Why become a member? ×

Am I just weird or are my ears wrong?

redbandit599

Hi all

Now - I know that the received wisdom is that dirt and fuzz should go between bass and amp, and if you use your amps effects loop then it's usually for modulation type stuff.

But, try as I might - I just think that my dirt pedals sound much better in the loop of my EBS HD350.

I have the loop set to parallel so it maintains a 50% clean mix at all times and it just sounds more of a complete sound to me. Just has bit more quality to it than when the drives are in front.

I'm running a Tech 21 VT and a Cog Tarkin in there at the moment (along with a TC Corona, a Boss EQ, a Mooer Tender Octaver, a Digitech BSW and a basic switch to bypass the lot.)

The difference between signal strength doesn't seem to have any impact on any of my pedals - and they are all silent and powered from one Onespot and a daisy chain.

Obviously, all good and I buy the 'if it sounds good to you, then it is good' approach - but I just wonder if I'm listening wrong as I seem to have a lot of bad practice in there! :blush:

Am I the only one!?

Cheers!

Jason

Edited by redbandit599

I think when it comes to music there are no shoulds or shouldn'ts. You only have your own ears to hear what you are playing. No use in setting things up from someone elses ears if you hate the tone.

I do not like Fender basses. Some might say I'm wrong but I prefer a more modern style of bass and don't like to get stuck in tradition.

We all have our own tastes and no-one can say we are wrong to have those tastes. Stick with the placement of your dirt that you like.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1476427481' post='3154120']
Some fuzzes can cause problems in the loop. There was a thread on thefretboard by some amp builders as to why. Something about causing output transformer modulation and instability.

I'll see if I can find it.
[/quote]

Unless there is something before the effects loop that filters out whatever nasties are being produced by the Fuzz, I can't see why this would be the case.

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1476371322' post='3153740']
Hi all

Now - I know that the received wisdom is that dirt and fuzz should go between bass and amp, and if you use your amps effects loop then it's usually for modulation type stuff.

But, try as I might - I just think that my dirt pedals sound much better in the loop of my EBS HD350.

I have the loop set to parallel so it maintains a 50% clean mix at all times and it just sounds more of a complete sound to me. Just has bit more quality to it than when the drives are in front.

I'm running a Tech 21 VT and a Cog Tarkin in there at the moment (along with a TC Corona, a Boss EQ, a Mooer Tender Octaver, a Digitech BSW and a basic switch to bypass the lot.)

The difference between signal strength doesn't seem to have any impact on any of my pedals - and they are all silent and powered from one Onespot and a daisy chain.

Obviously, all good and I buy the 'if it sounds good to you, then it is good' approach - but I just wonder if I'm listening wrong as I seem to have a lot of bad practice in there! :blush:

Am I the only one!?

Cheers!

Jason
[/quote]

Makes sense to me that the loop with a 50% mix might sound better than pedals before the input. Loss of low end etc etc...
Unless you are using a 'fuzzface' type pedal that relies on a highish impedance (ie passive pickup) source for its sound.

As for the output transformer possible issue mentioned - does the EBS HD350 (sorry don't know the amp) have transformer(s) and I don't see the issue even if it does (am prepared to be corrected) ???

Bass Regards....

Hi - sorry don't know how to do the quote thing 😳 But yes the 50% mix is key and seems somehow better than a blend on the pedals themselves.
Yes, the amp has transformers, it's not class D.

Also, I like the sound I get from the pre. I can get a good tone without effects, just need to drop a few bits in every know and then for certain songs. I'm an effects off most of the time guy, but I like them and use them to have a bit of fun and variation

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1476651187' post='3156055']

Yes, the amp has transformers, it's not class D.

[/quote]

I meant does it have audio transformer/s in the signal path ? As opposed to the normal mains power transformer. I think the transformer issue prob a red herring any way ???