Why become a member? ×

Sting.

bubinga5

Superb songwriter, lyricist, singer and bass player. Sting is one of my favourite people! Love all of his stuff. Saw him for the first time last year with Paul Simon and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. My current favourite tracks (which change every week) are Something The Boy Said and Fortress Around Your Heart. Vinnie just superb on both.

Edited by acidbass

I agree that his lyrics are (or were) superb - stuff that makes you think and +1 for Fortress Around Your Heart.
He's done a very naughty thing with the lyrics to Every Breath ... though. He made it quite clear on it's release that it shouldn't treated as a love song because it's about stalking. He's changed his mind since.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1476631897' post='3155793']
I agree that his lyrics are (or were) superb - stuff that makes you think and +1 for Fortress Around Your Heart.
He's done a very naughty thing with the lyrics to Every Breath ... though. He made it quite clear on it's release that it shouldn't treated as a love song because it's about stalking. He's changed his mind since.
[/quote]

Ahhhhh. I was told, or it was suggested, that it was about his break up from his first wife.

I think he is bloody superb, yeah he can talk a bit of bollocks every now and again but who doesn't??

I fell in love with Stings solo material first I guess, I was aware of the big police hits but it was 10 summoners tales, mercury falling, and brand new day, that were the albums I loved. I still think Mercury Falling is a fabulous album with some incredible lyrics and songs.

He was also a huge inspiration as a bass player for me, I think someone said it previously, such simple but brilliantly clever lines that support the songs so well. I saw him on the brand new day tour and he was phenomenal, one of the most incredible musical experiences I have ever had.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1476601542' post='3155454']
The Police, one of the best live bands I have ever seen. Saw them at the old Mayfair in Newcastle, not long after the first album came out, they were pretty much un known. Blew me away. No modern technology, no in ear monitors, no backing tracks. Just three good musicians with great songs playing off one another. Great harmonies, lots of jamming.and light and shade. Rekindled my love of music and inspired me to take up the bass.
[/quote]

I was at that gig - it was amazing.

Love The Police and a fair chunk of his solo output. I remember saying to a friend around the time of the Lute album "it's really hard staying a Sting fan sometimes". Didn't think much of his recent session on Jools either.

I missed The Police first time round but caught them in 2007 in Vienna (brilliant - one of a few standing gigs they did) and Wembley Arena (so so). I saw him first at the Human Rights Now show at Wembley Stadium in 198something, round about the time of Nothing Like The Sun, and on the tour for the same album at Wembley Arena. Bassist then was Tracy Wormworth from The Waitresses! (that's her on Christmas Wrapping). I saw the Back To Bass show a couple of years ago as well, that was pretty good.

Added props for some brilliant basslines in The Police, agree Ten Sumner's Tales is his best. Also love The Lazarus Heart from NLTS, Jeremiah Blues Pt 1, Dream Of The Blue Turtles (with Demolition Man on Bring On The Night - wow), Moon Over Bourbon St, live album All This TIme is surprisingly good. Bonus points for ongoing use of Moog Taurus synth pedals.

Wooden spoon for the "greatest hits with orchestra" thing, trying to be too clever-clever, the Lute album, the musical, the beard, buddy-buddy tours with Peter Gabriel and Paul Simon, telling his kids they're not inheriting anything.

I agree that pop/music stars should be listened to when it comes to music, they are pros after all.

When it comes to politics then their opinion is no more relevant than any one of us. Sadly, many celebrities forget this. Lily Allen is possibly the best example of this. You don't hear much from Sting these days.

WHAT MAKES ME MAD is when artists start to spout their nonsense at gigs. I nearly walked out on U2 for this.

Davo

Edited by Davo-London

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1476726078' post='3156708']
Two pages of Sting-stuff, and nobody's mentioned his Tantric bonking yet!

What's happened to Basschat??!! :lol:
[/quote]

I was going to mention that in another 8-10 pages or so.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1476726078' post='3156708']
Two pages of Sting-stuff, and nobody's mentioned his Tantric bonking yet!

What's happened to Basschat??!! :lol:
[/quote]

Ah yes, tantric sex is like a visit from a shoddy courier - you stay in for ages and no one comes!

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1476704361' post='3156400']
Love The Police and a fair chunk of his solo output. I remember saying to a friend around the time of the Lute album "it's really hard staying a Sting fan sometimes". Didn't think much of his recent session on Jools either.

I missed The Police first time round but caught them in 2007 in Vienna (brilliant - one of a few standing gigs they did) and Wembley Arena (so so). I saw him first at the Human Rights Now show at Wembley Stadium in 198something, round about the time of Nothing Like The Sun, and on the tour for the same album at Wembley Arena. Bassist then was Tracy Wormworth from The Waitresses! (that's her on Christmas Wrapping). I saw the Back To Bass show a couple of years ago as well, that was pretty good.

Added props for some brilliant basslines in The Police, agree Ten Sumner's Tales is his best. Also love The Lazarus Heart from NLTS, Jeremiah Blues Pt 1, Dream Of The Blue Turtles (with Demolition Man on Bring On The Night - wow), Moon Over Bourbon St, live album All This TIme is surprisingly good. Bonus points for ongoing use of Moog Taurus synth pedals.

Wooden spoon for the "greatest hits with orchestra" thing, trying to be too clever-clever, the Lute album, the musical, the beard, buddy-buddy tours with Peter Gabriel and Paul Simon, telling his kids they're not inheriting anything.
[/quote]Tracy Wormworth, always wondered who played on that tour. She does a lovely drop D bass line on If You Love Somebody etc which was a bonus live track with one of his singles.
It was nice to hear him back on the bass for his second album after Daryll Jones did the first and their's some lovely bass on it.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1476704361' post='3156400']

Wooden spoon for the "greatest hits with orchestra" thing, trying to be too clever-clever, the Lute album, the musical, the beard, buddy-buddy tours with Peter Gabriel and Paul Simon,[b] telling his kids they're not inheriting anything.[/b]
[/quote]

I believe what he meant was that he didnt want them just sitting about doing nowt with there lives cos they would just get all the old mans money. Also, he is a Geordie, he has a sense of humor.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1476731311' post='3156791']
I believe what he meant was that he didnt want them just sitting about doing nowt with there lives cos they would just get all the old mans money. Also, he is a Geordie, he has a sense of humor.
[/quote]

As a comedian he should stick to bass-playing

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1476730613' post='3156782']
Tracy Wormworth, always wondered who played on that tour. She does a lovely drop D bass line on If You Love Somebody etc which was a bonus live track with one of his singles.
It was nice to hear him back on the bass for his second album after Daryll Jones did the first and their's some lovely bass on it.
[/quote]

Had a quick rummage for the If You Love Sombody live but can only find earlier (Bring On The Night era) clips. Got any links to the Tracy version?

Wooden spoon bonus round: Temptation/Frustration etc. etc.