Why become a member? ×

Gibson ES175.

Bilbo

I don't care. I want one. It's a long held dream. End of. Don't be getting all rational on me!

And, while I am at it :-D, I keep reading on here about how great a 1957 Fender Jazz is or how great Wals are etc. Why does 'improved' technology have to mean that the technology that has gone before has to be dispensed with? Vinyl vs. downloads? I want my Ovation Custom Legend. You young upstarts can kep your 'advances'.

I don't disagree at all. I just like Ovations. When I was 17, I used to roadie for a Prog band called Multi Story and the singer, Paul Ford, had two, a twelve string and an Adamas 6. I spent a lot of time with these two guitars and loved them so have always wanted one. I had an Adamas myself a while back but swapped it for a rig on here because I needed something decent for double bass gigs. I have missed it ever since. I have played quite a few good acoustics; Taylor, Takamine etc but keep coming back to the Ovations. It's OK. I am allowed ;)

As an aside, Pete, I think Ovations came into their own in a live situation in the 70s as they nailed the feedback issue once and for all. It certainly opened up acoustic guitar for Rock bands in a way that other mic/pick up set ups couldn't.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1486493472' post='3232284']
As an aside, Pete, I think Ovations came into their own in a live situation in the 70s as they nailed the feedback issue once and for all. It certainly opened up acoustic guitar for Rock bands in a way that other mic/pick up set ups couldn't.
[/quote]

Yes, there's no doubt about that at all. They were the thing to have at the time for that situation. You'd even find someone like Gordon Giltrap using Ovations live but always recording with his Fylde acoustics.

I think that is an area where modern advances have made an impact - I have a £450 Seagull with built-in electronics which can be amplified to 'f loud' without causing feedback, and it even sounds like a quality instrument.

Anyway, when you get one you're welcome to come round so we can compare it with my '70s Fylde and re-live all those arguments again :-)

• 3 weeks later...