Why become a member? ×

East of England newbie

GirlOnADragon

Hey - hi.

So its too cold to play well and I refuse to turn the heating on yet so turning to some forum research. Bought first bass (Cort) over a decade ago but life got in the way and it was put to one side. Now life has changed direction I have picked up my 4 string Cort (inexpensive but am assured sounds nice and I love it - it will never go!), added a 5 string Ibenez SR305 to the family and am hovering over the purchase of an acoustic 4 string on sale locally. I don't play confidently yet but getting there, hunting for a gig setup and people to play with.

Its easier to say what I don't play than what I do in terms of music, have a strong fondness for prog and heavier rock but also like folk and with sufficient alcohol will listen to anything except jazz. Enjoy playing blues and indie as well.

Definitely know not enough about kit - hence why I'm researching - and also know very few other musicians.

Please be kind!

Hi and welcome from another East of Englander.

You have definitely come to the right place for doing your research - opinion and technical knowledge here aplenty. If you are looking for musicians, I have found all of my current and previous bandmates over the last couple of years on Join My Band - worth a look if you havent already.

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1476047035' post='3150864']
Hi and welcome from another East of Englander.

You have definitely come to the right place for doing your research - opinion and technical knowledge here aplenty. If you are looking for musicians, I have found all of my current and previous bandmates over the last couple of years on Join My Band - worth a look if you havent already.
[/quote]

Cheers - I'll take a look there, big part of it is me really not being at all sure of where to begin. All I know is that I won't play jazz and would rather be with people similar ages!

[quote name='baldwinbass' timestamp='1476087100' post='3151017']
Welcome, you've come to the right place
[/quote]

Cheers

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1476097469' post='3151154']
Hello! Welcome, from yet another East of Englander. :)
[/quote]

Ha - I spot a Norfolker, one closer to the border than I am!

Hey, welcome to BC.

As the others have said, "you're in the right place". In this place you won't get shouted down for silly questions. So feel free to ask anything. You're learning at a good time. There are loads of resources online.

Good ones are studybass.com and scottsbasslessons.com. Also there are many more on youtube.

The main thing to remember about learning any instrument is this, it's not a train ride. It's a journey: There is no arrival, there is only the journey. So learn to enjoy all the twists and turns and enjoy the highs. When in the lows, simply know you're not the first and won't be the last.

Enjoy it all and have fun.
(Hmm.. this is all a bit profound for me on a Monday evening.)

Again, welcome.

Thanks for the welcome - I'm certainly settled in for the ride. Opted to have lessons for now and those are giving a reasonable amount of structure but I do need to bite the bullet and get out more to play with others. Will check out your links.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1476122974' post='3151558']
Hey, welcome to BC.

As the others have said, "you're in the right place". In this place you won't get shouted down for silly questions. So feel free to ask anything. You're learning at a good time. There are loads of resources online.

Good ones are studybass.com and scottsbasslessons.com. Also there are many more on youtube.

The main thing to remember about learning any instrument is this, it's not a train ride. It's a journey: There is no arrival, there is only the journey. So learn to enjoy all the twists and turns and enjoy the highs. When in the lows, simply know you're not the first and won't be the last.

Enjoy it all and have fun.
(Hmm.. this is all a bit profound for me on a Monday evening.)

Again, welcome.
[/quote]