Why become a member? ×

Cabinet wheels

stevie

I'm in the middle of building a 15" cabinet about the size of the Ashdown ABM or Trace 1153 and am looking for some pointers on wheels. I have a set of 3" rubber wheels on my Ashdown Mini 15 and they work quite well, but I'm unsure of whether they will be right for this larger cab.

So I'm thinking either 4 x 4" castors (probably a bit big) or those recessed castors that fit into the bottom edge of the cab allowing you to tilt and roll. A top handle is in place that would allow for this. http://www.penn-elcom.com/default.asp?MC=01120801&LG=ENG&title=corner-castors
What are your experience with those - positive or negative?

Or would I be better off with my aluminium trolley?

3 inch might be better as cracks in pavements etc, won't be noticed as much but you might have to raise the front of the cab a bit so that it's level. Another option is 4 wheels on the bottom of the cab and turn it on its side when in use it then becomes a high dolly and you can wheel loads of gear in at once.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1476291212' post='3153120']
3 inch might be better as cracks in pavements etc, won't be noticed as much but you might have to raise the front of the cab a bit so that it's level. Another option is 4 wheels on the bottom of the cab and turn it on its side when in use it then becomes a high dolly and you can wheel loads of gear in at once.
[/quote]

OK. I think I get that. So with 3-inch inset wheels on the back, the cab would not be level. Would larger rubber feet on the front fix that, or not?

The cab design is vertical and won't work properly on it's side. 4 wheels on the bottom should be OK in my limited experience, but it might be a bit top-heavy when moving it.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1476297331' post='3153194']
OK. I think I get that. So with 3-inch inset wheels on the back, the cab would not be level. Would larger rubber feet on the front fix that, or not?

The cab design is vertical and won't work properly on it's side. 4 wheels on the bottom should be OK in my limited experience, but it might be a bit top-heavy when moving it.
[/quote]

Yes... AS in my Barefaced... Or you could could wedge off the back of your cab so the wheels are level - this is how most of the 6x10/8x10's do it...

Edited by markstuk

Yes, kerbs and stairs are probably the big problem for dolly boards, although I've never used one myself. My trolley is a sack barrow type. I want to avoid cutting holes in my cab for rear castors, or spending money on a dolly board for that matter, when a separate trolley (which I already own) is the best solution anyway.

I think I'll give the trolley a go first. Unless someone has a convincing argument in favour of another solution. Thanks for the input!

Many years ago we nicked, sorry borrowed, an excellent dolly from The Target in Reading, anyone else ever played there? We transported the dolly all over the UK and because of kerbs, steps, stairs etc., never used it once. The only place we were able to use it was at The Target, so we returned it to them with thanks.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1476461662' post='3154592']
Yes, kerbs and stairs are probably the big problem for dolly boards, although I've never used one myself. My trolley is a sack barrow type. I want to avoid cutting holes in my cab for rear castors, or spending money on a dolly board for that matter, when a separate trolley (which I already own) is the best solution anyway.

I think I'll give the trolley a go first. Unless someone has a convincing argument in favour of another solution. Thanks for the input!
[/quote]

Sack trolley with big wheels works for me when stairs/gravel/grass are involved.. Mine is identical to this, but only cost me about £30 ... http://www.sacktrucksdirect.co.uk/300kg-solid-toe-sack-truck.html

Edited by markstuk