and the strap button being situated underneath the neck so the bass feels like it's trying to twist away from you.

Action's a bit higher than an electric too, but great for practicing technique - it soon lets you know when you're making a mess of things.

Not a lot of practical use, but excellent fun

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1476999391' post='3159230']
A Bajo Sexto is nothing like a guitarron. It has 12 strings and is more like an oversized guitar.
[/quote]

Very oversized in the case of the one my friend plays :) It's bigger than most acoustic bass guitars on the market which, of course, is the problem with most acoustic basses :P

• 1 month later...

Here's my experience. I work away from home Monday through Friday and I needed a bass to keep at the apartment to noodle on and learn new songs etc. Not wanting to spend a lot, I bought a nice black Harley Benton five string acoustic from Thomann (review here http://basschat.co.uk/topic/289575-harley-benton-5-string-acoustic-bass/).
For what it is and at the price point, its a very playable little instrument but it isn't going to keep up with a well strummed six string, but I can't put the bloody thing down. Its so much fun to just pick up and noodle away. I had a Stagg EUB that had the same affect, and both have been a stimulus to me improving my playing and my knowledge of the instrument (I'm a 30 year plus 'ear' player). So much fun in fact that today I've just picked up a Tanglewood four string acoustic to have around at home, and to use on our rare acoustic sessions albeit through the PA or my little TC 208 combo.
As Burrito says, acoustic basses definitely improve with a set of flats replacing the phosphor-bronze strings they are shipped with. Yes, a little quieter but much warmer and 'open' sound.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1480203459' post='3182556']
As Burrito says, acoustic basses definitely improve with a set of flats replacing the phosphor-bronze strings they are shipped with. Yes, a little quieter but much warmer and 'open' sound.
[/quote]

That's what I'm going to do next with my Ortega. First I was thinking about some Flats with low Tension, like Thomastik Jazz Flats, or Galli Flats, but now I guess, I'd go with some Black Nylon Tapewounds. GHS are the only, who offer a .125 Nylon Tapewound so I'll give them a Try. Indeed I the AB is very inspiring for me these Days. (+30 years 'Ear' Player too :P )