Why become a member? ×

What pickup to buy for double bass ?

Black Coffee

Ok. I have a son at university studying music and chosen instrument is double bass.

He has decided he needs a pickup but I'm at a complete loss as to what to buy, where to buy it, and how much this will/should cost me for something which will do justice to his playing and sound clear and worth the effort.

Can anyone help me please ?

Cheers.

The best choice will depend on what sort of setting he's playing in, whether it's going to include much arco playing and whether it's likely to be through backline or into the PA.
I also have one of the J-tone pickups linked above, and it gives a solid, even bass sound which works well into my amp and sits well with a forceful drummer. On the other hand, it's not the most natural of sounds in settings where you really want to reproduce the acoustic sound of the instrument and it's not fantastic with the bow. They're good value and I like it as much as a more expensive bridge-wing pickup that I used for a while, so it's just a case of figuring out if that's what you need.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1476055750' post='3150945']
This sounds much more expensive than the price tag would suggest, is an easy DIY fit and doesn't need to live on the bass 24/7, it also plays nicely with most amps without need for an impedance matching preamp.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-tone-Big-double-Bass-Pick-up-/201498506263
[/quote]
+1 for J tone pickups
They may be cheap but they are extremely good,I have one on my bass & am very happy with it.

[quote name='tinyd' timestamp='1476175029' post='3151901']
I'm seriously considering getting one of those J-Tone pickups but I can't find any sound clips anywhere - if anyone can point me to any sound clips or videos I'd be most grateful!

Cheers
[/quote]

I think there are some board recordings where I was using mine - I'll see if I can dig them out and send you a link later. It was a rough late-night performance at an event with free beer, so I've been a bit shy about posting them here...

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1476181404' post='3151971']
I think there are some board recordings where I was using mine - I'll see if I can dig them out and send you a link later. It was a rough late-night performance at an event with free beer, so I've been a bit shy about posting them here...
[/quote]

That would be great @Beer! Not to worry about the recording, I'm with @TPJ - my playing sounds rough without the the fun of beer and late nights :)

[quote name='tinyd' timestamp='1476186942' post='3152041']
That would be great @Beer! Not to worry about the recording, I'm with @TPJ - my playing sounds rough without the the fun of beer and late nights :)
[/quote]

Here you go then; [url="https://thechaosquartet.bandcamp.com/track/caravan"]https://thechaosquartet.bandcamp.com/track/caravan[/url]
This was recorded with the pickup running straight into my GK MB200 and using the pre-EQ DI output to the board. It sounds a little darker on this recording than it usually does in the flesh, but that should give you some idea. IMO it has kind of a compressed character and doesn't get the full acoustic character of the bass, but that's common to a lot of bridge-mounted pickups.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1476193422' post='3152156']
Here you go then; [url="https://thechaosquartet.bandcamp.com/track/caravan"]https://thechaosquar...m/track/caravan[/url]
This was recorded with the pickup running straight into my GK MB200 and using the pre-EQ DI output to the board. It sounds a little darker on this recording than it usually does in the flesh, but that should give you some idea. IMO it has kind of a compressed character and doesn't get the full acoustic character of the bass, but that's common to a lot of bridge-mounted pickups.
[/quote]

Thanks very much for posting that - nice playing! The pickup sounds pretty good as well - like you say, a bit "artificial" and compressed, but to be honest I'm struggling with my more natural sounding Revolution Solo pickup. When adjusted it can sound great, but live it's ridiculously sensitive to movement and having something a bit more even is what I'm looking for. Thanks again for taking the time to send that on.

[quote name='tinyd' timestamp='1476195443' post='3152180']
Thanks very much for posting that - nice playing! The pickup sounds pretty good as well - like you say, a bit "artificial" and compressed, but to be honest I'm struggling with my more natural sounding Revolution Solo pickup. When adjusted it can sound great, but live it's ridiculously sensitive to movement and having something a bit more even is what I'm looking for. Thanks again for taking the time to send that on.
[/quote]

I had a Revolution Solo for a few years, so I've been able to compare the two on the same bass. It was a bit more open in the high end than the J-tone, but for some reason I could never get it evenly balanced across all four strings and it could come across as a touch harsh and scratchy on my bass (even running into a preamp). The J-tone has more thickness to the sound, is more forgiving with fitting and positioning and the "plug it in and it works" convenience of it is nice. I'm thinking of moving back to my AKG C411 contact mic for jazzier gigs as it gets a bit more of a woody tone, but I'll certainly hang on to the J-tone.

