Why become a member? ×

Help identify this "Thompson" bass

Thomas P

Hi guys.
Any of you ever heard of the brand Thompson? And I'm
thinking og Carl Thompson.
It's a 5 string Kenn Smith look-a-like neck through design
with two large soapbars and a diamond layout of the 4 pots.
Not sure I can upload a photo to this thread but I've added
a link to the ad.
Bass came up for sale yesterday locally in Denmark, for around
500 £.
I'll cost me close to 90 £ in petrol and bridge to go and try it out
hence asking here first as seller refers to it as having been brought
from UK to Denmark.
All the best
Thomas
http://www.dba.dk/elbas-andet-maerke-thompson/id-1028137125/?IsPrivate=False&PostId=f67af4f1-a676-4ca4-b840-842de436b4d1

I may well be wrong but to my eye it looks like one of those 'far-east' budget basses. Given the very little information available it is very unlikely I would sink nearly £600 on it. As I say, I could be wrong, but instead for that kinda money you can buy something that you know will be awesome. I really don't think that is a £500 bass, not close. Sorry.

Hi dood.
I'm 100℅ with you on this one, just thought I'd ask.
If you notice,the bridge seems too far to the rear as they
have had to adjust it so the string guides (or whatever they are called)
is at their outmost position towards the rear PU.
And secondly, 4 pots but no cavity for them with access from the rear?
I currently own two Mike Lull M5V's and have had numerous other nice basses
so like you, my immediate impression is also of a "far east creation"
The name stamping looks like what you find on cheap chinese electronic as well.
But then again, some may have known it as great value for the money.
Brgds
Thomas

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1476130548' post='3151661']
There's a guy in Ireland - think his name is Tony Thompson? Builds basses. Model names include Quadra (4 string) and Quinta (5 string)
[/quote]

That was my thought.

Here's a Quadra for sale in Wicklow, Ireland:
[url="http://www.adverts.ie/electric-basses/thompson-custom-quadra-bass/9020148"]http://www.adverts.ie/electric-basses/thompson-custom-quadra-bass/9020148[/url]

Check out the decal on the add. Doesn't look similar.
Can't find a website, according to the seller he's no longer building basses.

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1476205560' post='3152326']
Am I crazy or doesn't that bass have a control cavity?
[/quote]

You appear to be correct and I can't believe I didnt spot that before lol!
God only knows is the answer to the inevitable question...

I am going to have a dig through a load of wallets of photos from back in the late eighties and see if I have any photos but, I owned an Adam Thompson fretless that I am certain carried exactly the same Thompson logo and had the same little cover at the heel of the neck, from memory he was a local (Northamptonshire) bass builder with a good reputation that built a few instruments, the only thing I can remember for certain about mine was that it was too big to fit in any bass cases or gig bags.....that would suggest something of a Thunderbird type body.....anyway the lack of any way to transport it was the reason it was soon traded on

I have Googled the name but nothing is coming up, I do still see the guy that used to own the shop I brought it from, next time I see him I will see if he remembers anything

• 3 months later...

Wooden cavity cover, wooden battery compartment cover and wooden truss rod access would say 'hand made with care taken' to me. Bridge placement could be a factor of bridge pickup placement, bridge saddle position is a function of string type and gauge so I wouldn't read too much into either of those. And it's a Schaller roller bridge (and I think Schaller M4 tuners - the screw tab coming out of the bottom instead of the side is a giveaway) which are excellent quality.

I think I've seen that Thompson make before, and not very long ago... Though it was on Bassist Ireland on Facebook but can't find it now...

I think this is a quality one-off build myself. just has the misfortune of looking like a load of knockoff Chinese imports and will probably sell cheap as a result.

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1486022876' post='3228509']
Wooden cavity cover, wooden battery compartment cover and wooden truss rod access would say 'hand made with care taken' to me. Bridge placement could be a factor of bridge pickup placement, bridge saddle position is a function of string type and gauge so I wouldn't read too much into either of those. And it's a Schaller roller bridge (and I think Schaller M4 tuners - the screw tab coming out of the bottom instead of the side is a giveaway) which are excellent quality.

I think I've seen that Thompson make before, and not very long ago... Though it was on Bassist Ireland on Facebook but can't find it now...

I think this is a quality one-off build myself. just has the misfortune of looking like a load of knockoff Chinese imports and will probably sell cheap as a result.
[/quote]

I'd go with that too. Definitely worth a look imo.