Why become a member? ×

Behringer bx4500h head - how do I remove the case?

stevie

I've taken all the visible screws from the wooden case on my Behringer BX4500 head and the thing won't come out. It's solid. I even looked under the corners in case there were hidden screws there. Come someone tell me what I am missing?

I haven't played this at loud volumes yet, but the fan on the back panel doesn't come on at low volumes. Is this normal?

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1476625881' post='3155710']
The fan shouldn't be related to Volume.
There are 2 types, those that are on all the time and those that are temperature sensitive and only come on when the temperature in the case rises above a set level.
So it depends on which type it is.
[/quote]

Yes, that's what I'm trying to find out. I can hear the internal fan, which is on all the time. As I'm using it at home at a low volume at the moment, the amp is not getting hot. It could well be that it only switches in when the amp gets hot, in which case all is fine.

However, if the fan is faulty and I gig the amp, I could blow the amp and my speaker. The reason I want to get inside the amp is to test the external fan. Even then, it could be the thermistor switch that's faulty, which is why I'd like to know if the fan should be turning at low volumes.

I'd give Behringer a call, but it's Sunday and I'm not sure I'd be able to find someone to answer the question anyway.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1476630887' post='3155784']
Looking online it seems its just held in with 4 screws on the top. So it should slide out from the back or the front. Try pushing it from the back first.
[/quote]

I've tried pushing, pulling, banging and levering, and believe me, it is stuck. There are screws top (and bottom) holding the amp in the casing, but there has to be something else as well.

Not sure brute force is the answer. These should come apart pretty easily or how would they repair them.
Are the screws that attach the feet also screwing into the chassis?
If all else fails drop a line to this forum as a guy there has obviously managed to take them apart.
http://music-electronics-forum.com/t25581/

I tried removing the handle, but that is not so simple either: there are no visible screws and you can't lever the end caps off without damaging them. Hmmmm.

I called the nice people at Electronic Music Services in Southend and they didn't really know. I suppose that's good news because it means they probably haven't had one in for repair. They did say that the handle screws were unlikely to be screwed into the chassis though.

Time to drop a line to the guy on the forum who managed to figure it out.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1476621916' post='3155671']
I've taken all the visible screws from the wooden case on my Behringer BX4500 head and the thing won't come out. It's solid. I even looked under the corners in case there were hidden screws there. Come someone tell me what I am missing?

I haven't played this at loud volumes yet, but the fan on the back panel doesn't come on at low volumes. Is this normal?
[/quote]

I had one years ago, the fan was on at all times. It used to annoy me a little bit when I used it at home at low volume... so it most definitely was on at low volume.
It doesn't sound bad at all, that amp...

I cannot help with how to opening it, I never tried and I no longer have that head, sorry.

Edited by mcnach

Thanks, McNach, that's most useful. It means that the fan is faulty and that I do really need to get inside to replace it.

Still no luck though. I couldn't get in touch with the guy on the site BassBunny recommended because they claimed I was spammer(!). I've asked a question on the Behringer forum but I'm not very hopeful.

It's at times like this that you appreciate Ashdown's quality of service.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got a reply from Behringer Support in the UK. It took a phone call and a bit of persuasion, as they seem to be scared to death of helping anyone fix their own gear in case they fry themselves.

So, for anyone doing a Google search and coming across this thread ..... the answer is: brute force. Haha :) Undo all visible screws holding the chassis in (not on the feet and corners, of course) and then push like buggery from the back. (Stu_G and Twincam were right, sortof.) It took a bit of huffing and puffing, but it did finally come out - and the fan is as stiff as.... well, a brush. I've ordered a good quality 24V replacement and we should be in business again shortly.

Interestingly, the case is 3/4" wood and weighs almost as much as the amp. I'm considering making a lighter plywood case, which should bring the weight down to under 10kg, I reckon.

The handles bolt into the case, but I can't figure out how to get the two metal handle covers off. Unless anyone has a better idea, I suppose I'll try brute force on those too. :)

Edited by stevie

I ordered this one, Tim: <http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391490937364?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT>. That brand has quite a good reputation.

Unfortunately, I've never heard the amp with the fan going - so I can't make a comparison, but I'll let you know what it sounds like when I fit it. People often make the mistake of fitting a quieter fan without realising the new one will run at a slower speed and will therefore not cool as well. Behringer specified a fan that runs at about 3,000rpm and that's never going to be really quiet.

Because of the fan problem, I haven't played the amp outside the house, but I rather like it. I particularly like the eq, which I believe was nicked from Ashdown, but still - they probably nicked it from someone else. :lol:

Edited by stevie

I've installed the fan, and yes, it's LOUD. I can't be doing with that, as it's annoyingly loud inside the house, and I'm going to slow it down. I can't see why it needs to pump that much air when there is a huge heatsink inside. It wouldn't have cost them much to link the fan to a heat sensor, but when you stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap I suppose every eurocent counts.

Anyone thinking of trying to slow their fan down might like to consult this very useful site: [url="http://www.blackfiveservices.co.uk/fanspeed.shtml."]http://www.blackfiveservices.co.uk/fanspeed.shtml[/url]
The calculator tells me that a 8-ohm resistor will do the trick.

[The link is correct, but for some reason a full stop gets inserted at the end or the URL. Copy the URL (rather than clicking on it), delete the full stop in your browser and you'll get to the site.]

Edited by stevie