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1476195114' post='3152177']I use a Realist, which is very natural sounding, both plucked and bowed. Love it!
[/quote]
I'm another Realist convert... although I wish I'd tried the J-Tone everyone is raving about. The Realist is great but was quite expensive when I consider how little I mic my bass.

Big double Bass Pick up[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1476195923' post='3152182']
I had a Revolution Solo for a few years, so I've been able to compare the two on the same bass. It was a bit more open in the high end than the J-tone, but for some reason I could never get it evenly balanced across all four strings and it could come across as a touch harsh and scratchy on my bass (even running into a preamp). The J-tone has more thickness to the sound, is more forgiving with fitting and positioning and the "plug it in and it works" convenience of it is nice. I'm thinking of moving back to my AKG C411 contact mic for jazzier gigs as it gets a bit more of a woody tone, but I'll certainly hang on to the J-tone.
[/quote]

That's useful to know. I have the same 'balance' problem with the Rev Solo as well. One last question - is the J-Tone that you have the same model as posted above? (i.e. the "Big double Bass Pick up")?

Thanks again

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1476203284' post='3152294']
Yes, that's the one. I've seen more mixed reports about the other model with the red and green sides.
[/quote]
Thanks @Beer - I'm going to order one and see how it works out for me.

Cheers

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1476196645' post='3152188']
I've found the Band pickup from Headway to be really good and simple to use. It is especially good for me since my bass doesn't have good bridge wing slots (the pointy ones instead of flat, slot ones)
[/quote]

I also have the pointy bridge but I bought a J-Tone single paddle and I managed to get it in and have a good pressure. I couldn't get it on the G side so I sanded a bit, with it being a point I took off too much so it has to be on the E side now.

I gigged with it yesterday and it sounded pretty good. Not incredible but definitely passable, and definitely worth the £30 I paid for it!!

Just a quick update - my J-tone arrived today and I gave it a quick go at home. I'm really pleased with it so far. Nice even sound, loud, not too much of that nasty piezo mid-range 'bark' and not fussy about exactly how it's placed in the slot. As @Beer described above, it has a slightly artificial tone but to be honest in a gigging situation this isn't an issue. I'm really looking forward to the next rehearsal / gig so I can see how it stands up. What I really like about the even-ness of the sound is that it works well up the fingerboard and in thumb position, whereas other pickups I've tried were very patchy in this regard. For it's £30 a complete bargain to be honest.

Thanks @Beer and others for the recommendation!

That sounds very encouraging and hope it works well live. In my experience mid-range honk from piezos is often exaggerated. It can always be taken down with some mid reduction, that's when you hear it at home. But you might find that on a gig you need that mid back again and surprisingly you don't notice the honk. Funny that.

The J Tone seems like a winner, especially now the Underwood seems to be difficult if not impossible to find these days.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1476978900' post='3158969']
That sounds very encouraging and hope it works well live. In my experience mid-range honk from piezos is often exaggerated. It can always be taken down with some mid reduction, that's when you hear it at home. But you might find that on a gig you need that mid back again and surprisingly you don't notice the honk. Funny that.

The J Tone seems like a winner, especially now the Underwood seems to be difficult if not impossible to find these days.
[/quote]
Yep, I think it'll be good live - it would always be nice to have a true "my bass, but louder" tone but I suspect that achieving that would take considerably more money and hassle than I'm prepared to throw at the problem. Maybe if Brad Mehldau ever goes deaf and accidentally invites me on tour with him I'll be able to justify it :) But for now, I think that a solid working sound is going to make me happy.

Remember, all those great bass sounds that you hear and strive to emulate have come to you from the studio, either live or recorded, via some high end equipment and in good acoustics. Getting your sound out in a live situation involves a whole load of compromises, not least the way you get your instrument to cut through the sounds put out by the other instruments. Drums and keys will provide the biggest challenges and you will find yourself using more mids than you might normally prefer.

Get a sound that works and above all enjoy your music. MBOL is seldom achieved on the stage.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update for anyone who's considering one of the J-Tone pickups - I used it at a full band rehearsal last night and really liked it. Nice even, predictable sound which is just what I'm looking for. I'd recommend them to anyone - even if you're pretty happy with your existing setup it would be a good backup and what would probably work really well would be to blend its output with another pickup or mic.