Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SCR-DI or Darkglass Vintage Ultra?

nash

I have the SCR-DI and I'm not really a huge fan of it tbh, maybe I'm not totally sold on the ampeg tone from it.
It has a few issues for me, like if you are running it off batteries (it eats them btw) once they get low it starts to only put out a feedback noise.

Before this I had the Aguilar tonehammer as a Di, and looking back in hindsight I much prefered it.
The Darkglass gear is normally very good, I do run the vintage microtubes by them. Haven't tried the DI but would think it's nice, nearly double the price of the SCR-DI as far as I can see.
Might not help much but those are my thoughts.

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1476776989' post='3157056']
Nice solid clean and a fairly dirty vintage dirt.

TBH I'll probably get the ultra this year coming up.
[/quote]

I'd say that is your best bet. I put the vintage microtubes infront of the SCR when I'm looking for extra harmonics, breakup or dirt.

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1476776989' post='3157056']
Nice solid clean and a fairly dirty vintage dirt.

TBH I'll probably get the ultra this year coming up.
[/quote]

It will certainly give you a lot more than the Ampeg. The EQ section is superb, and the pedal is much more flexible that its more metallic B7K brother. Costs a good chunk more, but the Darkglass gear is worth it.

A/B if you can... not sure who stocks both... Bass Direct - DG certainly but not sure about the Ampeg. Or try Andertons if you're down south.

I say this because part of the Ampeg sound is 'heft' and whilst I agree about the musical overdrive and flexibility of the VU, it didn't have the same heft as the cab sim'ed Le Bass I tried.

So try them out... Andertons also now have the Tech 21 Bass Fly Rig which might also do the job for you with some additional bells n whistles... see the thread on this for a link if interested.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought the Ampeg SCR-DI for the following reasons:[list]
[*]Wanted a backup for a gig to the backline
[*]Wanted a simple rehearsal set up
[*]Wanted battery power option
[*]Wanted a robust
[*]Would like headphone out
[*]Would like AUX in
[/list]
The SCR-DI ticked these boxes for me, I was tempted by the LeBass - but I don't really need the distortion - in a gig situation I will have my full pedalboard (with Source Audio MWBD). I really wanted battery power as an option, so the Eden WTDI and many others was out - even though the prices of the Eden (£75) almost made it. I thought the EBS looked and sounded good but nearly £100 more than the SCR-DI. Was tempted by MXR Bass Pre Amp but too limited in functionality.

I have had a quick play through it and it will suit me, I won't go to the extremes of the Drive setting. Some of the tones out of it are fine. As I usually have a Carvin BX with much more EQ control, it will be fine.

But it will go in a pocket in the gig bag for tonight's rehearsal with a XLR cable and into the desk.