Why become a member? ×

Headphones good for practice - what do you use?

Telebass

Thought this might be good as a list of what works. Obviously dependent on what you're listening/playing through to some extent, as well as personal preference, but these have worked for me.

For years I've used these with Tascam CD-BT1 MkII or MP-BT1 trainers. These are the only devices I've ever used, so can't comment on other devices.

[b]Sennheiser[/b] HD 202 or 212

[b]Skullcandy[/b] Hesh 2 - with care for level.

[b]Bose[/b] original OE, surprisingly.

List away!

:D

Do you want a noise cancelling phone or an open back that leaks sound a little.?

I think by far the best I've used are the Beyer Dynamic dt990 pro open back phones. I find the 770,s close back design make the bass a bit boomy as there bass heavy anyways, great for sound cancelling in a studio, industry standard monitors since the 80,s and are pretry amazing sounding. I will probably never use another headphone other than the 990,s they are just superb. Whatever you do, don't buy Beats by DR Dre. They are over priced fashion headphones, nothing to do with studio/instrument monitoring etc. Skull candy also for me are not great.Haven't tried the Audio Techs but I've heard they are really great.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1476197106' post='3152197']
Audio Technica ATH-M50's for me.

First saw them on the Snarky Puppy live recording videos and thought if they're good enough for those guys they're good enough for me.
Use them with a Peavy practice amp, works perfectly at any volume!
[/quote]

That's what I use, I quite like them.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1476198695' post='3152211']
Only used PJB 850-H
[/quote]

I had a pair which was ok but I never loved them. It started dropping the sound on one side (it wasn't the cable) and got rid off them and now I use Audio Technica ATH-M50 which I feel are a lot better.

I use Sennheiser 600s with my Zoom B3 (the latter acting as a USB soundcard with an iMac) for practice - great.

A simple but effective 600 hack is to replace the supplied cable with the equivalent part from the 650, which is thicker/more robust and sounds better. And not for the faint of heart, but I removed the internal foam from my 600s some time ago and found the mid and low clarity improved.

I agree with bubinga5 re. the Beyer DT990 Pros: another very good set of open-backed cans with a warmer sound than the 600s. I've had mine over 20 years, although thanks to Beyer's spares availability I don't think any part, except possibly the headband, is now original.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1476257500' post='3152673']

I had a pair which was ok but I never loved them. It started dropping the sound on one side (it wasn't the cable) and got rid off them and now I use Audio Technica ATH-M50 which I feel are a lot better.
[/quote] that is the reason i never imparted any comments. Mine work great and sound great, but I am comparing them against cheap hifi stuff, so I have no idea how they sound against others. They could be crap for all I know ☺

Sennheiser cx300II. Usually I'd go for the old faithful Fostex T10s, but they don't play too well with the headphone output on my DHA VT pedal which i use for my practice sessions. It's an older one ( in the big old box), so this might have been addressed in the newer models.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1476279430' post='3152970']
that is the reason i never imparted any comments. Mine work great and sound great, but I am comparing them against cheap hifi stuff, so I have no idea how they sound against others. They could be crap for all I know ☺
[/quote]

I wouldn't say they're crap either ;) I liked them enough to buy them in the first place. But then I found I like the M50 better. They seem better built too.

Regarding the DT770, I tried their anniversary edition which has a different impedance I think. They were terrible! The sound was sterile, bass starved and sounded far away. Not at all like the 80 Ohms are described. I got the Sennheiser HD 25-1 next so I never tried another DT770.