Why become a member? ×

Anyone from Manchester?

AndrewJordan

I've been to Manchester a couple of times before for gigs but just quick in and out trips and not had a look around. So, gonna spend this weekend in the city and would be grateful for any info on things to do.

Particularly interested in vintage/used bass/guitar/amp shops. Vinyl record shops. Small venues/music pubs likely to have bands playing Alt Rock/grunge/stoner/heavy type bands.

Cheers!

Johnny Roadhouse is the only really interesting place for 2nd hand instruments.

Most of the other fun stuff (music bars, vinyl &c) is in the Northern Quarter. Affleck's Palace is more or less a time machine of vintage stalls - including one place which does sell a few guitars and other instruments, fun to look at, but not at bargain prices.

Check the listings at Band on the Wall (decades-old Manc venue) and Ruby Lounge (might be more your type of music).

It's a good city these days, enjoy!

All of the above really. I don't live in Manchester but I spend a lot of time here for work (in fact I'm here now for the night). The Castle Hotel in Ancoats / Northern Quarter is a great pub / venue. Worth a visit just for a pint but if there's a band playing it's definitely worth looking in. I've seen some really good shows here, also The Band on the Wall round the corner is good. Just across the road is Eastern Bloc records who do wonderful coffee. It's an amazing place, no other city I know has such a great vibe.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

Johnny Roadhouse have a bunch of used stuff. Very little is really high end, but there is usually something weird/interesting worth a look.
If you have any interest in acoustic instruments, Forsyths on Deansgate is also worth a look. They usually have a few interesting (electric) basses too. In both cases, the guys that work there are unusually sound for music store folk.
There is also a big-ish Dawsons on Portland St, which has a good selection of the usual suspects. Staff are less excellent and there is no used gear AFAIK.

Been a while since I was in either of them, but both Piccadilly Records and Vinyl Exchange (both Northern quarter) should be worth a visit.

Edited by samhay

There's a shop on high street called entertainment trader. They sometimes have good bits in.

I used to work at Dawsons and left in 2014. I'm lead to believe that it's really fell off the map - no second hand, no servicing. It's all the stuff that was being forced out as I was leaving (all the stuff I was staying for) but a few of the guys (Andy and Elliot) are well worth saying hello to - the bass wall was a third of the size it was when I was there the last time I visited.

Johnny Roadhouse is sometimes ok, but generally speaking it's overpriced knackered crap. I bought a jaydee there for too much once and it's left a bitter taste.

There's a PMT near the centre, that's where I'd go.

If you're driving contact drew at the great British bass lounge as he's great, a good guy all round.

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1476395801' post='3154038']
Ruby Lounge, The Castle, Star and Garter for venues.
Northern Quarter for drinks.
[/quote]

+1 on Northern Quarter for drinks. Especially Port Street Beer House, Marble Beers, Terrace, Hold Fast and Montpellier's.

Venues I'd check out "Matt and Phred's", "Band on the Wall" and "Night and Day" usually some good stuff going on.

[quote name='ribbetingfrog' timestamp='1476466213' post='3154643']
cash generator in town are on e of the few that prices their instruments keenly, you never know what is in.
[/quote]

The one near Shudehill? Always found it a bit on the pricey side for secondhand stuff tbh. Seen secondhand amps in gigged condition for about £30 less than the retail value. That said I haven't been in there for a while so could be different now. You can find some cool stuff in there on some occasions.