Why become a member? ×

GAS or just bored

Guest MoJo

I've been giving this some thought this morning. I've often thought that my apparent need to swap gear every few months was GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), but I realise now that it's just boredom or familiarity and wanting something new to play with. I've never had a lot of disposable income and have, in the past, owned basses that cost around the £200-£300 mark. A few years ago, I came into a little bit of money and decided to treat myself. I ordered a brand new Rickenbacker 4003.
Once it arrived, I played it at a few rehearsals and one gig before coming to the conclusion that I fancied something else. I traded it with another BC'er for a 30th Anniversary Stingray, a great instrument but after a few weeks, I regretted letting the Rick go and got in touch with the guy I'd traded it with. Happily, he wasn't feeling the Ricky love and was happy to swap back.
A few weeks later, I'd grown tired of the Rick (again) and agreed a trade with another BC'er for a beautiful US Fender Custom Shop Jazz. That was sold a short time later to a BC'er in Belgium IIRC. Each sale since that has resulted in small losses, until most of the £1800 I'd invested in the Rick had disappeared.
I now sit here, looking at my Squier Jazz and think to myself, "What on earth did I think that I was going to find that was better than that Jazz? Why didn't I just hang onto that?"
Even now, I have searches set up on Ebay and Gumtree, looking for the 'next bass'. When will I learn

Has anyone else gone down this road?

I've just come to a similar conclusion.... and I think it's down to wanting inspiration. I often think a new guitar or bass is going to inspire me to different and/or better playing, but I've just found out that it's a temporary feeling.

So... I've re-strung my strat with heavy-bottom 10's and down-tuned to Eb, and I'm loving playing an learning (and re-learning) loads of Stevie Ray Vaughan songs.

GAS has gone.

I'm terrible at spending money. If I can identify a concrete need, then that's one thing, but I'm not at all inclined to "upgrade". As a result, I'm playing a bass that I've had for 6 years, through an amp that I've had for two years, into a cab that I've had for 7 years. Recently I've been spending money on pedals, but again, it's because I've identified a requirement for them.

S.P.

We need an "Up 4 Swap" section, where for an agreed period, 2 members can swap basses, with the full knowledge that what's borrowed will be returned after the given time.

The problem with this, of course, is what happens if a bass gets dinged? What happens if the owner finds a ding the borrower didn't know it had gained?

... Hmm... back to the drawing bored.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1476711809' post='3156507']
We need an "Up 4 Swap" section, where for an agreed period, 2 members can swap basses, with the full knowledge that what's borrowed will be returned after the given time.

The problem with this, of course, is what happens if a bass gets dinged? What happens if the owner finds a ding the borrower didn't know it had gained?

... Hmm... back to the drawing bored.
[/quote]

Great idea though

>Each sale since that has resulted in small losses, until most of the £1800 I'd invested in the Rick had disappeared...

Rather than looking at it as a financial loss, instead consider it as the price of your (furthering) education.
And compared to today's university fee's, it's a bargain!

Edited by samhay

Maybe it could work if it was agreed that all were to insure all basses in their possession and all owners were to accept that all minor dings were to be accepted as "fair wear and tear".

That's to say you shouldn't offer up a pristine Jazz if you don't accept it could come back with a couple of small chips. It's still fraught with danger though.

I`m the same as you Mojo.

I can`t seem to settle on one bass. I change them frequently and try and justify it to myself. Recent purchase is a Ibby Sr750. Really nice bass but so are the other 5 I own. The price doesn`t really matter: some are cheap, others not so.

I still wonder why I traded a 2009 US P bass, black and maple, as it was a cracker and would have done me for the rest playing days.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1476735033' post='3156853']
I`m the same as you Mojo.

I can`t seem to settle on one bass. I change them frequently and try and justify it to myself. Recent purchase is a Ibby Sr750. Really nice bass but so are the other 5 I own. The price doesn`t really matter: some are cheap, others not so.

