Why become a member? ×

Hartke TX600 - Review

TheDaivisch

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1476905196' post='3158409']
Bass Player's review describes the TX as "loud and punchy". It would seem many disagree.
[/quote]

"Loud" needs qualification. It might be loud compared to a small combo, but 600 watts loud? My comparison is against other 600, 500 and 900 watt amps Ive used recently. There are far too many reviews saying the same thing as me for it not to be a thing.

Is it a bad head? No. Its tone is lovely and features are great. Is it quiet? Not at all. Is it 600 watts loud? Not in my opinion.

[quote name='TheDaivisch' timestamp='1476905803' post='3158418']
"Loud" needs qualification. It might be loud compared to a small combo, but 600 watts loud? My comparison is against other 600, 500 and 900 watt amps Ive used recently. There are far too many reviews saying the same thing as me for it not to be a thing.

Is it a bad head? No. Its tone is lovely and features are great. Is it quiet? Not at all. Is it 600 watts loud? Not in my opinion.
[/quote]
Well said. My LH500 has rarely needed to be at above the halfway point on the linear volume control. If the TX is as loud with plenty to spare, then it'll be perfect for me. The trouble is, it's not exactly easy to try one out in the UK, without a long journey. With all the negative comments, it's definitely one to try before you buy.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1476908411' post='3158454']

Well said. My LH500 has rarely needed to be at above the halfway point on the linear volume control. If the TX is as loud with plenty to spare, then it'll be perfect for me. The trouble is, it's not exactly easy to try one out in the UK, without a long journey. With all the negative comments, it's definitely one to try before you buy.
[/quote]

I have just received the LH1000 and tried it. I can categorically state that the TX600 is nowhere near as loud as an LH500. I used one of the 500 watt cores into a single speaker and this is *significantly* louder. Using both cores in Dual Parallel mode into two speakers, this is ridiculously, laughable louder. It makes the TX600 seem like a 60 watt practice combo.

Full review and pics coming up...

[quote name='TheDaivisch' timestamp='1477134241' post='3160037']
I have just received the LH1000 and tried it. I can categorically state that the TX600 is nowhere near as loud as an LH500. I used one of the 500 watt cores into a single speaker and this is *significantly* louder. Using both cores in Dual Parallel mode into two speakers, this is ridiculously, laughable louder. It makes the TX600 seem like a 60 watt practice combo.

Full review and pics coming up...
[/quote]
Thanks Daivisch, this is really helpful. I will be waiting for Hartke to update the TX, or bring out more class D heads. I'll try a TX if I'm anywhere near Manchester or London. None in stock anywhere in Bristol, Brum or Cardiff as far as I know.

• 1 year later...

After hesitating to buy a TX for over 18 months, due to all the negative reviews, I finally bought one. As someone who has done hundreds of gigs with both the Hartke 3500 and the LH500 and having used the TX for five gigs, I am happy to report that I find it at least as powerful, punchy and loud as the aforementioned models and I struggle to understand all those who are convinced otherwise. I can only put it down to ignorance about the physics of amplifying bass, which can lead to unrealistic expectations of how different wattages compare volume wise (those who think 600w will be much louder than 500w). Here is a clip of the TX through a Warwick 210 cab at a large beer festival with no bass through the PA. The sound you hear is direct from the 210 cabinet. The gain is at 12 0'clock, master volume at 10 0'clock.

Edited by arthurhenry