Why become a member? ×

Sting.

bubinga5

I think this is such an amazingly well put together peice of music. The album that it comes from is also superb. I love early Police like Sycronicity 2. Really fantastic music. But Ten Summoners Tales is just one of the greatest albums. Like him or not, his music is really good. Imo

http://youtu.be/pG7_gceIFL4

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1476567776' post='3155350']
Like him or not, his music is really good.

http://youtu.be/pG7_gceIFL4
[/quote]

That's it in a nutshell.

As long as he is not acting or talking about world conservation issues ( a joke when he owns so much property round the world - one property should suffice), but playing/writing his music, this is where he excels. I still think every breathe is possibly the perfect pop song

Edited by gareth

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1476574087' post='3155403']

As long as he is not acting or talking about world conservation issues ( a joke when he owns so much property round the world - one property should suffice),
[/quote]

He can have as many houses as he likes, surely? He probably employs a load of people to look after 'em, too.

The Police, one of the best live bands I have ever seen. Saw them at the old Mayfair in Newcastle, not long after the first album came out, they were pretty much un known. Blew me away. No modern technology, no in ear monitors, no backing tracks. Just three good musicians with great songs playing off one another. Great harmonies, lots of jamming.and light and shade. Rekindled my love of music and inspired me to take up the bass.

I like a bit of Sting, saw the Police in 78 (bit too new wave for me at the time tho)
After reading his biography I started to understand why he seemed to me to be such an egotistical asshole :)

Summoners Tales definately my favorite solo album of his as well, he's done some other great tracks as well (of course)

His bassplaying has always been very rootsy and really suited the songs, a true great at that. But lately to me he seems to of got pretty lazy on the bass and fairly one dimensional in his playing, Granted he is still awesome but I feel he's lost something in it that he used to have or maybe he's just not taken it forward in a way that I would of liked to of seen. I'm not that keen on the new album yet, but will give it a few more plays.

One cool bassplayer, one not so cool :)
[url="https://flic.kr/p/MhKF5L"][/url]

The Police were one of the first bands I liked as a kid (that I didn't get into via my parents record collection) but Sting has consistently disappointed me throughout his solo career. However the new album seems to be a return to the early days (by numbers or otherwise) so I must confess to being more than a little curious about the new album.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1476605331' post='3155473']

Was that aimed at me..?
[/quote]i don't think so Michael

I think he was just saying it shouldn't matter because the music is the thing that matters

Now that is true as long as musicians keep to their business, that is music

But when they start expressing opinions that they make public on non musical matters, then they open themselves up to scrutiny

I remember hearing sting talk about green issues and conservation

I put it to you that there is a contradiction about a man concerned with conservation who has some 10 plus holiday properties throughout the world - a person being only able to sleep in one bed at a time, eat three meals a day, drive one car, etc.

IMHO "celebrities" should less by example and reject extravagant consumption.

Lily Allen is another example, but don't get me started

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1476612093' post='3155569']
i don't think so Michael
[/quote]

Oh, OK - I wasn't sure how to respond as it didn't seem relevant..!

No successful musician is going to be whiter-than-white. They'll all have enjoyed spending their money at some point.

Also - Sting has a family, and friends. It's not jut one bloke travelling with a (man in a a) suitcase. I doubt many of the houses are empty.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1476601542' post='3155454']
The Police, one of the best live bands I have ever seen. Saw them at the old Mayfair in Newcastle, not long after the first album came out, they were pretty much un known. Blew me away. No modern technology, no in ear monitors, no backing tracks. Just three good musicians with great songs playing off one another. Great harmonies, lots of jamming.and light and shade. Rekindled my love of music and inspired me to take up the bass.
[/quote]

One of my tutors at uni saw them while he was studying at Newcastle uni.

I think he's a great bass player. Quite jazzy when he started. I was looking at his line to message in a bottle with a student a few weeks ago. Explaining how he used to double track his bass lines using electric and EUB or double bass.

The Police were a great band, but he's done some amazing music solo, though his albums are sometimes a bit patchy.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWl45J8XI-E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWl45J8XI-E[/url]