Why become a member? ×

Low string just doesn't cut the mustard!

Dudley Powell

Hi all,

Been having a lot of trouble trying to get my low string to cut through and have as much presence as the equivalent notes on other strings. It's quite noticeable at band practice and on stage, and its starting to really bother me!

For this project, I use a MIJ P-bass tuned down to C, using GHS Bass Boomers 50-115, and I'm wondering if its these particular strings? It's the only set I've ever used after having this bass for a couple of months. I've tried slightly adjusting the action on the lower string, but for the most part the bass is set up perfectly and feels great. Could it be pickup height? I'm so confused!

Thanks.

Pickup height and string gauge would be the 2 things I'd look at. My last rock/metal band I was tuned to D with a 110 gauge set of Elites on a P-bass and I wouldn't want it any looser so maybe thicker gauge strings for a start. You're only a semitone away from the B of a 5 string after all, and they're mostly .125-.130 gauge.

I'm guessing theres not enough tension in your string if you are using an E string detuned to C.

Try a higher tension set of strings - maybe something like DR Low Riders, a 5 string set (45-125), but as you are detuning the whole lot, use the 65, 85, 105 and 125 and not bother with the 45.

Should you not be detuning the whole lot (I'm not sure what you are doing tuning wise - are you just dropping the E string or the whole lot?) and just the lowest string, then just replace what you have for a B string and go from there (although you can't get separate DRs off the shelf).

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1476354845' post='3153529']
I'm guessing theres not enough tension in your string if you are using an E string detuned to C.

Try a higher tension set of strings - maybe something like DR Low Riders, a 5 string set (45-125), but as you are detuning the whole lot, use the 65, 85, 105 and 125 and not bother with the 45.

Should you not be detuning the whole lot (I'm not sure what you are doing tuning wise - are you just dropping the E string or the whole lot?) and just the lowest string, then just replace what you have for a B string and go from there (although you can't get separate DRs off the shelf).
[/quote]

I'm happy with the tension and sound of the 3 higher strings, so I'd really like to up the low string to a 120, but I'm not sure the standard nut on the P bass can handle that, may have to file the nut?

I'm also gonna try slightly adjusting the pickup height for the meanwhile.

I'd not do a drop tuning on a "standard" E string down below D, even then you're going to have lower ultimate volume from the E string detuned to D, as you would with the E string at its normal pitch. There's something physically preventing it, I'm not 100% sure but I think the thicker the string, the more space it physically needs to move around to produce an equivalent volume. Also, I bet that although of course all the strings produce overtones etc, your pickups and amp are possibly rolling off the really low frequencies so won't help the situation either.

If its just that one string causing issues, then a thicker gauge would help but the problem is you're commiting yourself down a one-way street once you start altering the nut to cope with the thicker string (well, you could replace the nut...etc).

If its low notes in general, then a multi-band graphic EQ or parametric EQ pedal could be very useful.

May I ask why you specifically need to go down that far? It sounds like you ideally need a 5 string bass. I play a bunch of orchestral stuff, the other guy playing bass (a double bass) doesn't have the facility to detune to low C but plenty of orchestras have some/all double basses which can go down to C (either with an extension or a 5 string double bass). On one piece I'm using drop-D tuning and on any others, I'd simply adapt the bass line to not play below E (or use drop D tuning again if its worth it and fits in with the rest of the piece etc).

Also bear in mind that basses (moreso than guitars) have a lot of tension created by the strings and alterations to string tension, tuning, string gauge etc may need a truss rod adjustment (just a tweak).

[quote name='leroybass' timestamp='1476872605' post='3157909']
you could try using spacers on the e string behind the bridge, so if you put a few washers on the string and then string it through the bridge, you will lengthen the scale of your bass without effecting the tuning, it might help
[/quote]
Im not sure I follow - the scale length of a bass is the nut to the break point on the saddle (compensated by the string width). What you are suggesting doesn't impact scale in any way?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1476873511' post='3157915']
Im not sure I follow - the scale length of a bass is the nut to the break point on the saddle (compensated by the string width). What you are suggesting doesn't impact scale in any way?
[/quote]

It might solve the old "Silk on the saddle" issue some old fashioned Gibson style bridges - see pics:
[url="http://www.chubbuckguitars.com/blog/2013/04/03/1969-gibson-eb-1-saddle-up-on-silk"]http://www.chubbuckguitars.com/blog/2013/04/03/1969-gibson-eb-1-saddle-up-on-silk[/url]

But it can't change the scale length. That can only be changed by moving the frets or fitting a longer neck with appropriately compensated frets (or move the bridge!).

As others have said, you are de-tuning an E string a long way. Can you try a B string, perhaps from a lighter gauge set?
If your E string is the only one de-tuned, and the other strings are normal tuning / tension, then it's only reasonable to expect the other strings to be louder. Try a combination of B string, and increased pickup height - though I've heard some argue that a pickup can cause a damping effect if too close to strings - i.e. its magnetic force on the string, being increased prevents the string from moving correctly / fully. I'm not sure just how much of an effect this will have...

Also, though I've not tried one myself, there is a device called a "Fat Finger" sustainer. Anyone on here tried one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fat-Finger-Guitar-Chrome-Sustain-Headstock-Tool-099-2180-100-FFFSEG-/182147880099?hash=item2a68dc14a3:g:rzAAAOSwagdXRrsI

Edited by Marc S