Why become a member? ×

Single tone control active - do they exist?

Ajoten

My Levinson Blade B4 bass had an active circuit with a tone control that worked like a more traditional passive tone control. It was actually a low pass filter so it gradually cut the highs without getting muddy.

Edited by RhysP

@walbassist I was meaning "off the shelf" basses really, as if I had a passive bass I wouldn't change it to active. And reading up on it that East preamp is terrifyingly complicated: "the upper knob allows either a mid boost, or a combined bass/treble boost. The lower knob sets the variable frequency points for either mode." is exactly what I don't want!

My Washburn Status is active with a single tone control.

I've never been exactly sure what it cuts/boosts but there's significantly more variation in tone than you get on a passive bass.

Edit: I think the Status Energy (I have no connection to the seller) in the for sale section has a similar arrangement, maybe the seller knows a bit more about it.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1476625244' post='3155704']
The old Westone Thunder 1A had a single active tone control with a huge tonal range. There was a passive tone as well, so three knobs altogether.
[/quote]

+1 and it's the same arrangement on the Spectrum LX (which is a PJ bass).

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1476619583' post='3155646']
Just buy a passive bass? The whole point of active basses is er, active EQ.
[/quote]

No it isn't, the whole point of an active bass is to provide a buffered low impedance output to the bass so that the capacitance of the lead doesn't cause high frequency attenuation in the cable. Having active tone is just a by product of it being powered

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1476630261' post='3155768']
No it isn't, the whole point of an active bass is to provide a buffered low impedance output to the bass so that the capacitance of the lead doesn't cause high frequency attenuation in the cable. Having active tone is just a by product of it being powered
[/quote]Spot on.

The capacitance of any guitar cable is quite high as a passive guitar has a very high impedance. Even the best cable. The longer it gets the bigger the effect is. On my wireless unit I have a setting to simulate a length of guitar lead which reduces the treble as this is normal.

This is what an active circuit was made to get rid of. The tone controls are just there because it was quickly established that if you are having an amplifier there it gives you the option to boost instead of cutting.
Fender (as in Leo, not the company) did a lot of work on that, and his original designs didn't have boosting tone controls - the G&Ls never had them while he was alive.

[quote name='Ajoten' timestamp='1476643911' post='3155941']
FWIW my question arose from casting an eye around for a nice 5 string, and most are active. I don't care if active or passive TBH, I care about a lack of complication.
[/quote]

Thats why I said about the G&Ls. Although I didn't like it when I got it, I sort of appreciate it now, you have a tone control, which acts like a tone control, and you have a bass cut control, that I don't use live but I use it in the house! Works in both passive or active exactly the same way.

[/quote]

Bollocks.

[quote name='Ajoten' timestamp='1476643911' post='3155941']
FWIW my question arose from casting an eye around for a nice 5 string, and most are active. I don't care if active or passive TBH, I care about a lack of complication.
[/quote] get a passive 5 string. Even if it is only one knob it's another thing to go wrong.

I would say try the 2 band stingray - it really is quite simple to use

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1476647810' post='3155998']
get a passive 5 string. Even if it is only one knob it's another thing to go wrong.

I would say try the 2 band stingray - it really is quite simple to use
[/quote]

Or a squier 5 string precision - then there are no issues!

[/quote]

I'd say the 'point' of an active bass is whatever the designer of the circuit wants.

Edited by ahpook