Why become a member? ×

Interesting DB transportation method

petebassist

Saw a guy today carrying a double bass on his head, much like a Nepalese sherpa carrying gear up a mountain. It looked like it was in a thick padded bag, but he didn't seem to have anything on his head to balance it. Might give it a try the next time I have a local rehearsal ;-)

Guest Jecklin

This is not the image I was looking for as this chap is in America, but I would regularly see a double bassist moving his bass around london by cargobike. I assumed you'd seen something similar :D I wouldn't be inclined to learn the head method myself

Guest Jecklin

On the topic of cargo bikes, if I was able to store a cargo bike somewhere (I can't, flat too small and up stairs) I would NEVER use public transport in London to move my instrument and gig gear ever again.

I used to see a guy most nights at Marylebone. I'm guessing he was a student at the Royal college of music which is just down the road. Anyway, he was only about 5 foot 2 or something, carrying this huge orchestral double bass on his back. Having to lean forward to counteract the backward pull of the bass. I used to feel so sorry for him struggling through the crowded station concourse, and through the barrier. Then consider how lucky I was with my relatively light bass in it's bag on back.