Why become a member? ×

Hartke TX600 - Review

TheDaivisch

So...

I've been running a Genz Benz Contour 500 head into 2x Hartke 112 Hydrive cabs.

Lovely punchy cabs, great little head. I found myself wanting a more valvey tone and just a little more headroom...
Cue me deciding to give the Hartke TX600 a go...

First impressions:

This is a nice, modern looking amp. The single handle is a nice feature and the chunky dials with back lighting look good. On the flipside, it seems like Hartke have decided to change their visuals. Sitting on top of the Hydrives it looks like an amp from a different manufacturer. That said, no biggie and still a nice looking little unit that feels like it will stay together for a long time.

Switching it on:

This is a very quiet unit. It seems even quieter than the Genz, with very little hiss and the variable speed fan which only comes on when needed is a nice feature.

Gain.

Dialling up the gain reveals a tube preamp that takes a LOT to make it overdrive and even then it is very minor overdrive with the light flashing red and hardly any audible distortion. With a passive G&L JB-2 I wasn't able to make it overdrive even with it max'd out. With a high output G&L L2000 and some very aggressive playing, the backlight started to go red around the 3'o'clock mark and again was not very audible distortion. Not a tube preamp designed for tube overdrive tone, if that's what you're looking for. For clean valve preamp tone, it's great; which leads me on to...

EQ.

The EQ is not your bog standard active EQ affair. The EQ is apparently a "tone stack equilizer" which has no theoretical flat setting and I can confirm it doesn't appear to behave like other EQs I've used. Whatever it is, it is very easy to dial in some lovely musical velvety, growly aggressive, or smooth and warm tones. It certainly sounds different to a normal active eq, but it only takes a few seconds to dial in what you need and is difficult to dial in something that sounds bad. The treble is sweet and crisp with no harshness. The bass is powerful and very musical (notably set at a relatively high 80Hz). The shape control is a "scoop" setting rather than a mid boost type filter. Compared to the Genz it is smoother and more, well, valvey; exactly as expected.

Compressor.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the compressor, having never tried Hartke effects pedals and having owned some great stuff by TC, EBS etc. I found that this is a really really nice, musical sounding compressor that goes from subtle to rich, punchy and crunchy. Very nice and up there in tone with the famous EBS foot pedal, which I loved.

Volume.

Hmm. Volume. This is, unfortunately, what has lead me to decide to send the unit back and now consider getting the much heavier, less feature laden LH1000. I did a direct comparison with the Genz and Initially thought I had somehow managed to wire up the cabs wrong...or had missed a button, or misunderstood how the EQ worked. After consulting the manual and staring at the amp, A/Bing between the Genz and the Hartke into the same speakers multiple times, it dawned on me. This "600 watt" amp is significantly, noticably, frustratingly quieter than the 500 watt Genz Benz. It sounds like what I'd imagine an amp with 300 watts would sound like in terms of volume. To confound matters, the volume has a very annoying way of suddenly jumping up in volume beyond around 2'o'clock. Beyond that, when pushed, it started to sound boxy and compressed/stressed and still could not keep up with the Genz, whose volume increases in a far more linear fashion and without farting out through the range of the volume dial. On both the Hartke and Genz I pushed the preamp up to the point when it starts overdriving and then just backed off so it stayed clean to make it a fair test. I've owned Genz Shuttle 6.2s, 9.2s and GBE750s and these all were VASTLY louder. Disappointing... Very disappointing. It makes me wonder if Hartke are being a bit "creative" with their power ratings...someone with more amp related knowledge may be able to comment...

I may report back on my experience with the LH1000.

Edited by TheDaivisch

Cheers man. I'm not sure the LH1000 is necessary. Maybe I should save 100 odd quid and get the 500, especially as my wee 300 watt 112s can only handle a small chunk of the power. Ah well...you can never have too much headroom...

Edited by TheDaivisch

Thanks for this review, I am having second thoughts about ordering one due to the reported volume issues. Would you say it's usable for a loud rock band? Apparently this is what Larry Hartke has said:
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]"Yes set the gain as high as you can without the lightsaround the knob flashing red (that indicates an overload on the preamp). Then use the master. The master volume taper is not linear so it will get loud slowly and then increase in volume quicker the farther you turn it up. It will start hitting hard around 1:00 or 2:00 O'clock that's normal for that type of control."[/size][/font][/color]

Depends on the rock band! All I can say is my Contour 500 was struggling a bit with 2x 112s (or rather...didn't have the headroom I like. I'm a bit of a headroom junky) in a covers band with 2 loud guitars and a v. loud non mic'd drummer and the Hartke is noticeably quieter.

As above, I found the limit of the preamp and backed it off just enough so it doesn't flash under heavy playing. Yes it jumps suddenly at 2 but was still noticeably quieter and started to hit its limits of clean power quicker than the Genz.

Edited by TheDaivisch

Thanks for the review, shame to see the lack of volume.