I still wonder why I traded a 2009 US P bass, black and maple, as it was a cracker and would have done me for the rest playing days.
[/quote]

I'm glad that I'm not alone and have found a kindred spirit

I`ve sold some stuff I really should have kept hold of, hopefully I`ve learned my lesson now. It`s just that I hear other stuff and really like the sound of it, and then realise that that sound was great in whatever band it was being used in etc, but my sound suits my band the best and I already have the exact right gear for what I need.

I`m lucky in some ways that I`ve found the perfect basses for me, the post 2012 US Standard Fender Precisions. I`m so happy with them that I`ve no intention of looking at other basses, it`s amps/cabs that I keep buying, moving old stuff on, then selling the new gear to buy the old stuff again. Just been through it all for the second time, selling my Aguilar Tonehammers, only to then have to buy them again. Hopefully I`ll learn from this that as much as I want a big looking stack, I`m too knacked to be carrying one - even of a 13lb racked amp and Barefaced lightweight 410 & 210 - so it has to be a small Class D amp and a single 2x12 (Barefaced of course) cab.

Basically I need to adopt a bit of common sense in both the wallet, the ears, and the back.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1476778989' post='3157075']
Not with basses - I've only bought two in the last 16 years.
Amps and pedals are a different story. Overall, it's the enjoyment of the search and anticipation of getting something new. Very little to do with actual real need.
[/quote]

I think you're exactly right and it's taken the best part of 30 years for me to realise that.

A lot go through this (me too!) and it is a form of addiction. I'm 1,000,000 times better than I was but even now I do have to watch things. It's nice to get new things but it isn't the be all and end all. I did the same thing with a Rickenbacker and spent 3 years on a Squier to prove I had calmed down. Three mid range basses is plenty for me now but I do occasionally have a window shop.

I have the same symptoms. It's GAS, but more than GAS. You dream of a bass you have ALWAYS wanted. Finally get it, then you want something else. It's fine if you have the money, but harder if you are going through a thin patch. That's another thing. GAS gets worse when you are flush.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1476742391' post='3156948']
I`ve sold some stuff I really should have kept hold of, hopefully I`ve learned my lesson now. It`s just that I hear other stuff and really like the sound of it, and then realise that that sound was great in whatever band it was being used in etc, but my sound suits my band the best and I already have the exact right gear for what I need.

I`m lucky in some ways that I`ve found the perfect basses for me, the post 2012 US Standard Fender Precisions. I`m so happy with them that I`ve no intention of looking at other basses, it`s amps/cabs that I keep buying, moving old stuff on, then selling the new gear to buy the old stuff again. Just been through it all for the second time, selling my Aguilar Tonehammers, only to then have to buy them again. Hopefully I`ll learn from this that as much as I want a big looking stack, I`m too knacked to be carrying one - even of a 13lb racked amp and Barefaced lightweight 410 & 210 - so it has to be a small Class D amp and a single 2x12 (Barefaced of course) cab.

Basically I need to adopt a bit of common sense in both the wallet, the ears, and the back.
[/quote]

I'm finally coming to the same conclusion. I love to try new basses and amps but I like what I like I.e. what I already have. As I think you mentioned in another thread Lozz, I'm tempted to buy new amps but all I'd do is spend time trying to make them sound like my Trace SMX's.

I'm at the age now where I have a sound in my head that I know and love (rightly or wrongly perhaps to other people) and anything different to that sound is just wrong. The problem is I really do like buying and selling and meeting great people. In conclusion, I think boredom is a big part of it 😧

Edited by Deedee

It's the thrill of the chase but also a learning experience.

I have had to go through some basses to find what I like and what is confortabke to play, and am pretty sure I know what it is now. I can't get on with precisions due to the neck profile, so this also rules out stingrays sadly. But the ray 5, Sterling bass, and precision with jazz neck are all in my arsenal now and love them.

