Why become a member? ×

To build or restore?

Powertripper

Hi guys,

First time poster. I'm a full-time musician but have only a rudimentary understanding of the anatomy of my beloved basses (and six strings); whilst I'm perfectly capable of carrying out a very basic setup and repair, I'm no technical wizard, so I'm considering getting hold of a scrap bass and restoring it myself to gain a thorough insight into the build of the bass, or I am considering purchasing a kit and working from there. Does anybody have any recommendations for a technical novice who wants to learn?

Also, I'd greatly appreciate anything in the way of directions towards literature, websites or videos that help with repairs and restorations.

Apologies if this is a kind of FAQ, and please just direct me to another thread if there's something appropriate.

Kind regards,
H.

Take a look at youtube.com and Deschamps for Crimson Guitars. They did a good series on buying a guitar kit and making a good guitar from it.

If I were you, I'd be on the lookout for a nice old bass, such as Marlin, a Squier or even an Encore and have a go at pimping it with pups, bridge etc.

Gear4Music LA basses are good too as are Harley Benton. Good luck with the journey. Its good fun.