Why become a member? ×

Active PA speaker no power

bonzodog

We use a pair of EV ZLXp 15" powered speakers for vocal PA and one died last night. Power just went off. Tried different power leads but still nothing. No light on just completely dead.
Anyone know a possible cause and if its likely to be expensive before i take it for repair. We bought it second hand about 6 months ago.

just had a quick look at the manual, it looks like there might be a fuse sandwiched between the mains socket and the mains switch. If so you should find it mounted in a carrier which you can pop out with a screwdriver.

Failing that there might be an internal fuse but you'd need to disassemble the speaker to take the amp out. Unless you are confident you can deal with mains electricity and also how to use a multimeter it might be a better idea to leave this to a tech.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1476702080' post='3156362']
Thanks for the replies. Not sure what to look for so Ive took it back to PMT and reluctantly agreed to pay for repair as its just out of the 3 month used warranrty terms. My local repair shop who i tried first wont touch class D stuff apparently.
[/quote]

Hi

Shame its used.... you get 3 year warranty on new EV kit.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1476702080' post='3156362']
Thanks for the replies. Not sure what to look for so Ive took it back to PMT and reluctantly agreed to pay for repair as its just out of the 3 month used warranrty terms. My local repair shop who i tried first wont touch class D stuff apparently.
[/quote]

Which is a pity as it could be something as simple as a dry joint...

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1476702747' post='3156373']

Which is a pity as it could be something as simple as a dry joint...
[/quote]

Ive spoken to the repairer as PMT have passed me his details to deal direct. He seems a genuine person and ive told him to tell me cost before he attempts to fix it.
Thanks

Apparently power module has gone and £200 to replace. Gutted as we paid £180 for this one, had it 4 months and only used it a handful of times. PMT warranty is 3 months on used gear.

Think im going to avoid buying used gear in future as been stung a few times. Would rather have peace of mind of the warranty