I just hate the dread you feel a our a week after you do a deal that falls short of expectation, which is where I'm at right now. But I got it for a steal so the comfort is I can hopefully make some coin and by something else!!!

I'm not helping an I??

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1476742391' post='3156948']

[/quote]

The new Fender Professional Series will tempt you Lozz!

It's the availability of gear too. In the dim and distant past I'd have to trave to my local music shops or trawl the free ads and I'd buy what I found if I wanted it. Now with one click I can find anything I want.

I lived for 10 years as a semi pro with 2 basses, one of which I never really used.

I could go back to that now, but it would take some restraint.

What I try and do is recognise if I'm buying something because I genuinely want it (my DB) or because I am bored (pre CBS Jaguar).

[quote name='Burns-bass' timestamp='1476823218' post='3157648']
It's the availability of gear too. In the dim and distant past I'd have to trave to my local music shops or trawl the free ads and I'd buy what I found if I wanted it. Now with one click I can find anything I want.
[/quote]

Very good point 🤔

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1476707472' post='3156446']
I've been giving this some thought this morning. I've often thought that my apparent need to swap gear every few months was GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), but I realise now that it's just boredom or familiarity and wanting something new to play with. I've never had a lot of disposable income and have, in the past, owned basses that cost around the £200-£300 mark. A few years ago, I came into a little bit of money and decided to treat myself. I ordered a brand new Rickenbacker 4003.
Once it arrived, I played it at a few rehearsals and one gig before coming to the conclusion that I fancied something else. I traded it with another BC'er for a 30th Anniversary Stingray, a great instrument but after a few weeks, I regretted letting the Rick go and got in touch with the guy I'd traded it with. Happily, he wasn't feeling the Ricky love and was happy to swap back.
A few weeks later, I'd grown tired of the Rick (again) and agreed a trade with another BC'er for a beautiful US Fender Custom Shop Jazz. That was sold a short time later to a BC'er in Belgium IIRC. Each sale since that has resulted in small losses, until most of the £1800 I'd invested in the Rick had disappeared.
I now sit here, looking at my Squier Jazz and think to myself, "What on earth did I think that I was going to find that was better than that Jazz? Why didn't I just hang onto that?"
Even now, I have searches set up on Ebay and Gumtree, looking for the 'next bass'. When will I learn

Has anyone else gone down this road?
[/quote]

Hi M, I was the guy with the Ray 30th if you remember. The irony of the story is that about a year or so later I traded another bass for a Rick 4003 and it turned out to be your old one so we ended up reunited.
I've still got it and it gets used for the odd gig in my 80s covers band,
All the best, Mart

On the point of looking for new inspiration, however temporary, might be exactly what I need.

I've just returned to this site after a few years away and hardly picking up a bass. After a few house moves it looks like my amp is knackered and I don't really have the available funds to get it fixed, nor have the know how to even attempt it myself.

After a few days back on here I've brought the basses out, polished and tuned them up (looking lovely as ever), had a noodle on each but...just wasn't feeling it.

I have seen an awful lot in the marketplace which is making me want to try something new though. Hopefully leading to a new drive to get playing and gigging again.

Will it happen? I don't know. Am I just spouting? Probably. But we'll see what happens!

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1476823213' post='3157647']
The new Fender Professional Series will tempt you Lozz!
[/quote]

I will try my very best to not read a word about these once they`re out. The thought of a Bodie or Doyle bass playing duh-duh duh is just too tempting by far.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1476993136' post='3159128']

Hi M, I was the guy with the Ray 30th if you remember. The irony of the story is that about a year or so later I traded another bass for a Rick 4003 and it turned out to be your old one so we ended up reunited.
I've still got it and it gets used for the odd gig in my 80s covers band,
All the best, Mart
[/quote]

Wow, that's amazing. I'm pretty sure that the guy, I swapped the Rick for the CS Jazz with, lived miles away, up North. Good to hear that it still gets played occasionally.