I have an LH1000 and was considering a down size due to weight, but it seems not to this.

I can confirm the LH1000 is very very loud and clean, but good deals are out there to save cash.
I picked up one for £180 in top notch condition, always lived in a flight case

Thanks for the review The Daivisch. They looked quite good on paper.

Not sure of the GB Contour head, but I know with the Streamliner there is no issue with volume. Only reason I'm looking at moving mine on is I now have a Schroeder cab and Jorg really does endorse EICH (hence looking for a TecAmp PUMA).
I was really surprised with the jump in perceived volume when I changed from Barefaced to Schroeder, although had to EQ completely differently for the Schro.

Plenty of excellent used heads for sale on here.
Is it perhaps worth taking your head into a shop or a bass bash and trying your head with different cabs?

Thanks again,
cheers,
Karl.

[quote name='TheDaivisch' timestamp='1476697529' post='3156297']
The Supertwin is a cab isn't it? It makes a 410 cab boom? Idontgeddit...
[/quote]

He's selling the 410, because the Hartke works well with his new Barefaced Supertwin (makes it boom)
Im so down with the kids B)

Sorry, I was typing whilst eating brekkie

Never basschat and eat!

I have an LH1000 amp I was running through a HyDrive 410, I now run the LH1000 through the Barefaced supertwin and it has made it come alive, don't get me wrong the HyDrives sounded good, but for my ears I get a fuller sound with Barefaced especially when using a sub harmoniser

I was thinking of a TX600 for weight and space etc. But if it's not quite delivering the goods and is certainly no better than the LH1000, then I am staying put.

Sorry for the confusion

This thread is another sad example of Hartke screwing up big time. Firstly, we had the Kilo announced and then delayed for 3 years until release. Worse still, it had no flat position on the amp as the preshape couldn't be turned off. Idiocy. That's before we get into reported reliability problems....

Then we get the LH series. I mean, come on!! Try a little here! Rubbish. Again, no flat position for the eq and I found no position that I could get the upper mid response that I like because although powerful, the amps were very inflexible tonally with a mid scoop unless you ran the amp 2,10,2. Who's going to do that?!!

Now we get to this. Underpowered TC Electronics lookalike nonsense. Why didn't they just take the pre-amp from the HA series and splat it in with a better power module? There you go Hartke, sort it out. It doesn't take much to figure out that they are on borrowed time.

Such a pity, but I believe that they will soon be joining other bass amp manufacturers in the sky like SWR did and people will say "they used to make good stuff back in the day..."

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1476813103' post='3157535']
I think that's a bit unfair on the LH series, it is a stonkingly good simple amp. As with all things there are plenty of people who like and plenty who don't but I don't think it falls into the Kilo or TX category :)
[/quote]

I have to agree. Whilst i am disappointed with the reviews ive read on the TX, the LH amps are great and ive got plenty of decent sounds from mine. Can be purchased very cheap now too.

I had an LH1000 and gigged it with Laney 4x10" & 1x15" cabs. I liked the fact that on that one it had a balance so I could direct more to the 4x10" which I sat underneath the 15" as it produced more bottom end.

Anyway I was able to get the valve to overdrive on that with my Precision with EMGs. It sounded incredible but the amp on it's own weighed more than my current entire setup, including my bass.

I was going to hold off and buy the TX600 but going by this review I'm glad I went with the MB500 instead

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1476813103' post='3157535']
I think that's a bit unfair on the LH series, it is a stonkingly good simple amp. As with all things there are plenty of people who like and plenty who don't but I don't think it falls into the Kilo or TX category :)
[/quote]

Quite possibly I'm being harsh. I suppose it's because I sculpt my tone a lot and I couldn't get to it with that amp and I found it infuriating. Like most, I know my basses and cabs well enough to get what I want as long there is a flat setting as a minimum. I tried for 2 afternoons with my Alembic and just wasn't happy with it.

Hence, my somewhat scathing review as I feel Hartke can do so much better and they're just not trying to. Merely my experience though. I still think my ha5500 is one of the best amps I've ever played though. Pity they've not done anything as good for almost a decade.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1476867259' post='3157841']
I don't think Harkte "aren't trying" with the LH, it has a very specific design goal in mind and IMO meets it perfectly.
[/quote]

Yeah, it does meet a specific brief and it's one which I don't like due to the tonal inflexibility. So the issue is mine for that. However, I think when you compare class D products as a whole, the TX is going to be near the bottom due to it not being very loud. If one were cynical, one might say they went for the cheapest power module to keep the cost down as opposed to digging in and making something good. Like, arguably the LH series has a cheap pre-amp. That's my reason for saying they're not trying. I think were they to do the HA pre-amp as a midi controllable graphic eq with a 1000W power supply, I'd dig on that, but they won't because they're making things for a price rather than quality like the recent darkglass amp which would appear to utterly kill.

But, of course, you're quite right about the LH series, it must work for someone or they wouldn't sell any.

Edited by Wolverinebass