Why become a member? ×

A favour

tayste_2000

Hi guys,

So I've been playing Double Bass now since Happyjack forced one into my grubby mitts a few years ago. I did my first studio session on it yesterday (paid and everything) so it's feeling like I need to give it more care and attention (especially since I'm doing 30+ gigs a year on it).

Basically I've been avoiding buying anything for it, I have a Shadow pickup crudely fitted to the bridge, not sure it's even working correctly, I've been running this into my iPad rig for over a year and it's .... meh..... passable

So I was wondering, since quite a few of you know me ;) and this is all Happyjack's fault anyway, is would anyone be willing to lend me a double bass preamp? I'll happily pay postage costs etc.

...and yes I know I should have come to the Bass Bass in Derby and I could have tried out everything but this is the problem I have, I play double bass and I don't drive.

I just don't know if I should get a new pickup, preamp, mic, mic clamp, db amp (it sounds awful into my Ampeg b100r) but I'm constantly trying to keep it as minimal as possible.

So there it is, I fall on your good graces :D

Oh alright Steve, I can take a hint.

Do you want to borrow my Fishman Platinum Pro?

It's the older model, i.e. about five years old, so the styling isn't quite as Space Age as the latest version, but it's pretty much the benchmark (IMHO) for DB pre-amps.

If nothing else, it will certainly reveal to you very quickly whether or not your bass/rig could sound better ...

• 2 months later...